The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 May 2019, 04:56 AM   #1
halfcarrot
"TRF" Member

Change date and day only on 5146

As I don’t wear it daily and don’t have it on a winder when not wearing, it is now 4 days behind current date since I bought it. On the manual and every tutorial I’ve seen on how to set 5146, you have to set the date to 1st then cycle through the month, then day and moon phase...
My question is, if I don’t mind the moon phase not being correct, can I just advance the date and day to current day(push date 4 times instead of 30+4 times)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
halfcarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 07:09 AM   #2
PJ S
Banned

If you’re only 4 days behind, then move the hands forward until you’e caught up again.
Puhing the correctors as per the procedure in the manual is so that day, date, and month are all synchronised, and just pushing the day and date ones with the month in its current position may knock the synchronisation out.
As you local Patek SC if that's correct or has no effect, then you’ll know which method you can use to get back up to date when you next decide wear it again.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 10:27 AM   #3
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t own an AC but this sounds like a PIA. Do most people with an AC or PC who wear it in a rotation use a winder??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 10:38 AM   #4
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Can't help you buddy.

But thanks for the post, I've been thinking of buying a 5146 but I'm hesitant for this very reason, a pain to set up every time you want to wear it. A winder will not fit my safe and I'm lazy, I sold a 15202 because of the non quick set date and I'm anal so not setting the moon is not an option...

Am I just better of with a Lange 1 "Darth"? That's my second option.
Old 13 May 2019, 10:41 AM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I follow the manual to a T - set the time at 6am, then push to 1st day of month, before setting the rest.

I don't use a winder and I enjoy this "bonding" process with my watches.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 12:04 PM   #6
halfcarrot
"TRF" Member

I was told by my AD you can just advance the day and date to the current day provided it’s within the same month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
halfcarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 02:57 PM   #7
Rsdecker971
"TRF" Member

I have 2 ACs, both of which present the day, month and date in windows (5135 and 5960). I was told that the most important issue of the date change is ensuring that the watch is outside of its date change cycle, so the time shown on the face is set at least 6 hours clear of either side of midnight. In other words, set at a time between 6AM and 6PM. Other than that, I simply advance the date even if it advances over a month.

My first AC came home 12 years ago and the second 7 years ago. No problems with either and they have only receive standard servicing at 6 years internals.

BUT I do use a winder when I am not traveling. I travel often and don’t have the watches in a winder during these trips. Upon my return, all of the watches are wound and set. Probably set the dates manually 10 - 15 times per year on average.
Rsdecker971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 11:12 PM   #8
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I don’t own an AC but this sounds like a PIA. Do most people with an AC or PC who wear it in a rotation use a winder??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It is a pain. They’re pretty easy to set though. I wear my AC as a daily so it doesn’t run down often.
Old 14 May 2019, 12:02 AM   #9
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Suggestion : order a battery operated winder from PP. It will probably fit in your safe and batteries last about 6 mos. I got one w my 5327 and it is great!
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:32 AM   #10
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Suggestion : order a battery operated winder from PP. It will probably fit in your safe and batteries last about 6 mos. I got one w my 5327 and it is great!
Thanks, I've been looking at some options that could fit (if I move stuff around and use space more efficiently).

How much are these aprox? To have a reference vs the options I've found.
Old 14 May 2019, 07:25 AM   #11
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
For in safe use, I can highly recommend Swiss Kubik winders. Very small footprint and the battery seems to last very long.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote