The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 August 2007, 08:23 AM   #1
ron17402

Watch: 116710
What do you do for a living?

Hi all,

I'm a Rolex newbie, soon to get my first Rolex, a ceramic SS GMT II.

I was wondering what you all do for a living and if you wear a Rolex, and if so, which one, in your job. I am in outside sales of industrial capital equipment and have been comtemplating the potential reaction, poistive or negative, from my clients to wearing a Rolex.

I'm curious about what your experiences and reactions have been from clients, co-workers, and bosses.

In many of the threads, I read that some of you don't wear your Rolex at work. Why?

Thanks.
ron17402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
Still without job, looking for a bloody job to live and after few months Rolex will come too but most importantly I must start with the job next week that I had interview before otherwise no life.
Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
I`m a watchmaker and work for Rolex and yes I wear them at work ( I do sneek in my Omega too from time to time )
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 08:32 AM   #4
ron17402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
Still without job, looking for a bloody job to live and after few months Rolex will come too but most importantly I must start with the job next week that I had interview before otherwise no life.
Good luck in your job search. I've been there and it's not fun. Keep a picture of your favorite Rolex on your fridge. It will give you motivation.

Many regards!!
Old 10 August 2007, 08:36 AM   #5
96discose7

Watch: Sub
I was in the advertising business for years, after being laid off i decided to persue my after hours passion, BMW's, I am a phone sales rep for Bavarian Autosport and have not missed the ad world at all..... well sometimes... creative pitches can be fun......
96discose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 08:36 AM   #6
ron17402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstark View Post
I`m a watchmaker and work for Rolex and yes I wear them at work ( I do sneek in my Omega too from time to time )
Then you're golden wearing your Rolex. Obviously no negative reaction to wearing youjr Rolex. Do you get any comments about the Omega?

How do like the new GMT? I can't wait. This forum has been very helpful in solidifying my choice of a new SS GMT.
Old 10 August 2007, 08:45 AM   #7
ron17402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96discose7 View Post
I was in the advertising business for years, after being laid off i decided to persue my after hours passion, BMW's, I am a phone sales rep for Bavarian Autosport and have not missed the ad world at all..... well sometimes... creative pitches can be fun......
That's so cool!! You get to combine your passion for BMWs with a paying gig.

What is your favorite BMW? I've had a '93 740i, '94 318i convertable, and the "lovely" ex-wife has a '03 Z4. I love BMWs.
Old 10 August 2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Currently I work at a company doing "plain-vanilla" Pension Fund Accounting.

In a week I start a new job doing Hedge-Fund Accounting. You know, stuff like derivative instruments (futures/forwards), fx-contracts, options, swaps, etc etc. Should be interesting, but also a lot of work. Longer hours than what I am doing now.

I can't wait to get the heck out of where I am now.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 03:42 PM   #9
paypalbid

I'm a special investigator for the biggest insurance company in the United States. I deal with all kinds of frauds on different policies such as Boat, Apartment, Businesss, Homeowners, Personal Articles, Renters....Everything except for Auto Policy because that is separate.

My boss doesn't give a rat 's behind about my watch because he has a really nice Breitling watch. My coworkers dont even notice, they just know that I tend to leave my watch around the office sometimes.

There are 30 investigators in the state of California, and I'm the youngest one at 27 years old. All of them are around 38-60 years old. Can't really relate with most of them but oh well....
paypalbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Blue Bull
Banned

You wont catch me at work without a Rolex on the wrist.7 years,no exception.

The Blue TT Sub gets MANY comments.The SD and the Expl II .. seldom.Everyone has its place and is unique.

Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 04:21 PM   #11
nch209
"TRF" Member

Cop, That right, a copper! I like the nicer things... and wear a 79 GMT 1 ALL THE time, have a Stainless Sub (F), and a New Z Daytona that I have yet to wear!

Oh yea, I wear a nice watch to work every day... lots of stories behind all of them....

clk199z
nch209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 04:37 PM   #12
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I have an education as a grammar school teacher (Master of Arts degree in German and Danish), but I am working in the security business now. I wear my Sub Date all day

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 04:46 PM   #13
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clk199 View Post
Cop, That right, a copper! I like the nicer things... and wear a 79 GMT 1 ALL THE time, have a Stainless Sub (F), and a New Z Daytona that I have yet to wear!

Oh yea, I wear a nice watch to work every day... lots of stories behind all of them....

clk199z
Which Daytona ?
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 04:50 PM   #14
erasuretim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
HI!

I work for a charity that works with people with a mental health diagnosis. Primarily Schizophrenia or Depression we work with our service users towards a better quality of life for them.

I always wear a nice watch to work, mostly a Rolex. All my work colleagues and clients know I am into watches and gently rib me about it from time to time. I have never had a negative reaction to one of my Rolex from anyone.

Regards

Tim
erasuretim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 04:56 PM   #15
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
I pick up cans in the street for extra cash.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 05:01 PM   #16
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I work for a charity that works with people with a mental health diagnosis. Primarily Schizophrenia or Depression we work with our service users towards a better quality of life for them.

Ever counsel people with OCD? If so there are many of us here on this forum who could use your help! (Many of us have OCD when it comes to all things Rolex or Watch related!)
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 05:08 PM   #17
erasuretim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

Ever counsel people with OCD? If so there are many of us here on this forum who could use your help! (Many of us have OCD when it comes to all things Rolex or Watch related!)

Yes, but we work toward some degree of recovery - personally I'm quite happy to be WIS and OCD about watches - I've no intention of ever recovering from 'Watchosis'

regards

Tim
erasuretim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 05:12 PM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
I pick up cans in the street for extra cash.
...and I'm a tosser!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 05:49 PM   #19
pegase747
"TRF" Member

Hi there,

I am an Aircraft maintenance engineer, currently working for a big ( biggest ) Hong-Kong based airline, and now based in Dubai, after 3 years in Osaka / Japan.

I handle and maintain on the line ( aircraft comes and goes within 2 hours ) the following kind of babies :

At work I wear this all the time since 2 years :

after selling the one on the left :

regards / Pierre
pegase747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 05:53 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good job, Pierre....and great pics too!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 06:12 PM   #21
mibondin

Watch: GMT Master II
I have contemplated this, I guess it depends how much of a statement you want to make. Personally I feel any SS rolex (without the bling) such as an explorer II, GMT II, sub (both black bezel) would be conservative enough to wear at work without drawing attention. No one has noticed my watch (sad to say) though I have noticed the occaisonal rolex on visiting work people for o/s and I consider it a real buzz being the only one in the room who actually appreciates it....and is a great conversation starter.....
mibondin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 06:15 PM   #22
davinci

Watch: Breit Cross/SS sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron17402 View Post
Hi all,

I'm a Rolex newbie, soon to get my first Rolex, a ceramic SS GMT II.

I was wondering what you all do for a living and if you wear a Rolex, and if so, which one, in your job. I am in outside sales of industrial capital equipment and have been comtemplating the potential reaction, poistive or negative, from my clients to wearing a Rolex.

I'm curious about what your experiences and reactions have been from clients, co-workers, and bosses.

In many of the threads, I read that some of you don't wear your Rolex at work. Why?

Thanks.
I am a Building Surveyor (currently working as a Senior Technical Officer) overseeing maintenance and project works carried out for the MOD at an army barracks in the UK. My company has a seven year contract with all the army/raf/navy bases in the east of england.
I wear mostly my sub date everyday and no one so far has mentioned it. Sometimes I wear my breitling crosswind and that does get a few comments. Dont really care what people say or think......I am a happy bunny :)
davinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 06:55 PM   #23
s1m0n
"TRF" Member

I'm a farmer,

Those are potato plants

Simon
s1m0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 07:04 PM   #24
SWFLA1

I've been in Real Estate for 6 years. I guess that means in this market, I'm currently unemployed

Since the RE market is in the dumpster, I started another business that takes photographs prints them on coffee cups, mouse pads, coozies, coasters...stuff like that. It pays the bills until the RE market picks back up.
SWFLA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 08:00 PM   #25
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
Quote:
Good luck in your job search. I've been there and it's not fun. Keep a picture of your favorite Rolex on your fridge. It will give you motivation.

Many regards!!

Thank you but ROlex pictures make me more and more depressed instead of giving me motivation cause I still can not buy now, and unfortunutely time is passing and life is going on to half of my life unhopefully about future, but thank you.
Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2007, 08:13 PM   #26
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

hey don't feel depserate. You must have courage and strength inside you so that you can cope with problems in life. Like my trainer used to say life is a ring
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2007, 12:55 AM   #27
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
Quote:
Then you're golden wearing your Rolex. Obviously no negative reaction to wearing youjr Rolex. Do you get any comments about the Omega?

How do like the new GMT? I can't wait. This forum has been very helpful in solidifying my choice of a new SS GMT.
No, no negative comments about the Omega. In fact a lot of the guys and gals I work with are pretty passionate about watches and quite a few of us have a variety of different brands.
We can`t wear them when dealing with the public but I don`t have to do that so much so I can wear what I like.
I really like the new SS GMT, I.M.H.O. I think it`s the nicest watch Rolex have produced in a long time. It has a great look and feel and the clasp and bracelet are a step foreward. So is the new hairspring. I think I prefer it to my SS Daytona!!

P.S Best of luck with the job search Obsession, hope it wont be too long before you find what you want.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2007, 01:29 AM   #28
WWOODDYY74

Watch: Explorer II
I am currently Active Duty Navy X 14 years! Only 5 and some change to go! I am a Hospital Corpsman, which in nutshell, I provide healthcare to Marines and Sailors alike. I don't wear a watch to work. I only wear them on off duty time! Yep, the US Navy! Our pride runs deep!
WWOODDYY74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2007, 01:48 AM   #29
Lloyd

Watch: Rolex sub 5513
Ive got a little company doing installation of Satellites, TV aerials and Surround sound, in and around Cape Town South Africa, Normally wear my Seiko to work and my Sub 5513 gilt on the week-end , just took it out of the safe !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00205.jpg (84.8 KB, 1494 views)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2007, 01:56 AM   #30
nodnarb757

Watch: you gonna do?
I am an Operations Manager at a large hotel.
My best friend also works there and always comments on how good the 6564 looks.
nodnarb757 is offline   Reply With Quote