The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 March 2016, 07:57 PM   #1
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Trusted Sellers

Chaps

The most regular bit of advice in this forum is to "buy the seller" and this is excellent advice because you can do a deal in the full knowledge that you have just bought the genuine article.

Ok, let us now move forward by say 10 years and you want to sell the watch. You are not a trusted seller and anyone who takes the trusted seller advice will give you a wide berth.

So how do you sell the watch.

I am not a trusted seller, I could be a scheming crook or an evil fraudster and who is going to trust me as not being a charlatan. How am I going to sell my watch at a good price if no one trusts me ?

Regards

Mick

PS - I don't want to sell my watches, just raising an academic question.
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 07:58 PM   #2
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
You sell your watch to a trusted seller From my experience DavidSW will give you a fair price for your modern Rolex and it is pain free.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 08:00 PM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
You sell your watch to a trusted seller
This here. They will buy your watch. Just send them a PM.
Old 14 March 2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Like any other line of business, you have to build a reputation. And you'll need to be a pledge member, of course
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Mick P
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
You sell your watch to a trusted seller From my experience DavidSW will give you a fair price for your modern Rolex and it is pain free.
I am in the UK.

Also if you sell your watch to a trusted seller, he has to make a living so you are not going to get the best price.

This sort of kills the idea that Rolex is an "investment".

Mick
Old 14 March 2016, 08:15 PM   #6
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
I am in the UK.

Also if you sell your watch to a trusted seller, he has to make a living so you are not going to get the best price.

Mick
For a few hundred $ I would rather sell to a trusted seller as it is very pain free. if you insist on selling privately you will have to become a pledge member to post in for sale forum or you could try eBay if your selling limit is high enough. Good luck
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 08:48 PM   #7
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
I am in the UK.

Mick
Probably the second most common piece of info here at TRF is that "buying a Rolex is not an investment".

With that said there's a value to what these trusted sellers do when you talk about them making a living, and to me it's a bargain. In my experience, trusted sellers have upsold a watch I've sold them for typically 10-12% more.

IMO that's Nothing to avoid dealing with photographing the watch, listing across multiple platforms, dealing with lowball offers and often crazy people, and here's where the real value comes in... Dealing with the risk of selling to a crazy person. There are more buyer scams out there then there are seller scams.

In other words, people buy your watch, contact PayPal and say the watch was broken, or was missing or unauthentic, next thing you know you're in a battle with PayPal to keep your money. It's all honestly a pain in the butt, and to me easily worth a $700 loss on a $7000 watch.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 11:27 PM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am in the UK.

Mick
But you get piece of mind.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 11:40 PM   #9
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
I don't think he means selling his watch to a trusted seller as he means if he wants to sell his watch, would the person buying off him think he was trusted seller. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 15 March 2016, 12:20 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I am in the UK.

Mick
First Rolex watches should not be thought of as investments far better things to invest money in.So you should buy the watch you want to own and wear for the next 30 odd years in good health hopefully thats far more important I can assure you.And if you ever need to sell, and watch gave you a good return on original price paid.Then just think of it as a bonus of owning and enjoying that watch over those years,now thats whats owning a Rolex is about its not all ££££$$$$$.`And today most Rolex watches are quite easy to sell on the market especially those in good condition with service history.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 12:20 AM   #11
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I live in the UK like you, I would advertise it as UK sale only and because of the relatively short distance and high amount of money I would ask for a F2F.

I would not box it up, pay for the insurance, send it to another country to a person I have never met (trusted seller or not) for them to make the profit on it rather than me. The insurance, postage and percentage that the trusted seller would make could easily add up to to well over £1000.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 12:23 AM   #12
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
You have built relationships with previous sellers and members here. It's not like you joined the forum yesterday and want to sell something. Being here for 2 years and contributing to discussions, along with references you will be fine to sell it yourself. Be honest with people and as Adam said you will need to be a pledge to sell anything..
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 12:44 AM   #13
Mick P
Banned

Chaps

I did say in my first post that I have no intention of selling any watch.

I have 3 Rolex and my wife has one and we will pass them onto the kids when our time comes to meet our maker.

My point was that pushing trusted sellers is fine but it also makes a lot of us "untrusted sellers" and that makes it more difficult to sell if the time ever comes.

Mick
Old 15 March 2016, 12:48 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You will want to take very high quality pictures and offer to meet buyers in person. I have sold a half dozen watches here, half to people I did not know and half to Thanh and David. When you sell to an unknown, always take wire or cash deposit to your bank in your presence. Nothing else.

When you are willing to eat 500 or so for piece of mind ship it to a dealer. Better yet, if you want something else, dealers are best for trades.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 12:49 AM   #15
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Mick, I already recognize your style of commentary and enjoy your posts.
I saw the pictures of your wife's 45 th anniversary gift.

You are here to stay on TRF.

I would happily do business with you based on that!! Not that you're selling, of course

Any one who enjoys TRF wouldn't want to lose it over a bad deal, IMHO

Best Wishes,
T
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 01:56 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Chaps

I did say in my first post that I have no intention of selling any watch.

I have 3 Rolex and my wife has one and we will pass them onto the kids when our time comes to meet our maker.

My point was that pushing trusted sellers is fine but it also makes a lot of us "untrusted sellers" and that makes it more difficult to sell if the time ever comes.

Mick
There are way too many who blurt out "trusted seller" without much other thought.

We say to "buy the seller", a much different concept. You may have never sold a watch before but your background and references (good name) can still be conveyed to a potential buyer. It is up to the buyer to decide if the seller is trustworthy or not.

We have had a number of so-called "trusted sellers" turn out to be anything but "trusted"

(as a side note, TRF does not actually have any "trusted sellers", only a forum where you can research buyers/sellers)
Old 15 March 2016, 02:39 PM   #17
AK1984
Banned

Simple.
Sell it to trusted seller. You may get 5% less than market, but thats small price to pay for convenience, speed, and safety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AK1984 is offline   Reply With Quote