The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 November 2022, 04:11 AM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Life doesn't suck (AKA 5%)

Most of us here are blessed, privileged, take your pick of what word pleases you the most. Many of us got to where we are from hard work, solid financial smarts and good looks. And yes, Chewy, we still have to deal with the great unwashed.

So, today I sold my spare car to Carvana because it's a hassle selling cars to regular people, and Carvana offered me the most (compared to local franchise dealer and Carmax). I could have paid them $75 to come and get the car, but it's not far from work so I figured I would just bring it in.

So I made an appointment.

As is my way, I was early. No one was there. Several people were also waiting, and by the time someone came out to see me, it was past appointment time. I told them I had an appointment, and she said "he's with his 11:30 which is running late, so he'll be with you soon." I had to wait another 15 minutes.

Once he arrived, it only took a few minutes, but OMG did he have some bad B.O.!!!! Then he went to get my check. As I waited for that, someone else came out and asked the young girl and her mom if they had an appointment... by this time it's about 12:10 and she answered, "yes, but it was at 11:30".

Guy comes back with check, and I asked if he was going to get me an Uber (that's part of their deal). He says, "I gotta find the dude who does that," and went in the back. I waited another 5 minutes and just ordered the Uber myself. He shows up 10 minutes later, and the Carvana guy still hasn't come back out. I just paid for it myself.

My time is valuable to me. Not to them, obviously.

UberDude won't let me sit up front. He's kind of rude about it. The car was clean but had some bad tires or bearings and made a horrible noise, not horrible enough to drown out the gawdawful technocrap music he has on the radio.

But he didn't kill me on the way home, so I gave him a tip anyway.

And so now I'm home, working from home as I am occasionally permitted to do so, sitting on the back porch with my laptop, enjoying the gorgeous mid-70s weather that we are experiencing now in NC, and thinking to myself that no, I'm not in the 1% but I'm probably in the upper 5% of Americans, and really, this doesn't suck.

And I'll probably sit out here the rest of the afternoon. We're getting ready for a huge project at work, so as I wait for that to get cranked-up, I'm not terribly busy so I have time to post here on this esteemed forum and shop for another spare car.

I suspect that you too have free time (you're reading this, aren't you?) and probably in the top 5% or so, so chime in, share with us how you are enjoying your preferred status.

And yes, next time, I'm paying the $75 and let them pick up the car.

BTW, this is the second car I've sold to Carvana. I won't buy a car from them, but for selling, it's a nice business model.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 04:25 AM   #2
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613

Unfortunately or fortunately, I don’t feel I’m in the top 5% of Americans. But I’m working on giving my family everything I can and accumulating as much as I can to help others, so hopefully I eventually make it there because that’s a lot of ways to help people. I’d think the top 5% have 7-8 zeroes in their net worth. At least.

I think of myself as middle class that’s just lucky enough to be blessed with the intuition to not have to keep up with the Jones’ when times are great but also the perseverance to fight like hell and find solutions when things are terrible.

If we just include those in my age group (millennials) I’d say I’m in top 5% but i don’t know if I’d be correct or not.

However, even where I am in the percentage, life is truly good. Stay blessed man!!

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 05:02 AM   #3
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
I'm just here to read the response from Chewy.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 05:32 AM   #4
Star Ferry
Banned

Paying the $75 would have been a no brainer for me. But overall, sounds like coming face to face with more desperate folks was a positive thing that led to gratitude. So all’s well that ends well.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 05:48 AM   #5
Wes911
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Unfortunately or fortunately, I don’t feel I’m in the top 5% of Americans. But I’m working on giving my family everything I can and accumulating as much as I can to help others, so hopefully I eventually make it there because that’s a lot of ways to help people. I’d think the top 5% have 7-8 zeroes in their net worth. At least.

I think of myself as middle class that’s just lucky enough to be blessed with the intuition to not have to keep up with the Jones’ when times are great but also the perseverance to fight like hell and find solutions when things are terrible.

If we just include those in my age group (millennials) I’d say I’m in top 5% but i don’t know if I’d be correct or not.

However, even where I am in the percentage, life is truly good. Stay blessed man!!

You think 5 out of every 100 people in America have a net worth of over $10 million?
Wes911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 06:00 AM   #6
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes911 View Post
You think 5 out of every 100 people in America have a net worth of over $10 million?

Upon investigation it appears 1.13% of American households have net worth over 10m.

It appears I was wrong however, 4.41% have net worth over 3m.
Old 5 November 2022, 06:02 AM   #7
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 06:10 AM   #8
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yeah, I don't know. This is a tough one. Just yesterday, as my wife was being admitted to a mental health facility, I was wondering WTF was going on. Cousin lost her mom 1.5mos to complications from diabetes, friend lost their 3yr old to pediatric cancer on Wednesday, former athlete/ friend lost the child she was still carrying only 18 weeks into pregnancy and had to wait till she was septic before doctors could intervene. This has been the most fucked up couple of months I've ever experienced.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 06:16 AM   #9
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Yeah, I don't know. This is a tough one. Just yesterday, as my wife was being admitted to a mental health facility, I was wondering WTF was going on. Cousin lost her mom 1.5mos to complications from diabetes, friend lost their 3yr old to pediatric cancer on Wednesday, former athlete/ friend lost the child she was still carrying only 18 weeks into pregnancy and had to wait till she was septic before doctors could intervene. This has been the most fucked up couple of months I've ever experienced.

Man, that sucks. My prayers to you, your family and friends.

Old 5 November 2022, 06:33 AM   #10
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Not in the top 5% so I guess it's unhappiness for me (sigh)
Old 5 November 2022, 06:37 AM   #11
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Not in the top 5% so I guess it's unhappiness for me (sigh)
As someone in the top 5% it's truly amazing here. Sorry you cannot experience this unbridled pleasure

Oh wait, I live in a place where "top 5%" nationally is basically poor by local standards
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 06:56 AM   #12
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
That is terrible. I hope your family and friends are doing ok through this tough time.

Hang in there, and TRF is always here for you.
JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 07:04 AM   #13
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Another way to look at the top 5%

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/24/how-...-us-state.html
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 07:10 AM   #14
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I still remember having to set a limit on what we would spend on groceries. Only buying two things of formula at a time, putting $40 in gas in because we couldn’t fill up. It was only maybe 10 years ago, but it’s nice to have that stuff in the past.

Being in the top 5% or 2% or whatever it breaks down to for California is nice, i just buy nicer stuff and wear nicer clothes. We drive nicer cars, but when we stopped having to look at grocery prices and budgeting for very basic necessities, everything else was just icing on top.

I have to remind myself every once in a while, things are pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 07:14 AM   #15
eman1200
"TRF" Member

<---- self-made hundredaire
eman1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 07:18 AM   #16
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Unless I’m mistaken, from an earnings perspective a 1%er earns about 450k+, 2% earn 300+, 3% at 200+, and only about 13% of Americans (10% of men) earn 100k+…. Something along those lines I think, but I digress.

I try my hardest everyday to recognize that I’m a lucky sob. Even when my back hurts, or coffee taste bad, or lunch sucks….. whatever… I am very lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 07:24 AM   #17
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear this man. We are rooting for you and especially your wife.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 07:56 AM   #18
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
I’m very blessed and live only on SSDI. Set my alarm every 2nd Wednesday of the month at 0245 to watch my direct deposit go in. Truly blessed.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 08:11 AM   #19
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Quote:
I have been on TRF for a long time. It is a tough one and that is one of the toughest I have read here.

Hoping your wife recovers as quickly as possible, and the very best to you.
Old 5 November 2022, 08:36 AM   #20
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Sorry to hear, Dustin.

Quote:
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 09:41 AM   #21
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Stay strong Dustin, the wife needs you right now.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 11:35 AM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

312345016_435248512135323_588463978909986919_n.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 12:47 PM   #23
Jeffreylucky1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Prayers and positive thoughts to you and yours. I've had a few runs like that. I always try to count my blessings, but sometimes it's really hard....
Jeffreylucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 10:25 PM   #24
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Sorry to hear Dustin...all are especially hard to deal with. The wife one is a scary one. I hope they are able to help her get through this.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 10:49 PM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
One of my best friends is one of those guys who is always smiling ear to ear. He has not had a particularly easy path in life at least relative to mine in some respects. When we were maybe 21 I asked him how the hell he is always in such a good mood and he told me “because I’m above ground.”

Old 5 November 2022, 10:56 PM   #26
THC

Watch: 16610M
Personally, i am a very healthy 66/ was a nerd in high school and college, I never played any sports, so all my knees and joints are pain free and all that, to me, puts me in the top 5% of riches.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 11:03 PM   #27
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, that's a load to carry. Best of luck and wishes.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 01:03 AM   #28
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting thread about the highs and lows of life and sort of reflects that having money or not does not equate to good health or good luck in other areas.

Good luck to you Dustin in your family struggles and I hope things work out.
Old 6 November 2022, 01:08 AM   #29
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I am on my way to my beloved mother’s funeral, where I will give the eulogy I have dreaded giving for years. Right now, I couldn’t care less about what the percentage of finances I qualify for.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 01:10 AM   #30
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mental health is no joke, wishing you all the best
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote