The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2024, 04:35 AM   #121
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
So it's the number, not the size? Not saying you're wrong, because your not, but us mathematically minded people want to pull our hair out when we read things like that.
For the non-enthusiast it's the number more than anything. Someone that is used to wearing a 40mm Sub or whatever is not going to even look at a watch with a quoted 44mm+ size.

Now for me, as an enthusiast, it's more than just the number. They are in fact bigger than they should be in my opinion. The size and thickness were two of the reasons I wound up selling my Speedmaster Moonphase. It was a beautiful watch but just bigger than it needed to be.

I have a large wrist at 7.5" and typically wear 41-43mm watches, but the combination of 44.25mm width and ~17mm thickness was just over the top. Unfortunate because there was a lot I liked about that watch.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:45 AM   #122
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
The OG DSOTM in 2014 was indeed a hair above 16mm thick. The apollo 8 dsotm was thinner at 13mm.

As with most speedmasters with crown guards, they typically wear 2mm smaller than their advertised size. So this 44.25mm watch wears closer to a 42mm, which unfortunately for me is still too damn big

On the plus side, my wallet gets to stay closed.
My bad, I should have said the original Apollo 8 DSOTM. I have liked it since its release. Sorry for the confusion

The previous Appolo 8 DSOTM:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (189.0 KB, 1335 views)
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 07:57 AM   #123
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

I've actually always liked the blacked out look with the yellow accents, and that new rocket seconds hand is pretty cool. Need to try this on in person to see how it fits though.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 08:11 AM   #124
FiftyH
"TRF" Member

fit is smaller than you think. similar to polar explorer 2
FiftyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 10:42 AM   #125
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REQUIEMnJADED4U View Post
So I stopped by the Omega Boutique on 5th Ave in NYC this weekend. I started chatting an SA about the rumor and pics of Daniel Craig wearing it. The manager was in the area and walked over. He advised that this specific picture is a fake rendering and that they (Omega) haven't released any official images yet. He told me he had no information to provide to me at this time other than the watch is very much so real as he was the one who put it on Daniel Craig's wrist the day of the event in NYC and that it will not be a limited edition/run and will be in full production.

Another SA pulled me aside and asked me for my contact info and advised I would be hearing from him in 2 weeks as he couldn't say anything with his boss there before. So it looks like it with be either released or announced in 2 weeks' time. We'll see.
Yeah, that pic doesn't quite look like the one on Daniel Craig's wrist. The one on his wrist looks pure white. This rendering looks a bit silverfish. I like the white for sure. I talked to my local boutique and he also said it's coming.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 07:07 PM   #126
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
I've actually always liked the blacked out look with the yellow accents, and that new rocket seconds hand is pretty cool. Need to try this on in person to see how it fits though.
As novel as the Saturn V rocket second hand is.
It seems just a little too Moonswatch like for me
Perhaps Omega is actually losing their identity and losing control of their Flagship watch identity by extension.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 10:42 PM   #127
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Omega never fails to disappoint. That should be the new slogan. I do not know what is happening with them but they remind me of Panerai back in the day. Great customer support and a cult like following. Based on some significant corporate decisions they alienated the customer base and so many people moved away, never to return. I am a huge fan but even I have to take pause and acknowledge something is wrong. What I hear from my fellow enthusiasts of late is excuses. You don't need to explain, if it works, or it is right. Probably more the Swatch Group but so many missed opportunities. The fiasco of the Moonswatch. Let's grab as much cash as we can and diminish the overall Omega brand in the process. Can Omega do anything other than a Speedmaster or Seamaster that is commercially successful? I have hope, but with each misstep it is hard not to acknowledge the challenges ahead. As far as this new DSOTM it is a 14k cash grab for a watch they already did that almost no one bought, except me and a few others. Many say it is cool but few will buy one. Just introduce the white dial Speedmaster and go on with it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 03:47 AM   #128
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Omega never fails to disappoint. That should be the new slogan. I do not know what is happening with them but they remind me of Panerai back in the day. Great customer support and a cult like following. Based on some significant corporate decisions they alienated the customer base and so many people moved away, never to return. I am a huge fan but even I have to take pause and acknowledge something is wrong. What I hear from my fellow enthusiasts of late is excuses. You don't need to explain, if it works, or it is right. Probably more the Swatch Group but so many missed opportunities. The fiasco of the Moonswatch. Let's grab as much cash as we can and diminish the overall Omega brand in the process. Can Omega do anything other than a Speedmaster or Seamaster that is commercially successful? I have hope, but with each misstep it is hard not to acknowledge the challenges ahead. As far as this new DSOTM it is a 14k cash grab for a watch they already did that almost no one bought, except me and a few others. Many say it is cool but few will buy one. Just introduce the white dial Speedmaster and go on with it.

I can not agree more. Flash a white dial and deliver a dark side with 44mm size and upticked price.. a complete let down.

On the other hand, I can take this white dial fund and go buy a few great classic Panerai(s) to enjoy
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 05:21 AM   #129
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have been reviewing the detailed pics which are coming out of the new DSOTM and I believe I may have been excessively harsh in my judgement and critique of Omega.

The details on the dial and the Saturn V are outstanding and even though I have handled the first DSOTM. It hadn't occurred to me to look beyond the Ceramic case and everything else about it to observe the craftmanship.
To that, perhaps the new one is completely revised from the previous version and they've ratcheted up their workmanship to justify the price increase?
Who knows.
Maybe the detail on the dial is a faithful reproduction of the actual lunar surface. The detail of the Saturn V rocket alone is commendable

That's what happens when one sleeps on it.
One often wakes up to view things with a fresh set of eyes.
Old 18 January 2024, 07:51 AM   #130
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I have been reviewing the detailed pics which are coming out of the new DSOTM and I believe I may have been excessively harsh in my judgement and critique of Omega.

The details on the dial and the Saturn V are outstanding and even though I have handled the first DSOTM. It hadn't occurred to me to look beyond the Ceramic case and everything else about it to observe the craftmanship.
To that, perhaps the new one is completely revised from the previous version and they've ratcheted up their workmanship to justify the price increase?
Who knows.
Maybe the detail on the dial is a faithful reproduction of the actual lunar surface. The detail of the Saturn V rocket alone is commendable

When I looked closer at the 'lunar surface' I also found it quite enviable. It is way nicer, at least in big pictures. Not sure my eye can appreciate the difference on my wrist however. Will have to reserve final judgement for when I can try one on.
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 07:19 AM   #131
Cr_Zeek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post

Who knows.

I didn't think much of this watch until I saw the high res pictures on a 4K display and read about the details.

Apparently the front of watch matches the side of the moon we see and the back side matches the dark side which Apollo 8 crew saw for the first time.

The Saturn rocket, newer movement and also thinner than its predecessor all count for signicant upgrades.

I think Omega has put a lot of work into this. Not sure if its 3K worth but I think one needs to hold IRL to be able to appreciate it.

I may actually be very interested in it. Its not a daily watch IMHO but its an intriguing watch especially in the over saturated moonwatch, seamaster, submariner, GMT II crowd.
Cr_Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 10:08 AM   #132
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Needs to go full panda
"Everybody knows you never go full panda"
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 11:06 PM   #133
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
"Everybody knows you never go full panda"

Love that movie.
Old 8 February 2024, 01:20 PM   #134
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5212a
Any updates here?
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Aboutderntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 03:25 AM   #135
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I heard it’s April now. Was going to be end of Feb.
On the basis that no one has seen the summer blue ProPlof yet, who knows!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 04:54 AM   #136
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Not sure if this means anything …

IMG_7217.jpg

Old 11 February 2024, 10:23 AM   #137
Sephiroth
"TRF" Member

I was just at OB Orlando today and they said the white is coming in March and put me on the ‘list’.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 12:10 AM   #138
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I was just at OB Orlando today and they said the white is coming in March and put me on the ‘list’.

Thanks. Good to know.

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 02:05 AM   #139
EmJay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
that bracelet looks wrong to me on a white dial. Not sure why.
EmJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 08:57 AM   #140
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

I’ve heard from my AD that the white speedy will be released the first Tuesday of March (I’ve already placed a deposit). Spoke with another collector who heard the same news today from a different Boutique.
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Old 14 February 2024, 09:03 AM   #141
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboutderntime View Post
I’ve heard from my AD that the white speedy will be released the first Tuesday of March (I’ve already placed a deposit). Spoke with another collector who heard the same news today from a different Boutique.

Non-limited?

bibbi
bibbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 11:12 AM   #142
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
Non-limited?

bibbi
My understanding is steel, non-limited, same price as the original black dial counterpart (sapphire).

I’d imagine it will be challenging to find at the start but will likely become more available as time goes on. Just my two cents.
Old 14 February 2024, 11:39 AM   #143
kl2244
"TRF" Member

I'm a huge fan of this beautiful watch and I plan on adding it to my collection.
kl2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 02:03 PM   #144
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogster View Post
That's going to hammer Alaska Project on the secondary.
No idea, but my buddy just got an Alaska Project last week. Such a great piece.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 05:02 PM   #145
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboutderntime View Post
Good news
Not long to wait now.
Old 14 February 2024, 09:24 PM   #146
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
For the non-enthusiast it's the number more than anything. Someone that is used to wearing a 40mm Sub or whatever is not going to even look at a watch with a quoted 44mm+ size.

Now for me, as an enthusiast, it's more than just the number. They are in fact bigger than they should be in my opinion. The size and thickness were two of the reasons I wound up selling my Speedmaster Moonphase. It was a beautiful watch but just bigger than it needed to be.

I have a large wrist at 7.5" and typically wear 41-43mm watches, but the combination of 44.25mm width and ~17mm thickness was just over the top. Unfortunate because there was a lot I liked about that watch.
Exact same thing happened to me. I had the 9904 moonphase for about 6 months back in 2020, but, I had to let it go, it was just obnoxiously thick, probably the most poorly-balanced watch I've ever owned. And it broke my heart because I otherwise loved that watch
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 10:12 PM   #147
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I hope that it is released in March.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 10:20 PM   #148
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
Exact same thing happened to me. I had the 9904 moonphase for about 6 months back in 2020, but, I had to let it go, it was just obnoxiously thick, probably the most poorly-balanced watch I've ever owned. And it broke my heart because I otherwise loved that watch
My heart was broken too. It was the best looking watch I've ever owned but the size, thickness, and legibility issues eventually took their toll along with an uncomfortable sharp edged bracelet. It hurt to let it go but no regrets. Uncomfortable and hard to read is not a great combination
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 08:54 PM   #149
Daytonaboy1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
I hope that it is released in March.
Heard end of Feb/early March from Omega Boutique. My man is normally spot on with his info.
Daytonaboy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 07:23 AM   #150
isgrb
"TRF" Member

I was at the local boutique last weekend and they said similar things regarding timing.
isgrb is offline   Reply With Quote