The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 May 2011, 11:54 AM   #1
lifesgood
"TRF" Member

Watch: S/blue Datejust
Help needed! Thinking of buying this 1935 Rolex, is it worth much?

Hi there helpful souls,

I am considering purchasing a 1935 Rolex, it is 18k gold and seems in good condition besides the dial may need refinishing. It is a ladies watch, and wanted to get it for my sisters as a cool thing to have.

A good friend of mine is a private investigator for Rolex, and she will have a look at it in depth.

How much do you think something like this is worth? I am getting a deal too good to be true because someone has no use for it.

Thanks for your help!
lifesgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 12:08 PM   #2
lifesgood
"TRF" Member

This seems to be a Rolex Cushion Oyster according to my research, but I am no researcher, so I may be wrong.

Edit: I AM wrong!
Old 28 May 2011, 02:54 PM   #3
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
The problem is with these old rolex's that are non sports models.. There is not much of a demand market for them.

Really, these kind of models are worth what ever someone is willing to pay.

I mean you can pick up davis and wilsdorf rolex watches from 1920's with the hunter cases for 1,500 to 2 grand.. and those are the begining of rolex history and look what they sell for.

it just all depends if it sings to you, but do not pick it up for investment.
wanna invest, Grab a vintage sports model rolex. they are easy to move and value keeps going up.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 03:04 PM   #4
lifesgood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
The problem is with these old rolex's that are non sports models.. There is not much of a demand market for them.

Really, these kind of models are worth what ever someone is willing to pay.

I mean you can pick up davis and wilsdorf rolex watches from 1920's with the hunter cases for 1,500 to 2 grand.. and those are the begining of rolex history and look what they sell for.

it just all depends if it sings to you, but do not pick it up for investment.
wanna invest, Grab a vintage sports model rolex. they are easy to move and value keeps going up.
Thanks for the helpful response. I was thinking of picking it up as an investment and also as a fun watch for my sister to wear. I am getting it for $250. I understand what you mean about the demand for that watch, because it is definitely not a daily wearer like my datejust. But what I want to know is whether that 250 is worth the "investment."
Old 28 May 2011, 05:23 PM   #5
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
I will tell you what a real expert in vintage told me very recently. Everything on a vintage watch has to be right: case, dial, hands, movement. That said, $250.00 is a no-brainer if you're certain it's authentic, which is not such an easy thing to determine with early rolexes. The 'rolex' signature on the movement looks a bit weird...block lettering?
also, if it is a rolex, do not refinish that dial! at $250 have fun!
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 08:05 PM   #6
oceandweller

For the amount you are going to pay, provided the watch is a genuine Rolex, do not worry so much about its resale value.

If you do not pick it up, with the price of gold soaring, day by day, the case for such a watch would generally land up in the furnace of a gold-smith.

By buying that watch for whatever reason, just think it this way: you are saving a 'life'. However, for heaven sake, do not refinish the dial. Just leave it as is, untouched. That watch has aged, gracefully.
oceandweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 09:49 PM   #7
adam78
"TRF" Member

Please don't have the (nicely patina'ed) dial refinished.

I'm not sure what kind of strap this would take -- perhaps a cord? I've seen ladies watches on such as these.
Old 28 May 2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam78 View Post
I'm not sure what kind of strap this would take -- perhaps a cord?
Probably an expansion bracelet similar to this one on Nancy's 1937 Rolex. The lugs look the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nancy%20telephone%20Rolex%202.JPG (193.1 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Nancy%20telephone%20Rolex%205.JPG (125.1 KB, 176 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 11:55 PM   #9
Rolex2

From Cooksey et al, movement looks Rolex. Couldn't find it in Imai's "3621 Rolexes", but I can never find an exact model in there anyways. Is there a serial number on the back? The model no. appears to be 32245?
If the case is 18K gold, the case will determine the current value more than anything. I would say at least $500. Hard to determine whether it's a "rare "model that might command higher. Ladies models seem to command less than mens models--perhaps because they are smaller.

As for its authenticity, it's hard to fake a 75 yo watch. What you most likely see is a mixture of parts which makes it hard to trace. I don't think that's the case here--not with solid gold.

I've seen suitcases full of designer watch fakes in my China travels. Late model Daytonas, Presidents, Subs, Oyster Perpetuals, Breitling Chronos, Cartiers--you name it. They look like a lot of the pics I see here on this site. A lot even have auto movements. They work fine for a month or two--then something breaks.

The chances of a "fake" in vintage models is small. More likely, parts have been replaced which partially obscures the identity of the watch.
Rolex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 03:53 AM   #10
lifesgood
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your input guys! I need to rephrase something, I am not sure it is 18k gold, I mistakenly read something that was not part of this watch in the ad. It is solid rose gold, so it make be 9k or something.

I will NOT refinish the dial if I end up buying it, but the block lettering rolex on the movement has me a little concerned. I may have this person meet me at a watch maker to verify the authenticity.

I think with a nice band on there, this would be a great conversation piece on my sister's wrist.

So, should I do it? I mean it is only 250 but that could be 250 for something worth nothing if something does not check out down the line.

I am curious though, was rolex written so simply on the dial before?
Old 29 May 2011, 04:43 AM   #11
lifesgood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam78 View Post
Please don't have the (nicely patina'ed) dial refinished.

I'm not sure what kind of strap this would take -- perhaps a cord? I've seen ladies watches on such as these.
I think this is the kind of strap it needs: http://www.poshtime.co.uk/bigpic2.php?id=473.001
Old 29 May 2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Rolex2

The number 32xxx inside the case is the serial number. It's a 1934 model for sure.

For $250, I think most of us would buy it if you don't.
Rolex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 02:14 PM   #13
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Yea that's a great price considering I just spent that much for the plastic dot that fits into the 12 of my bezel on my sub... Pick it up
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote