The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 July 2018, 12:19 PM   #1
ref1655
Banned

Watch: 1655/MkI
Men's Health Issue...Any of You Diagnosed With Sarcopenic Obesity?

got a call-back from the md following a recent health check-up last week. though the overall report was ok (in general terms), I've been diagnosed with sarcopenic obesity. in other words, while my bmi is acceptable at 20.1 due to diminishing muscle mass (age factor considerations & minimal exercise), I am essentially 'skinny-fat' which can lead to other problems later down the road like cognitive decline.

years ago while playing on a men's rec league softball team, we had a pitcher who seemed to fall into this category...he was slender in build but with a noticeable 'beer gut' & he lived to about 73.

I've been advised to start working out so I think I'll start doing some free-weights in the garage. when I was younger (25-32), I used to run 3-5 miles every other day for aerobic fitness & to stay in shape for skiing in the winter + rec league softball during the summer months. most of the serious runners I encountered were pretty slim with minimal body fat.

looking in the mirror, I'm still relatively slender but with some noticeable flab around the gut...though I can still get into a pair of 30"/levi 501s.

for the younger TRFers, savor your muscle tone while you still have it.
ref1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 12:25 PM   #2
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
i'm not a guy, but i know levi's 30"

WTF??? the word obese and 30" levi's shouldn't be used in the same forum post.

with such a slender figure, you should be able to build up some muscle quickly, i hope!

Good luck!
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 12:37 PM   #3
mjhvn
"TRF" Member

I ran in Cross Country and did Track and Field in county college. I'm still in college but I stop competing. I was a 32 or 34 waist depending on the brand at my best. I could run a 5 mile cross country race in 36-37 minutes which was mid pack. The best could run it 26-28 mins. I'm trying to run again but just to get into shape. I gain a bit since I stopped.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
mjhvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 12:56 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
My thigh is 32”

(Great knowing all of you)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 02:30 PM   #5
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Not in your boat but if you just do push ups, squats with or without weight, dips, sit ups that will pretty much get you straight and won’t require any weights.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 04:49 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

I'm 6' and 132lbs (60kg, 183cm). Can't put on a single gram, but maybe that is because I run 80-100km a week
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 05:02 PM   #7
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I'm 6' and 132lbs (60kg, 183cm). Can't put on a single gram, but maybe that is because I run 80-100km a week
That's single digit bodyfat.. Isn't it ?

Hey OP, it's always a good time to get moving, some resistance training will go a long way..
Best of luck! You can do it.
Old 9 July 2018, 06:17 PM   #8
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Is somebody chasing you?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 06:48 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Is somebody chasing you?
No, if I run this much I can drink as much beer and eat as much mayonnaise as I want.
Old 9 July 2018, 09:08 PM   #10
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
I think genetics are half our destiny, the rest is up to each of us
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 10:30 PM   #11
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I don’t know if I was ever 132 lbs and I am only 5’9”. Maybe I was in 6th grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 July 2018, 10:55 PM   #12
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1655 View Post
got a call-back from the md following a recent health check-up last week. though the overall report was ok (in general terms), I've been diagnosed with sarcopenic obesity. in other words, while my bmi is acceptable at 20.1 due to diminishing muscle mass (age factor considerations & minimal exercise), I am essentially 'skinny-fat' which can lead to other problems later down the road like cognitive decline.

years ago while playing on a men's rec league softball team, we had a pitcher who seemed to fall into this category...he was slender in build but with a noticeable 'beer gut' & he lived to about 73.

I've been advised to start working out so I think I'll start doing some free-weights in the garage. when I was younger (25-32), I used to run 3-5 miles every other day for aerobic fitness & to stay in shape for skiing in the winter + rec league softball during the summer months. most of the serious runners I encountered were pretty slim with minimal body fat.

looking in the mirror, I'm still relatively slender but with some noticeable flab around the gut...though I can still get into a pair of 30"/levi 501s.

Very correct that BMI should not be used as a indicator of health. Did the doctor mention the main reasons for the diagnosis? Hemoglobin count? Cholesterol? Blood pressure?
Old 9 July 2018, 11:58 PM   #13
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I’ll make a generalisation that is not related to the OP, who has seen a doctor, had the appropriate tests and ought to follow the advice given.

However the term “sarcopenic obesity” (which literally means something like, “low-muscle fatness”) fits in with a trend that runs through the practice of modern medicine which is at best, medicalising the relatively trivial and at worst, medicalising normality.

The phenomenon of reducing muscle mass as we age is normal. People lose muscle strength as they get older, everybody knows this. Couple this with above average body fat (which is basically endemic in the Western world and applies to more people in America than it doesn’t apply to) and suddenly you have a “diagnosis”.

The good thing going for this particular diagnosis is that no doctor can really be chastised for making it, since the prescription is “exercise more and watch what you eat” which is of course a prescription that everyone ought to be taking anyway.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 12:38 AM   #14
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Or also because you're 24. Report back to us in 20 years..
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 12:41 AM   #15
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
I fell out shape in my early 30’s and decided I just wasn’t comfortable in my own skin. I was an athlete in college and “took a break” in my mid 20’s to early 30’s, with an unhealthy lifestyle. When I finally made up my mind to get back in shape, it became a “lifestyle” not a diet. Made healthy food choice and working out a part of my normal day, non-negotiable. Took up running, biking, lifting and competing in triathlons, running events, etc...for a hobby
I’ll be 50 in December, i train 1 body part a day, and do 45-60 minutes of cardio a day. I’m in the same jeans now I was in high school (29”), and my body is in better condition now than most 18-30 year olds. Quit drinking a few years ago and wish I had done it sooner.
Pick some sort of resistance exercise daily for your body parts, 20 min cardio a few times a week, I’d say you see vast improvement in yourself and feel very good.
This works for me but I’m not a Dr so check with them first before starting any exercise routines
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 12:54 AM   #16
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
so true!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 01:06 AM   #17
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Yeah the beer might get me some day
Old 10 July 2018, 02:01 AM   #18
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

The big picture is this: we are living with a 21 century consciousness, a late 20th century mistaken nutritional paradigm and body that evolved for success for 200,000 years that we are trying to cram the other two things into.

Sort that out and we will be and stay healthy.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 02:49 AM   #19
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1655 View Post

Sigh...........did you get your Testosterone levels checked (total, free, conjugated)? DHEA Sulfate? SBHG? IGF-1? E2 (on the sensitive panel)? CBC? cCRP? Cortisol? DHT? IGFBP-3? Complete Lipid Panel? Prolactin? PSA? Thyroid Panel? Vitamin D? JUST TO NAME A FEW.

Just by reading your personal comments highlighted above........is more than enough to understand your current Dx, when I consider the context of "I think I´ll start..........", which tells me that you have not been doing exercise.......

You should have never stopped. Neither should the rest of us that would like to live the semblance of a "healthy" lifestyle.