The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 April 2024, 03:00 PM   #271
Goldilock
"TRF" Member

I suggest that you try the LV, th 126610LV. I personally also find the black sub kind a boring and plain but the green bezel puts it in a different light. It makes a huge visual difference and it will certainly not come across every minute in the wild.
Goldilock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 06:47 PM   #272
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
3 weeks later… not connecting with my Submariner Date - moving on

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I definitely see way more datejusts than subs.

Of course you do, we all do, because Rolex sells more DJs than Submariners. It’s the same reason why we see more Ford F150s on the highway than other pickup trucks. Like the Datejust, the F150 is the top the selling model and has been for almost 5 decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 09:05 PM   #273
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahoess View Post
submariner was better when it was a 40mm
When it was "40mm" it was 40.3, and now that it's "41mm" its 40.6.

That's like saying your living room is too small because you put two coats of paint on the walls.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 09:44 PM   #274
SAP7
"TRF" Member

Yeah but the bezel wasn’t as thick two short planks.
Despite the figures you quote, the reality is the old Sub does wear smaller and is better sized for average wrists.
Quoting numbers ignores the aesthetics and actual appearance of the whole package.
SAP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:03 PM   #275
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Pffft, I saw the Warlocks.
Really?! This is perhaps the most interesting post in this thread. Give us the story!
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:30 PM   #276
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAP7 View Post
Yeah but the bezel wasn’t as thick two short planks.
Despite the figures you quote, the reality is the old Sub does wear smaller and is better sized for average wrists.
Quoting numbers ignores the aesthetics and actual appearance of the whole package.
100% agree when you try one on you’ll immediately notice the difference. The old sub is better IMO.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 11:00 PM   #277
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
I've had the sub for six weeks and I absolutely love it. It's my far by favorite watch and I didn't have to squint or justify my love for it. I actually never had any interest in Rolex until my Wife convinced me to check out the Rolex store on Michigan avenue after visiting Omega.

The minute it was on my wrist, I said I gotta have it. I don't think I've really felt that way about any watch period - "I GOTTA HAVE IT."

But for you it didn't click, so you should let it go. I feel like if I end up getting a GMT I'm going to make a similar post to you. My recommendation is if you want something more unique, I would go for a GMT, I rarely see them in the wild.

Side note - I was at a conference last Summer and I was getting some serious Sub envy - it's midnight and I'm with a group of clients having a drink and in this circle every single person had a submariner on, it was pretty funny.
I have never been in a room like that. What type of conference was it?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 11:04 PM   #278
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Honestly, all or most of modern pieces are meh at the end of the day. They lack character and personality
What non-modern pieces do you find have the character and personality you are looking for?
Old 20 April 2024, 11:07 PM   #279
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilock View Post
i suggest that you try the lv, th 126610lv. I personally also find the black sub kind a boring and plain but the green bezel puts it in a different light. It makes a huge visual difference and it will certainly not come across every minute in the wild.
+1

The green on the bezel is very cool, but not for everyone. When I brought mine home from the AD and showed my wife the watch, she said, “it’s green”. Showed it to a friend at dinner and she said “it’s green”. The point is it is not for everyone but neither is every watch. Sounds like you like the Sub model, go to an AD and try on the LV and see if that sings to you and puts a smile on your face. Perhaps, a black dial is to be avoided at this time. Good luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 11:14 PM   #280
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I think the SubDate is a super neat Rolex watch. If you do not like it, you don't.
The idea that other people may wear them nevers enters my mind in my enjoyment of the model. Who cares what other folks wear.
This. I tried on various brands of dive watches more than a decade ago. The Sub fit perfectly in a way that the Seamaster and Breitling and Tag did not. When I see other people wearing one, I think that's great that they love the Sub, too. It never crosses my mind to get a different watch because other people have the same watch.

I did put a Swiss-made rubber strap on for summer which is kind of fun!
Old 20 April 2024, 11:47 PM   #281
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I have never been in a room like that. What type of conference was it?
PEO ( professional employer organization) conferences along with Medicare / senior conferences.

But I would say everytime I go to Vegas for a conference I see tons of Rolexes. This past month was maybe an exception because there was a large Google conference at the same time.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 12:02 AM   #282
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
About 3 weeks ago I got the call for a 126610LN. I was happy at the time, but over the course of several weeks, just really didn’t connect with it.

It’s a very basic monotone looking watch. Though I do get the appeal of it being a great daily. That said, I was at a conference last week, every Joe Schmoe had one. I don’t care about exclusivity but the fact that it’s so ubiquitous isn’t cool for me.

I’m thinking about moving on (maybe to add a 126711CHNR or a neovintage AP, or hold out for a SS GMT / SkyD blue or green).

Kind of venting here, but interested to hear what other people think or if they have ever had a similar experience.

Some pics for your time.

Get a yacht-master.

thegrandseirolexguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 01:13 AM   #283
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
It normally takes me much longer than three weeks to figure out if I connect with a watch - but if you know, you know. Good luck!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 02:50 AM   #284
phillyEagles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two tone Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post
Get yourself a YG one!

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Or a two tone reference. An oldie but a goodie IMO.

phillyEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 07:10 AM   #285
Rollei35
"TRF" Member

Get explorer or OP blue dial, even more boring, and people still love it
Old 21 April 2024, 07:18 AM   #286
zengineer
"TRF" Member

It's been over 2 months since he lost interest after 3 months. We mat all have to move on with our lives.
Old 21 April 2024, 01:04 PM   #287
rolex818
"TRF" Member

My experience with the sub was the opposite: I didn’t think I would like it but fell in love as soon as I put it on at the AD.

By far the watch I wear the most out of a trio including BLRO and z-blue

rolex818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 04:17 PM   #288
Boston1
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4600E/000R-B441
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandseirolexguy View Post
Get a yacht-master.

+1

Or at least try one on. I was never fond of the Submariner for the same reasons the OP describes. I got the YM 40 with a blue dial and I am very satisfied. Rare to see one in the wild.
Old 21 April 2024, 04:45 PM   #289
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
This thread is from February, but the sentiment is not timeless. I figure if you need a watch to make yourself feel unique, you need to work more on yourself, not on the type of watch you have. Shrugs.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 09:12 PM   #290
sherrill
"TRF" Member

I had the same feeling when I got the 126610 LN after a couple of weeks it bothered me. The increased diameter size of the bezel and dial added with the glossy bezel was too much for me that I traded it in for the 126610 LV. Problem solved! I think the issue people have with the glossy black bezel would be solved if Rolex would just put a matte finish on it.
sherrill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 10:21 PM   #291
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrill View Post
I had the same feeling when I got the 126610 LN after a couple of weeks it bothered me. The increased diameter size of the bezel and dial added with the glossy bezel was too much for me that I traded it in for the 126610 LV. Problem solved! I think the issue people have with the glossy black bezel would be solved if Rolex would just put a matte finish on it.
I mean, SOME people may have an issue with it but for the most part, very few do.

There’s a reason it’s one, if not THE best seller in the catalog.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 11:28 PM   #292
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP, the great thing about this hobby is that if you do not like the watch, you can sell it, and move onto to something you like.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:15 AM   #293
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
I think the issue people have with the glossy black bezel would be solved if Rolex would just put a matte finish on it.

They’re not going to make that change just to please a small minority of people.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:24 AM   #294
sherrill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
I mean, SOME people may have an issue with it but for the most part, very few do.

There’s a reason it’s one, if not THE best seller in the catalog.
There are quite a lot of them for sale on the grey market, so clearly people did have some kind of issues with them. There are plenty of other color and model options for everyone. I know Rolex isn’t going change anything for anyone but themselves. It’s their world, and we live in it.
sherrill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:30 AM   #295
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are quite a lot of them for sale on the grey market, so clearly people did have some kind of issues with them. There are plenty of other color and model options for everyone. I know Rolex isn’t going change anything for anyone but themselves. It’s their world, and we live in it.
Think about it.
Not hard to imagine why there are so many for sale.
Bizarro world
Have a GREAT day.
I’m out. Lol
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:59 AM   #296
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Ouch, all this black Sub hate. I'm not sure what circles people run in where you see them everywhere. I think it’s a classic totally in harmony with it’s tool watch heritage. But if it doesn't turn your crank there are other brighter color options. Cheers.
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 02:58 AM   #297
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
This thread is from February, but the sentiment is not timeless. I figure if you need a watch to make yourself feel unique, you need to work more on yourself, not on the type of watch you have. Shrugs.
I don’t want to feel unique man… I walk around in a datejust.

Up your reading comprehension skills.
Old 22 April 2024, 03:09 AM   #298
Phil8352
"TRF" Member

If we all stop posting, this thread will hopefully die.
Phil8352 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:45 PM   #299
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
Ouch, all this black Sub hate. I'm not sure what circles people run in where you see them everywhere. I think it’s a classic totally in harmony with it’s tool watch heritage. But if it doesn't turn your crank there are other brighter color options. Cheers.
A coworker said his son came home from school one day and said all of his friends lived in bigger houses. He told his son he needed to find a lower class of friends.
Old 22 April 2024, 01:41 PM   #300
trailblazer68
"TRF" Member

I guess thats the reason i prefer SD and exp (aka exp1) than sub and gmt, its not uncommon to notice sub and gmt within the same day..its a lousy feeling imo to pick something from the dresser thinking its special and next moment u see someone else wearing the exact ones.

I cant deny Sub and GMT are well-made watches but imo i prefer the more flavorful 5 digit ones simply due to the slimmer and lesser than bold 24hr bezel.
trailblazer68 is offline   Reply With Quote