The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 1 September 2008, 01:13 AM   #1
ntesta05

a hassle to sell a watch privately?

I'm looking to sell my Rolex and have been debating whether to sell it privately or sell it to a "re-seller". I would like to sell it privately (prefer face to face) but don't want to deal with a buyer returning it (if sold over the internet) in case buyer tries to switch out parts and such or wants to return it just because he/she had a change of heart.

anyone who has sold privately thought it was more of a pain to do so vs. just selling it to one of the pre-owned seller stores?
ntesta05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2008, 01:44 AM   #2
gmt master x

Watch: 70 s gmt master.
Nothing is hassle free. i just sold a rolex on ebay and it was a bit of a pain in the ass, the flip side is that for that hassele, i had about 1000 dollars over what the watch dealer would have given me for trading in the same watch, On the other hand the tax etc.
For me it all came down to time and money. Ebay worked but i did have some problems.
Someone stole my photos and ran a duplicate auction ending a few hours before mine. In the end with some help from members of this forum it all worked out and the used rolex did find a new home.
Best of luck in your sale or trade in... hope that helps.
gmt master x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2008, 01:53 AM   #3
ntesta05

I wouldn't sell on ebay, given that they make everyone now use either Paypal or some other electronic payment method as well as jacking up their commission. So after all of the fees, you stand to lose a lot just from paying fees.
Old 1 September 2008, 03:02 AM   #4
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
instead of being an ebayer and trying to get as much as you possibly can out of your watch why dont you come up with a fair price that makes you feel comfortable and that you think would be attractive to other rolex lovers and post it right here on our forum-it will generate good karma and hopefully the next rolex you want to purchase will be from someone doing the same thing right here.just a thought-but trust me I understand that you would like to get as close to what you paid for out of it-I try to factor in the enjoyment I have spent wearing them and deduct that from my ideal price.
unrealistic??maybe but it sounds good-lol
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2008, 06:43 AM   #5
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Whatchagot?
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2008, 12:26 PM   #6
ntesta05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numismatist View Post
Whatchagot?
men's two tone Datejust, bought new in 2003 with box and papers.....but I have to wait to be formally allowed to post an ad. I'm preferring to do a local sale face to face so that I can avoid using an escrow service. Did that before on a previous watch I had and previous buyer marked up my watch pretty good and had to spend time going after him to get compensated. At least with face to face, if he marks it up or whatever, I can hold him/her accountable on the spot.
Old 3 September 2008, 03:32 AM   #7
chc4au
"TRF" Member

I have sold two or three watches on this and Watchnet and Timezone.
I am not a frequent seller by any means but have ocassionally decided to sell a watch I did not wear.
I have only accepted wire transfer of funds. About the only problem are the numerous lowball offers. I have two for sale now but have them on consignment with a local jeweler.
chc4au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2008, 11:07 AM   #8
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
low ball offers are a fact of trading-its called negotiation.I usually mark up a watch by at least 300 bucks just to barter with-then expect to go 200 less than that-lol.
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2008, 11:21 AM   #9
ntesta05

how much of a lowball offer are we talking about? a couple hundred or a few thousand?