The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 28 April 2009, 08:26 AM   #31
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
The value as is TODAY...???
$2,600 would be generous in todays market.
But do not write what I say in granite...just my opinion
from going to 8 different Rolex vintage watch shows per year
noting prices and buyers mood..
The mega buyers with shops and web sites among us will not even offer 1700\
Now that's here in the USA...LOTS OF THEM AROUND
In the UK I doubt theat they will offer more than 2000 pounds.
Old 28 April 2009, 08:30 AM   #32
abr68
Banned

Watch: view my signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempoKing View Post
The value as is TODAY...???
$2,600 would be generous in todays market.
But do not write what I say in granite...just my opinion
from going to 8 different Rolex vintage watch shows per year
noting prices and buyers mood..
The mega buyers with shops and web sites among us will not even offer 1700\
Now that's here in the USA...LOTS OF THEM AROUND
In the UK I doubt theat they will offer more than 2000 pounds.

Old 28 April 2009, 08:36 AM   #33
Doublered55

Apparently it was serviced it about 12 years ago, but we cant find any receipt or papers or any idea where it was done. My Uncle said that the strap has been the same since he had it in 1970's, and it wasnt ever changed from any other or a rivited one, so that one has puzzled me?

The actual watch does look like its had some polishing in the past done mind!

What does the three dots mean on the crown?

Surely it would be a bad idea to have a new strap put on.....can i ask Rolex to just leave the strap alone? I would rather someone fix it.
Old 28 April 2009, 08:36 AM   #34
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublered55 View Post
Thanks guys......but what does AD mean? and what is a tropic and an RSC? Cheers

Ok, im thinking I will just have the strap tightened up, all polished inc glass, and leave it all the hell alone! lol
AD--Aurthorized Dealer
RSC--Rolex Service Center
Tropic--crystal without the date bubble.
Old 28 April 2009, 08:50 AM   #35
abr68
Banned

Quote:
Apparently it was serviced it about 12 years ago, but we cant find any receipt or papers or any idea where it was done. My Uncle said that the strap has been the same since he had it in 1970's, and it wasnt ever changed from any other or a rivited one, so that one has puzzled me?

The actual watch does look like its had some polishing in the past done mind!

What does the three dots mean on the crown?

Surely it would be a bad idea to have a new strap put on.....can i ask Rolex to just leave the strap alone? I would rather someone fix it.
Hi,
Are you that annoying or shall this be a bad joke
Mike, Scott, me and some others tried to help.
Now you are coming up with the new point that your watch had a service 12 years ago
HERE ARE SOME POINTS:
1. YOUR BRACELET IS NOT FROM 1970 BECAUSE IT IS A HEAVY OYSTER FLIPLOCK (EVEN IF I CANOT SEE THE FLIPLOCK) 93150 BRACELET INSTEAD THE CORRECT 9315 FOLDED ONE!
2. 3 POINTS AS MIKE MENTIONED MEANS A TRIPLOCK CROWN!
3. YOUR WATCH HAD NO!!!! POLISHING BEFORE BECAUSE IT HAS ROUNDED LUGS ETC..... IT SHOULD GET ONE AS SAID MAYBE 10 TIMES NOW!!!
4. IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE BRACELET WITH YOU JUST GO TO AN AD (AUTHORISED DEALER) OR RSC (ROLCE SERVICE CENTER) WITH THE HEAD AND GET IT SERVICED!!!
From my side all is now explained (hopefully).....
Axel
Old 28 April 2009, 09:01 AM   #36
rkot07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, DD, DJ II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
NO, DO NOT DO THIS
You have no idea when this watch was last pressure checked and if it is the original crystal, there may be cracks created by the way this crystal is pressure fitted to the watch case which cause water to get inside the case and ruin the dial and damage the watch. The crown has been replaced during a service, but still the gaskets may have dried out causing another possible entry point for water. As I mentioned earlier, some simple toothpaste or polywatch will polish that crystal up nicely. Leave the case to a watchmaker.
~Scott
Exactly don’t screw around with it until you have a good understanding of its condition. Don’t screw around with it afterwards either.
Rolex's aren’t cheap to fix average overhaul will cost you 500-600 at Rolex dealer, getting your crown replaced probably 100, getting the crystal replaced probably another 100-200, the bezel (I had a watchmaker quote me 400 recently that’s bezel and insert but insert only 80-90 bucks), and the bracelet probably another few hundred then the polishing....
Also if you need any internal parts replaced that’s another couple of bucks depending on the parts.
But believe me its worth every penny and you will have a sense of satisfaction knowing it looked the way it did and you got it fixed up in tip top condition.
Old 28 April 2009, 09:07 AM   #37
Doublered55

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr68 View Post
Hi,
Are you that annoying or shall this be a bad joke
Mike, Scott, me and some others tried to help.
Now you are coming up with the new point that your watch had a service 12 years ago
HERE ARE SOME POINTS:
1. YOUR BRACELET IS NOT FROM 1970 BECAUSE IT IS A HEAVY OYSTER FLIPLOCK (EVEN IF I CANOT SEE THE FLIPLOCK) 93150 BRACELET INSTEAD THE CORRECT 9315 FOLDED ONE!
2. 3 POINTS AS MIKE MENTIONED MEANS A TRIPLOCK CROWN!
3. YOUR WATCH HAD NO!!!! POLISHING BEFORE BECAUSE IT HAS ROUNDED LUGS ETC..... IT SHOULD GET ONE AS SAID MAYBE 10 TIMES NOW!!!
4. IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE BRACELET WITH YOU JUST GO TO AN AD (AUTHORISED DEALER) OR RSC (ROLCE SERVICE CENTER) WITH THE HEAD AND GET IT SERVICED!!!
From my side all is now explained (hopefully).....
Axel
I am sorry, my uncle only just said an hour ago that he remembers it being looked at/serviced about 12 years ago.

The photo below shows the strap that we have on the watch that i was told was the original?

I am sorry that i do not understand, I am new, i have only looked at a few websites over the past few days!
Old 28 April 2009, 09:08 AM   #38
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
If that watch were mine, I would get a full service on it and wear it till the day I died!

That is one lovely Rolex Sub!!!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Old 28 April 2009, 09:23 AM   #39
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
If that watch were mine, I would get a full service on it and wear it till the day I died!

That is one lovely Rolex Sub!!!
x2
Old 28 April 2009, 09:28 AM   #40
Doublered55

Quote:
I am sorry, my uncle only just said an hour ago that he remembers it being looked at/serviced about 12 years ago.

The photo below shows the strap that we have on the watch that i was told was the original?

I am sorry that i do not understand, I am new, i have only looked at a few websites over the past few days!
So this is the wrong bracelet for a 1967+ 5513?
Old 28 April 2009, 09:28 AM   #41
onkyo
Banned

Beautiful watch.....

Unfortunately, as Tempo said 5513's are not extremely valuable pieces.

Forget the resale price, get it service properly in UK, and wear it in the best of health.

Old 28 April 2009, 09:30 AM   #42
abr68
Banned

Quote:

That is a 78360 Oyster bracelet which doesn´t belong to a Submariner.
Again as said xxx times just get it serviced because you got a rare beauty there and now you have sooooo many information I guess
Old 28 April 2009, 09:41 AM   #43
willo

Watch: make it vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijen0311 View Post
Your user-name is Doublered... I think you know more than you're letting on
so cynical, but i agree.
Old 28 April 2009, 10:03 AM   #44
Doublered55

Just because i called myself Doublered55 doesnt mean anything! Everyone knows the double red Sub is fantastic and sought after? :-(
Old 28 April 2009, 04:31 PM   #45
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
The bracelet appears to not be original. The original bracelet for your watch would have been a riveted style.

FcB
Old 29 April 2009, 01:20 AM   #46
Doublered55

bracelet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablojota View Post
The bracelet appears to not be original. The original bracelet for your watch would have been a riveted style.
I have just read the unofficial Rolex Book , that a local watch shop has, and it
says that you could have either the sold OR the rivited bracelet in late 1960s? Im confused?
Old 29 April 2009, 01:39 AM   #47
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
On the inner folds of the bracelet clasp there should be some codes or numbers. Can you tell us what those are. Additionally, take a paper clip or push pin and push the spring bars in and remove the bracelet from the head of the watch. Between the lugs you see some more numbers, please tell us what these are.
Scott

Member No. 922
Old 29 April 2009, 02:43 AM   #48
abr68
Banned

Quote:
I have just read the unofficial Rolex Book , that a local watch shop has, and it
says that you could have either the sold OR the rivited bracelet in late 1960s? Im confused?

Again,
You have a 78360 bracelet actually fitted to your watch.
The matching bracelet for that period would be either a riveted 7206, a folded 7836 or a folded 9315 one.
Agree with Scott on the pics.
That´s what I was asking yesterday anyway
Axel
Old 29 April 2009, 07:07 AM   #49
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Just because i called myself Doublered55 doesnt mean anything! Everyone knows the double red Sub is fantastic and sought after? :-(
Double red.... "aint a Sub"...part of it is...
..and guess who has one for sale...???..: ...

SEA-DWELLER
SUBMARINER

Old 29 April 2009, 07:26 AM   #50
LocoNBroko
Banned

Watch: GMTIIcSUBUBFDSDDS
You were kidding about trading it for a new one right???
Old 29 April 2009, 07:39 AM   #51
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Folded link or riveted bracelet from new, but not solid link.
Solid links were made from the mid 70's onwards and if it were the correct service replacement solid link bracelet it would be a 93150 with fliplock clasp and divers extension link.

As has already been said Rolex UK will service the watch and not make you change the dial and hands.
They may want to change the bezel insert (but they might let you keep the old one if you ask nicely) and they will tell you the bracelet is incorrect I imagine, but I think back in the day you could ask for this bracelet as an option.

The crystal will be replaced as Scott has said acrylic crystals crack and craze and Rolex will not service the watch and guarantee it waterproof without replacing it.
This also counts for the crown and stem tube as well, but as they are not original to the watch anyway that shouldn't concern you.
It will cost you around £300 to get it serviced by Rolex, but that will give you Rolex paperwork and a full years guarantee as if the watch were brand new.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old 29 April 2009, 03:53 PM   #52
Doublered55

Yeah, so its looking expensive to get the watch right! I did not know there was a 'domed' plexiglass and a 'superdomed' also...........does anyone know what this one is?

Old 29 April 2009, 03:59 PM   #53
SLS
"TRF" Member

You have a domed crystal and as Abel has stated a 78360 bracelet...I think your next step should be to visit an RSC.
~Scott

Member No. 922
Old 29 April 2009, 04:17 PM   #54
Doublered55

Yeah, I just dont know whether to just leave the watch as it is, although it has the wrong crown and wrong bracelet, just keep it 'as is' and keep it on my wrist as a 'vintage original look'?

Thanks for your help guys. :-)
Old 29 April 2009, 04:26 PM   #55
SLS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, I just dont know whether to just leave the watch as it is, although it has the wrong crown and wrong bracelet, just keep it 'as is' and keep it on my wrist as a 'vintage original look'?

The bracelet IMHO is as about as close to the vintage style as you are going to get, given the fact that Subs of that era did not have a flip-loc clasp. In addition, the crown was changed during a service, which most collectors will accept given the fact that it is in the best interests of keeping the watch water tight. My best advice is to spend some $$$ and restore the watch to as close as you can get it. Keep the bracelet as is, get a new crystal and service the movement. Leave everything else as is. You have one heck of a watch that has some history behind it, keep it, enjoy it, and take care of it for the next generation of your family.
~Scott

Member No. 922
Old 29 April 2009, 06:41 PM   #56
marke
Banned

Watch: Daytona
i dont know where you live but would be prepared to meet you and introduce you to my service friends at Rolex bexley and guide you along the way.

You can even buy the coffee's

I live about 20 mins from the dartford bridge
Old 29 April 2009, 10:38 PM   #57
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If I may share some final thoughts. You have a very nice example of a reference from the golden era of Rolex tool watches.
To not service the watch will eventually spell it's deathnell as moisture (at least in the form of humidity) will eventually damage the dial,hands, and movement.

That the crystal, crown, tube, etc...has been replaced is nothing that would detract from iy's overall value for most.

In fact, it shows the watch has been well cared for. Rolex replaces these parts at service.

The bracelet is not something to sweat. True it's not the right one for the reference, but that can be fixed if you so choose or a NATO strap can be used (there is history there albiet not for that particular watch).

As stated when new your watch probably came with a riveted bracelet as shown in this photo of an excellent example.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT MY WATCH OR PIC.

It's been documented that the late 60s (lets say 68-69 thought nothing with Rolex is set in stone), that both the 7206 riveted and 9315 folded link styles could be had. (Amazingly my own memory confirms this)

Here is a 9315 that came on my 1680RED along with a latter replacement 93150 that is the current service replacement bracelet.

My 5513 with current service replacement bracelet (93150) as well as crystal crown, and tube.

The decision to keep or trade is of course a personal one. You will get strong opinions on both sides. Only you know whats best for you.

I can only say buy/keep what you like. Understand though..they don't make em like that anymore.
Old 1 May 2009, 07:14 AM   #58
Doublered55

Service? Work to be done?

I would like to know what it will COST to have the watch serviced the case and strap brushed/polished with a new tube and crown at a ROLEX SERVICE CENTRE?

I would like to know if I supply a 'Domed' GENUINE Plexiglass, will Rolex Service Centre fit it? Or can they supply one?

Whats going to be the total cost?

Cheers
Old 1 May 2009, 09:53 AM   #59
Howie
"TRF" Member

Original bracelet would likely have been a 7206 with 80 endlinks, assuming this is a mid to late 1960's 5513.
Old 1 May 2009, 10:39 AM   #60
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
I would like to know what it will COST to have the watch serviced the case and strap brushed/polished with a new tube and crown at a ROLEX SERVICE CENTRE?

I would like to know if I supply a 'Domed' GENUINE Plexiglass, will Rolex Service Centre fit it? Or can they supply one?

Whats going to be the total cost?

Cheers
You need to send it to them so they can give you an estimate.........

In the US, a Service costs about 550USD and includes, usually, new tube and crown, new plexi crystal, and bracelet refurb. Other parts are extra..

But, if they don't look at it, they can't tell you what it will cost.....
Closed Thread