The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 8 February 2024, 08:30 AM   #1
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I'll let you when I can get a SS Daytona at AD, with discount, and they actually treats me like I am the boss ...
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 09:31 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
I'll let you when I can get a SS Daytona at AD, with discount, and they actually treats me like I am the boss ...
Don't forget the new Ferrari, am sure for you they'll set one aside immediately, and at a discount of course. Don't they know who you are?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 11:15 AM   #3
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Like others have said. I’ve seen a few of the trusted sellers on moda buying and selling. Not sure what the big deal is.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 12:47 AM   #4
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Judging by this sites For Sale forum, the prices are still ridiculously high.

P1sses me off a little when sellers on here want to price their watches at significantly over what the lower equivalent is on ebay or Chrono24. Especially given that most will be avoiding tax on the sale.
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 02:45 PM   #5
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Lot’s of people smarter than me on this thread. However, I firmly believe that we have not seen the bottom yet.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 11:38 PM   #6
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
You guys are confusing a fashion trend with an economic trend. Fashion, Hype and FOMO have driven the price of Rolex up, with the flippers flooding in to make an easy buck. Rolex does not produce investment securities, they produce fashion baubles.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 11:45 PM   #7
avidflyer
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
You guys are confusing a fashion trend with an economic trend. Fashion, Hype and FOMO have driven the price of Rolex up, with the flippers flooding in to make an easy buck. Rolex does not produce investment securities, they produce fashion baubles.
And at least a million a year….soon to maybe two million….
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 01:41 AM   #8
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
What is the expectation here? Rolex 20% below retail through greys and AD stuffed with watches to buy at will?
Ah those were the good old days. Not that long ago mind you... And I wouldn't be surprised if we go back to that although I do think will take a number of years.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 02:01 AM   #9
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

The watch market will stop going lower when the Chinese economic markets start to recover.
The 2 biggest influences on the market where China and bitcoin.
Bitcoin isn't doing bad, so that leaves China.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 02:07 AM   #10
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
The watch market will stop going lower when the Chinese economic markets start to recover.
I disagree, it's the monetary growth that drove the frenzy. Cash is scarce and the layoffs going around the world, either the production will drop to keep the prices stable, or the prices will continue to go down to increase the demand.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 02:44 AM   #11
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I think it’s a fools errand to predict the future price of any security, product etc. I have heard from three resellers of high end watches that their business has sharply picked up recently. Is that a trend? Who knows?
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 03:23 AM   #12
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I think it’s a fools errand to predict the future price of any security, product etc. I have heard from three resellers of high end watches that their business has sharply picked up recently. Is that a trend? Who knows?
That’s smoke and mirrors. Look at any of the dealer chats or B2B networks. Prices haven’t picked up.
Old 10 February 2024, 12:31 PM   #13
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
That’s smoke and mirrors. Look at any of the dealer chats or B2B networks. Prices haven’t picked up.
I did not say prices had picked up- rather that it appears more business is being transacted.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 02:17 AM   #14
PhilAviate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
China is facing demographic collapse.
That is mathematical fact.
Unless they can magic a bunch of 35 year olds into existence in the next 5 years they are facing a total meltdown of their economy.
PhilAviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 04:40 AM   #15
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Prices still seem pretty steady with grey dealers. I just reviewed pricing for the BLNR and still see pricing around $16-18K.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 05:21 AM   #16
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Prices will probably move up slightly ~US tax refund time then drop quite a bit.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 05:33 PM   #17
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Increase in demand + static supply means higher prices (2016-2022). As demand starts to taper some due to flipper slowing/less Covid money and when/if Rolex increases production/supply we will most likely see prices adjust down accordingly for preowned and possible discounts for certain models like DJ.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 08:11 PM   #18
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
When it wants to.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 08:28 PM   #19
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Six pages of what use to be deleted. Missing the old days.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 12:22 AM   #20
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
After market values have become so important to lots of Rolex buyers. If the used prices would fall below MSRP on most models, a lot of new buyers at ADs in my view, would drop out. There needs to be a cost of ownership to restore sanity to the market.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 02:33 PM   #21
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
After market values have become so important to lots of Rolex buyers. If the used prices would fall below MSRP on most models, a lot of new buyers at ADs in my view, would drop out. There needs to be a cost of ownership to restore sanity to the market.
most Rolex models are at or below retail on the secondary market, especially the precious metal models. The only ones commanding any premium are the daytona, GMT (pepsi, sprite, batman), sub (barely 10%), skydweller (green or blue dial).

Sea Dwellers, gold subs, gold day dates, yacht masters, deep sea, explorers, gold sky dwellers are all below retail.
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 01:37 AM   #22
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post

I for one appreciate the mods moving such discussions to the watch out forum rather than deleting it.

It's part of the watch discussions and discourse. If you don't like it done read it / comment on it. AND it doesn't clog up the main Rolex forum

Win win in my book
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 02:46 AM   #23
Mercutio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
And yet it would have been so easy to avoid this self-inflicted infringement upon your time.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 04:38 AM   #24
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Until grey and secondhand dealers decide to let pieces go for less than they paid for them, you will continue to see higher prices.
A lot of the prices are inflated because watch dealers trade amongst themselves, stating that the watch is sold for X dollars (inflated price) when in fact it was only sold to another dealer in order to move inventory. Most likely that dealer will pass the watch to another dealer, showing that it too was sold at an inflated price. Unless we know that any of these watches were sold to end users, this game will continue.
Old 11 February 2024, 04:57 AM   #25
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Modern 6 digit watches are selling and moving still, that includes from secondary sellers to end consumer not just B2B. I’m hunting for a couple references and watching the market and they are selling and moving, maybe not as fast as a year ago but they’re a moving for sure.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 08:12 AM   #26
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

I think the watch market is bottoming. Various prices are down 40-60% from the highs and just above pre covid prices. If you draw a trend line over the last 6-7 years, prices are probably where they should be in a still popular market.

Can prices go down another 10-20%? Maybe, but you will most likely never be lucky enough to buy at the absolute bottom. Buying near the bottom is pretty good in my book.

If you see something you like that was 40k before covid, 100k at the top and 50k now... it's time to buy. Could it go to 40-45k, again who knows, but it's a heck of a buy at 50.

Same goes for a watch that was 10k, went to 18k, now you can buy for 13. Time to buy if you love the watch.
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:26 AM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
I think the watch market is bottoming. Various prices are down 40-60% from the highs and just above pre covid prices. If you draw a trend line over the last 6-7 years, prices are probably where they should be in a still popular market.

Can prices go down another 10-20%? Maybe, but you will most likely never be lucky enough to buy at the absolute bottom. Buying near the bottom is pretty good in my book.

If you see something you like that was 40k before covid, 100k at the top and 50k now... it's time to buy. Could it go to 40-45k, again who knows, but it's a heck of a buy at 50.

Same goes for a watch that was 10k, went to 18k, now you can buy for 13. Time to buy if you love the watch.

I’ve done just that with multiple pieces but I have no illusions that it’s a sure thing. If the bottom were to fall out of the stock market or economy at large we could go much much lower. I don’t care. There’s a lot out there at prices I can stomach.
Old 11 February 2024, 01:46 PM   #28
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post

It’s always time to buy if you really love the watch. But I agree with your post.
Rolex1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 09:05 AM   #29
trojanrolex
"TRF" Member

Want to know what the true value of your watch is? Try to sell it to multiple dealers and see what they'll pay.

Don't bother at looking at "asking" prices.
Old 13 February 2024, 08:55 PM   #30
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanrolex View Post
Want to know what the true value of your watch is? Try to sell it to multiple dealers and see what they'll pay.

Don't bother at looking at "asking" prices.
The true value of my watch (to me) is the pleasure of owning, and wearing, such a finely engineered (mass produced, albeit) piece of machinery in this age of iPhones, Apple Watches, etc, etc. My daily wear is a 116710BLNR that I routinely bang against pistons, handlebars and frames and daily submerge multiple times in a tank of mineral spirits to degrease engine parts. The fact that it just keeps going and going makes me happy. When I want to get "fancy" I give it a good washing in dish soap and head out on the town.
digitalcrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote