The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 May 2024, 11:34 PM   #1
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
Icon6 Part Ex with their AD for new watch

As the title says.
Part 1. - Has anyone took their watch as part ex with their AD to get a new one, considering now they are doing ROLEX CPO too ?
Part 2. - The watch to part ex was bought grey market, does that affect relationship with AD having got it grey instead of through them.

Will AD offer good rate, or better to sell to another grey dealer to gain better price.
Bazil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 11:39 PM   #2
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
What is "part ex?"
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 11:41 PM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Absolutely no clue here, also.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 11:43 PM   #4
KevNev
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
What is "part ex?"
Partial Exchange. Trading in your old watch towards the purchase of a new one and paying money for the difference.
KevNev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 12:26 AM   #5
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I'm ready to hear stories about ADs asking customers to trade in their watch to get the other hot model that they want. This allows the AD to make a tidy profit and get a steady and reliable stream of CPO models.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 12:30 AM   #6
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Absolutely no clue here, also.
It's a common phrase used here in the UK.

If you were to take your old car to the dealership and the dealer buys it from you, to reduce the cost to change to the new car, that is known as a 'part ex', or part exchange deal.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 12:32 AM   #7
DoubleDeac
"TRF" Member

I would think of this the same way a car dealership works. You can trade your old car in, but they won’t give you what you can get if you sold it private sale.

If what you’re exchanging into the AD is a piece they know they can make a profit on, then I don’t think it would affect relationship in a negative way
DoubleDeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 02:24 AM   #8
prnceofpersia23
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
What is "part ex?"
UK's term for a trade.
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 02:33 AM   #9
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

They are not going to care less about any "relationship" , they are just going to either think : " Easy win win here, thanks very much , have this nice fair price for your part-ex" , or " Tricky to shift a profit on that piece so here is a terrible offer ".
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 03:08 AM   #10
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Price it out with gray dealers and then go to the AD knowing what you can get from a gray dealer.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 03:59 AM   #11
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

How much are Rolex AD's buying used watches for as part of their CPO program?
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 05:12 AM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
If you were to take your old car to the dealership and the dealer buys it from you, to reduce the cost to change to the new car, that is known as a 'part ex', or part exchange deal.
.... or "chop in".

It would be interesting to have a ballpark feel for what a CPO stocking AD would offer. To date WF have always made me the best offers.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 05:25 AM   #13
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
They don't give you a fair price for a trade in.
Old 17 May 2024, 05:30 AM   #14
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
Does also depend on what piece you’re getting…example if they’re offering you a 126500 white dial at retail contingent upon you trading a BLRO for say $10k…that deal still makes sense vs. higher trade in higher price going grey. It all boils down to the cash difference, and also if they’re only letting you buy the new piece because you’re trading. In other words if you “got the call” already and are now deciding to trade a piece towards the purchase probably not the best deal at an AD.
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 06:18 AM   #15
Brehski
"TRF" Member

In 2022, I traded in my kermit and paid a bit of difference for the BLNR on oyster.
Brehski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 06:20 AM   #16
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
Define “fair.” Is “fair” what you wish you could get for it? Is “fair” what you could sell it directly to someone else for? Is “fair” what a grey would pay you for it? How could an AD with brick and mortar overhead plus Rolex CPO overhead and the need to make some profit on it pay you market value for your watch? It’s like being shocked, shocked that a car dealer pays you less when you trade in your vehicle than you could get if you sold it to a private party.

So what is “fair”?
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 06:45 AM   #17
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Ohh, you mean "trade in" your watch on a new model, gotcha!
Old 17 May 2024, 07:16 AM   #18
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post
Ohh, you mean "trade in" your watch on a new model, gotcha!
Yes exactly that.
The part ex phrase is obviously one not used everywhere
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 07:40 AM   #19
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevNev View Post
Partial Exchange. Trading in your old watch towards the purchase of a new one and paying money for the difference.

Part ex. 6 letters. Trade 5 letters. What the loo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 09:24 AM   #20
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

You lose so much value when you trade in. And at least in my brief inquiry experience it takes weeks to "authenticate" your watch before they will accept it as a trade in. And by then their offer could change significantly depending on what they find wrong with your watch.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 09:30 AM   #21
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
I think I knew deep down using another grey dealer or sell privately is my best option .. I have a fantastic relationship with my SA/AD, I honestly can’t praise her enough but at the end of the day for both of us business is business and both of us want the best deal …
Cheers for your thoughts …
Bazil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 09:35 AM   #22
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
It's a common phrase used here in the UK.

Thanks for the explanation. I knew what the OP was getting at, but have never heard it expressed that way. My ADs don’t participate in the CPO program.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 09:39 AM   #23
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

I part ex'd my 5 digit sub againt a rose gold olive DD last year because I was tired of the sub and never wore it. Got a fair market price. I think the AD clipped the ticket for about $1-2k max.

I miss that sub dammit.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 10:04 AM   #24
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Does also depend on what piece you’re getting…example if they’re offering you a 126500 white dial at retail contingent upon you trading a BLRO for say $10k…that deal still makes sense vs. higher trade in higher price going grey. It all boils down to the cash difference, and also if they’re only letting you buy the new piece because you’re trading. In other words if you “got the call” already and are now deciding to trade a piece towards the purchase probably not the best deal at an AD.
Someone should pinch you so you can wake up. It's a dream if they offer you a new 126500 for retail against a BLRO for $10k trade.

My AD does this all the time, but it's more like my 126610 plus $20k for a bnib black 116500 and there's no allowance in terms of $ for the Sub, it just gets you the Daytona. This was back in December of 2022. At the time it would net them around $35k out of the bnib Daytona. Retail plays no part in the equation at this AD, they base everything on market value. They offered me a white 126500 with trading the black 116500 last December. I didn't even ask what the difference would be on that deal. Told him I wasn't interested.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 10:24 AM   #25
Easy E

All I know is that I learned a new term today.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 02:14 PM   #26
Carguy87

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Someone should pinch you so you can wake up. It's a dream if they offer you a new 126500 for retail against a BLRO for $10k trade.

My AD does this all the time, but it's more like my 126610 plus $20k for a bnib black 116500 and there's no allowance in terms of $ for the Sub, it just gets you the Daytona. This was back in December of 2022. At the time it would net them around $35k out of the bnib Daytona. Retail plays no part in the equation at this AD, they base everything on market value. They offered me a white 126500 with trading the black 116500 last December. I didn't even ask what the difference would be on that deal. Told him I wasn't interested.
Well while I’m busy dreaming maybe someone can explain to you the difference between offering an example to make a point and suggesting that a certain trade would be possible or offered.

Mike made the point that he feels AD’s do not give one a “fair” trade value. To counter that point I merely structured a theoretical example wherein receiving $10k for a BLRO as trade in value could still be a good deal. I finished my example by pointing out that it’s all about the cash difference between the two pieces. Whether that offer from an AD on whatever pieces are involved is equal to or better than the current secondary market would be what makes it a “good” or “bad” deal.

Not sure what outing your AD (Liljenquist & Beckstead in Bethesda based on your many posts about them) as a shady operator has to do with how business is generally done at other, more above-board AD’s around the country. In the United States at least, dealers caught charging over MSRP for pieces or selling them out the back door for a profit split are grounds for a store to lose their franchise.

Maybe you’re just frustrated they got you ($25,000 cash and a 126610 for an AD purchase…ouch) on your Daytona and then you decided to sell your collection and obviously didn’t get all that back so this is your way of passive-aggressively taking a shot at them?

I guess if you don’t plan on getting another piece from them (or if they lose their status in the meantime anyways) then who cares right?

Funny you said “They offered me a white 126500 with trading the black 116500 last December. I didn't even ask what the difference would be on that deal. Told him I wasn't interested.”

When just a couple weeks ago you said “My AD came through for me for both versions. They charged me $20k (cash) plus a year old 126610LN for a new black dial, then I traded the black dial in (sized, but not worn) plus $5k additional a few months later for the white dial version. Both 11 series a couple years ago.”

Which means you wouldn’t even have the black dial anymore to trade. Maybe you were posting in your sleep and don’t remember?

Either way, back off to dreamland I go…
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 07:42 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post

About all I’ll say is that trading in may not net the most money, but it’s hassle free
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 07:45 PM   #28
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
How quickly can you forget it.

I thought the best part was.

‘Has anyone took their watch’.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 07:47 PM   #29
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Well while I’m busy dreaming maybe someone can explain to you the difference between offering an example to make a point and suggesting that a certain trade would be possible or offered.

Mike made the point that he feels AD’s do not give one a “fair” trade value. To counter that point I merely structured a theoretical example wherein receiving $10k for a BLRO as trade in value could still be a good deal. I finished my example by pointing out that it’s all about the cash difference between the two pieces. Whether that offer from an AD on whatever pieces are involved is equal to or better than the current secondary market would be what makes it a “good” or “bad” deal.

Not sure what outing your AD (Liljenquist & Beckstead in Bethesda based on your many posts about them) as a shady operator has to do with how business is generally done at other, more above-board AD’s around the country. In the United States at least, dealers caught charging over MSRP for pieces or selling them out the back door for a profit split are grounds for a store to lose their franchise.

Maybe you’re just frustrated they got you ($25,000 cash and a 126610 for an AD purchase…ouch) on your Daytona and then you decided to sell your collection and obviously didn’t get all that back so this is your way of passive-aggressively taking a shot at them?

I guess if you don’t plan on getting another piece from them (or if they lose their status in the meantime anyways) then who cares right?

Funny you said “They offered me a white 126500 with trading the black 116500 last December. I didn't even ask what the difference would be on that deal. Told him I wasn't interested.”

When just a couple weeks ago you said “My AD came through for me for both versions. They charged me $20k (cash) plus a year old 126610LN for a new black dial, then I traded the black dial in (sized, but not worn) plus $5k additional a few months later for the white dial version. Both 11 series a couple years ago.”

Which means you wouldn’t even have the black dial anymore to trade. Maybe you were posting in your sleep and don’t remember?

Either way, back off to dreamland I go…
Cliff notes?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 07:51 PM   #30
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

It's funny how British English and American English differ sometimes. Also made me think, Brits tend to use both more times than vice versa. Example here for instance , we would use Part-Ex and trade / trade-in .... One great difference with a little known history is the British term "Mobile Phone" rather than "Cell Phone". When first launched in the UK , they were known as "Cell phones" until the competition laws were referenced and it was decided that "Cellnet" at the time were getting "incidental advertising" so for all official UK documented output, the term "Mobile Phone" was transplanted and used ever since ... now back to watches : The best place to sell a Rolex watch is surely on a trusted watch forum !?

Last edited by JonnyOld Boy; 17 May 2024 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: typo
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote