The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26 February 2024, 05:00 AM   #1
MuchMoore
2024 Pledge Member

The 1655 (my vintage Rolex story)

Backstory:
My father was head of data processing for a regional bank based out of south Florida in the 60s and 70s. Mounting work pressure paired with significant growth and changes to that area prompted a substantial shift in priorities and lifestyle for my parents (just dating at the time). They moved further north and he adopted a more free/entrepreneurial mindset for the remainder of his life, resulting in far more flexibility and a wealth of fulfilling experiences. He passed a number of years ago and left behind several mysteries…

The lore:
I had heard about “the Rolex” on several occasions during my elementary years, but never actually laid eyes on the watch or any paperwork/evidence indicating it existed. As entrepreneurial pursuits can be financially challenging, I assumed that at some point the watch had been sold in a moment of need.

Honestly, it hadn’t crossed my mind in nearly 15 years until my mom was sorting through items in the valuables safe and pulled out a case containing a handful of watches. Most were in nice condition, but of the Luminox/Invicta variety and not terribly meaningful. He typically wore inexpensive, functional, or replicas as his day-to-day activities often damaged or destroyed watches. Two of watches stood out though, both with the Rolex crown and markings on the dial.

The watch:
I will confess that I was not knowledgable or even much of an enthusiast until this adventure, so neither passed my initial assessment as authentic. The “Submariner” felt cheap with a clear lack of quality and the Explorer II’s condition was simply confusing - the bracelet obviously did not match and the dial’s hour markers were no longer crisp white. I chalked these up indicators of another poor replica and took both watches to have them confirmed as fake by a jeweler at some point.

Months passed and they had slipped my mind yet again until I received a call from my mother - she had stumbled on a receipt for $114.00 from early 80s to replace the crystal on an “explorer”. This rather large sum (for the 80s) stuck me, but I could not recall the model of the second watch and scrambled to locate it once the call ended. Sure enough, the dial read “Explorer II” which immediately launched me into several hours of feverish research to determine whether or not this was a genuine article.

I quickly saw signs the watch might not only be real, but unique and sought-after. Characteristics which I had foolishly associated with “fake” actually turned out to be the strongest indicators of authenticity - the cream colored lume and Jubilee band. Research revealed what you all know, the lume gradually changes color over the years and forms a rich patina. The bracelet was real, but not “correct” for this reference - I suspect he chose the Jubilee over an Oyster as it would have had a dressier look in his mind.

A local jeweler subsequently authenticated the 1655 and generously offered $700-$1500 if I were interested in selling, so I will not be returning there, ever.

I think it’s only right that the watch be made as “correct” as possible, so I’m hunting for the proper bracelet (first priority), a box, and perhaps a booklet or calendar. I've kept my eye on eBay, but would love a more trustworthy source for a vintage band.

Ideally a ’73 7863/380 which I believe would have originally been included with the watch (3,34x mil SN)…OR

A ’82 78360/580 which could have been purchased when the crystal was replaced, in my hypothetical canon for the watch.

Or a ’93 78360/580 which could have been purchased at the 20-year mark of ownership, also in my hypothetical canon ha.

I suspect we also have some blanks to fill in when it comes to the story of vintage watches, so don’t judge too harshly.

Sorry that this was such a long read, but I wanted to document the story and figured this might be as good a place as any to share and learn more about Rolex and early 1655s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2429 Medium.jpeg (139.5 KB, 550 views)
MuchMoore is offline   Reply With Quote