The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 April 2024, 12:54 AM   #1
SN2354
"TRF" Member

AP 3120 Movement- Intermittent Stopping?

Hi All

I am a bit new to the AP world. I have a 15300 for the past 4-5 weeks, running great as far as time goes over the past few days I have been having a weird issue with the watch.

Out of nowhere, I look at the watch and it is just not running. Obviously shaking my wrist a little bit will get it going, but I have to set the time so just naturally I would hand wind it several times and then set the time again. The same thing happens again a couple of days later, so on and so forth.

My experience leads me to believe there is something wrong with the auto-wind mechanism, but this is a really odd problem to have.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there an easy fix?
SN2354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 10:40 PM   #2
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN2354 View Post
Hi All

I am a bit new to the AP world. I have a 15300 for the past 4-5 weeks, running great as far as time goes over the past few days I have been having a weird issue with the watch.

Out of nowhere, I look at the watch and it is just not running. Obviously shaking my wrist a little bit will get it going, but I have to set the time so just naturally I would hand wind it several times and then set the time again. The same thing happens again a couple of days later, so on and so forth.

My experience leads me to believe there is something wrong with the auto-wind mechanism, but this is a really odd problem to have.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there an easy fix?
Did you try to give it a full 30 to 50 full winds?
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:29 AM   #3
SN2354
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon Guy View Post
Did you try to give it a full 30 to 50 full winds?
Honestly have not done it in a month, this morning gave it the 40 winds, but it tends to stop overnight figure after 8 hours, not all the time but has happened a few times over the past 10 days

I hope that does help, I can report back if the issue persists.
Old 11 April 2024, 11:56 AM   #4
ciceroyeah
"TRF" Member

It probably needs service. It's an older watch. Send it in for a service.
ciceroyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 01:27 AM   #5
SN2354
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceroyeah View Post
It probably needs service. It's an older watch. Send it in for a service.
It was serviced recently

However I wound it up 40 times 2 days ago and so far has not stopped, let's see if it holds up for a few more days as I hope the issue resolves itself. If not, back to service
Old 17 April 2024, 12:37 AM   #6
SN2354
"TRF" Member

As an update, I had an even bigger issue when changing the time (due to movement stopping!) The crown/stem just came right out. So I guess it is in need of servicing. I am trying to see if anybody locally NY/NJ can repair it, but unsure how this happened as it was serviced somewhat recently
Old 17 April 2024, 03:14 AM   #7
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As an update, I had an even bigger issue when changing the time (due to movement stopping!) The crown/stem just came right out. So I guess it is in need of servicing. I am trying to see if anybody locally NY/NJ can repair it, but unsure how this happened as it was serviced somewhat recently
Serviced by AP? I thought that comes with a 2-year (?) warranty.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 06:53 AM   #8
SN2354
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Serviced by AP? I thought that comes with a 2-year (?) warranty.
it expired, so I am on my own with this one. After some more reading, it is not uncommon for the stem to come out while winding or changing time. I just did not expect it to happen so quickly. I was definitely not rough on it, and just needed to give it a good wind (40 times) which I guess is what made it happen
Old 17 April 2024, 09:44 AM   #9
SN2354
"TRF" Member

Quick update- I had a local reputable watchsmith take a look at it, he fixed the stem within a couple of hours. Picking it up tomorrow morning
Old 20 April 2024, 03:12 AM   #10
leisen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quick update- I had a local reputable watchsmith take a look at it, he fixed the stem within a couple of hours. Picking it up tomorrow morning
You're a lucky man. I had the exact same problem with my 15300ST. APSC forced me to do a full service to reinsert the stem arguing that the watch had not been serviced for five years.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote