The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31 December 2010, 01:28 PM   #1
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

-- Rolex Explorer I (39mm version) Review --

Hi everyone. I purchased a 39mm Explorer 1 a few days ago and wanted to share a few pictures. Unlike many of you on this forum, I don't know or care much about technical specs so unfortunately I can’t speak to the time differential or mechanics of the watch. I’ve read a few of the comments floating around the net criticizing the explorer 1 (39mm version) because the hour hand is too short (apparently taken from the explorer 1 36mm version), etc.

However, despite the negative comments I’ve seen so far, and despite having paid full retail value (plus tax….painful), I have to say that I am very happy with the watch. I wear a suit most days to work and usually meet with clients or superiors who tend to be rather conservative. As a consequence, I wanted something that looked elegant enough to wear with dress clothes and this watch definitely fits the bill. I’ve received a number of compliments at work this week. I tried on a date submariner and a GMT II at the authorized dealer and I just didn’t feel I could wear any of these to work. I feel like this watch is one that will keep me company on international travel for work and at the same time look great at any cocktail or dinner.

The watch wears very nicely. I owned a 42mm non-rolex watch before and I felt it was rather uncomfortable to wear. As a consequence I didn’t keep it for more than 6 months. The 39mm Explorer is very comfortable (not too bulky), but big enough to feel good about it. It weighs 135 grams including all links. Again, overall I’m very happy with the watch. My fiancé also loves the watch. Yesterday we went back to the store where I bought the watch and she tried on a few DJ models and now she wants one (although before she wanted a Cartier… what have I done!!!)!!

However, I feel like the best situation, would be to own a second sport model watch (something like a submariner, GMT or Daytona) and wear that on casual Friday’s and/or on the weekends. Nevertheless I think it‘s nice to have the Explorer 1 for Mondays-Thursdays. Anyway, I don’t have much else to say at this point, so instead I’m posting a few pictures I took tonight. All comments are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (49.2 KB, 7977 views)
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (35.6 KB, 7867 views)
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (45.4 KB, 7831 views)
File Type: jpg 44.jpg (56.8 KB, 7831 views)
File Type: jpg 55.jpg (88.7 KB, 7843 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (54.8 KB, 7803 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (63.5 KB, 7809 views)
thomaspp is offline   Reply With Quote