The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 August 2011, 04:38 AM   #1
andyol1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Explorer II for a woman!

My wife is looking to change her Lady date for something bigger, and today went into AD and on a whim tried on a White dial Explorer II! Looked good on her, but what do you guys think about an Explorer on a woman? The sales assistant, who funnily is a woman, was wearing a Sub herself and loves it

How will the new 42 mm Explorer coming out affect the values of the current model? Do you think there are deals to be had with the current model? The AD said that being a discontinued model this would increase it's future demand/value - but is this sales talk?

Your opinions would be appreciated as unsure whether the current trend for large dials on woman is just a fad and will go out of fashion soon.

She is undecided between a 31 mm midsize, 36 mm DJ on jubilee bracelet or the Explorer II!
andyol1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 04:42 AM   #2
mjm800
"TRF" Member

As for future value of the Explorer II I doubt there will be an increase at all it's never been a sought after watch and I doubt all of a sudden with the introduction of the 42mm it's going to be a must have watch. 6K is the going price up or down a few hundred depending on condition.

As for a woman wearing one...why not if she can pull it off go for it. My wife wears my Explorer sometimes it looks great on her.
Old 22 August 2011, 04:44 AM   #3
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I think its kinda cool with men's Rolex watches on a woman, but maybe it's a fashion trend that will quickly fade. In the long run I would go with a ladies model for a lady.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 04:44 AM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
If she likes it why shouldn't she get it?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 04:46 AM   #5
mjm800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
I think its kinda cool with men's Rolex watches on a woman, but maybe it's a fashion trend that will quickly fade. In the long run I would go with a ladies model for a lady.
Yeah but look at it this way he buys her an Explorer II and in a year or two the trend is over and she no longer wants to wear it...now andyol1966 has a sweet Explorer II.
Old 22 August 2011, 04:47 AM   #6
paddy_crow

Since you asked, I think small wristed women wearing men's watches look ridiculous. Women with bigger wrists, no problem.

Now I have to ask, why do you care what other people think? If your wife likes it, she's the only person whose opinion matters.
paddy_crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 05:13 AM   #7
CharlieSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710
I'm saving for a GMTIIC for myself and a white dial EXPII for my wife. She tried one on at an AD and it looks great on her. Here in SF the vast majority of stylish women I see are wearing larger watches. They look great.
CharlieSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 05:17 AM   #8
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy_crow View Post
Since you asked, I think small wristed women wearing men's watches look ridiculous. Women with bigger wrists, no problem.

Now I have to ask, why do you care what other people think? If your wife likes it, she's the only person whose opinion matters.
Agreed. I don't mind a large watch on a woman if she has the wrist to wear it. I think big watches look ridiculous as well on small wrists regardless if it is a man or a woman. This is just my personal opinion.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 05:23 AM   #9
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
If she likes it she should go for it. I've never been one to tell someone how to spend their $$$. That said I think men's watches on women look stupid but there have been a few women wearing men's watches lately. Personally I think its a fad and in 6 months she will be saying WTF did I buy a man's watch for? Let's not forget some of the fad's of the 80's and 90's. Then again maybe you will end up with an Explorer. If I were buying something that expensive I would buy the watch that I KNOW will still be classy and stylish in 15 years.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 05:45 AM   #10
Spartan
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL of them
If she can pull it off on a daily basis.. I don't see why not.

I tried giving my wife my old/vintage Air King Date TT and she thought it was too large, had to sell it

And its "only 34mm" and on a Jubilee bracelet, which is usually more comfy than the Oyster bracelet.

What usually bothers most women is the "height" of mens watches

AK 34mm is 42mm H
DJ 36mm is 44mm H
DJ 31mm is 37mm H
EXPII is 47mm H

SOURCE: Bernardwatch.com
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 06:17 AM   #11
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

If she likes it no other opinions count. Period. My2c.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 06:22 AM   #12
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Why not.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 07:08 AM   #13
jyyanks
"TRF" Member

Personally, I think big watches on women are trendy and I'd rather spend $6k on something classic than trendy. But thats just me :)
jyyanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 07:12 AM   #14
poopie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy_crow View Post

couldn't agree more... put a ladies dj on your wrist - that's what i think a man's watch looks like on a woman...
poopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 07:35 AM   #15
Lisa
"TRF" Member

What was it someone once wrote here about women wearing men's watches? A passing fad? Monkey-see, monkey-do?

The trend has been popular since at least 2007, when I bought my first Rolex; a Lady DJ. But I couldn't even read the dial. Farsighted eyes and a tiny watch face just didn't cut it.

I have watches in 40mm, 34mm and 36mm. I wear and enjoy them all.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 07:58 AM   #16
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
White Daytona is also a nice option for ladies
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 08:20 AM   #17
Minos

Watch: The 1 on my wrist.
Great on a woman's wrist!

My wife took over my v-series Black Explorer II and it stands her extremely well.
She wasn't a fan of Rolex watches at all in the beginning, but she started seeing the quality and reliability of these watches.
Also, although she's a pretty blonde, she's not a fashion addict and rather a no-nonsense kind of person.
No high heels, no make-up, rarely jewels and up to then she used to wear my Bell&Ross Space 3 as a daily beater.(Yep, I know...)
So in her case, trend really has nothing to do with it.
She found the watch to be slightly more feminine than my SubC (don't shoot me) and the metal had a brighter sheen to it than my other watches. (She noticed!) Of course, I went on to explain the quality of 904L steel to her!
The size is perfect for her wrist and believe me, her wrists are by no means thick. I've had to remove a series of links for her.
Although she's no show-off at all she asked me if these watches are good investments. To which I could easily respond with enough examples on the Net.
On top of it, it's a v-series, so they'll rise in price slightly quicker. (Confirmed by my AD who bought two for his own: they're an in-between model and were only made two or three years with an old style case, old style bracelet, but with an engraved crystal and rehaut, parachrom spring, SEL, etc...)
Since then, well, to be honest, It's rarely off her wrist and has become her new daily beater.
So there. She's delighted and even more delighted that it's totally off the radar.
Don't hesitate with the Explorer II. It's just depends on what she feels is right.
(Isn't it always? )
Minos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 09:12 AM   #18
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

What usually bothers most women is the "height" of mens watches
That is true, but the dimensions you cited were not "height." Height is vertical. You listed the length (horizontal north-south) of the dial plus lugs.

To topic, I love the EXP II and would seriously consider it, if it were sizable to my wrist. Lisa, I recall you saying you had trouble with bracelet sizing on it, too, hence the NATO. (Or am I misremembering and it's on NATO to share?)
chicfarmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 09:38 AM   #19
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
I don't think you have to concern yourself with whether it's fashionable or not for women to wear a 40mm or bigger watch. Its your wife's decision.

My wife adores her 36mm DJ. Never comes off. 40mm are simply not for her even though I think they look great.

As for future value....wouldn't let that be a deciding factor

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 03:32 AM   #20
rms
"TRF" Member

Watch: The one I have on
I was at the park yesterday and saw 3 different women wearing Subs. Actually I think one of them was an Invicta but you get the point. I think a 40mm Rolex can look really great on a woman's wrist. The funny part is, the only guy I saw wearing a Rolex was wearing a 36mm DJ! Go figure.
Old 23 August 2011, 03:43 AM   #21
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
Well if the shoe fits wear it baby......if it feels good put it on.

Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 05:00 AM   #22
RolexV3
Banned

Watch: Rolex DSSD & DJ
Here is a pic of a woman sporting an EXPY II
RolexV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 05:41 AM   #23
kcmo
"TRF" Member

If she's happy with the look, then she should DEFINITELY go for it!

Personally, I cannot wear anything smaller than a 36mm...just don't like them. I've worn larger watches for many many years now and they're my preference. It's 36mm or 40mm for me, nothing larger. My wrist is close to 6.5".

I bet the Explorer 2 looks great on her....as I imagine a 36mm DJ would too.
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 06:34 AM   #24
SDDS17
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP2-42, DJ2, SMPO
My wife took ownership of my EXP-II almost four years a go. She loves it, and actually sold her diamond ladies DJ, because she did not wear it any longer. She likes the larger watch as it is easier to read... She gets more compliments wearing that watch, than any of mine ever get...she is a lot prettier tho!!!
SDDS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 12:01 PM   #25
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
What was it someone once wrote here about women wearing men's watches? A passing fad? Monkey-see, monkey-do?
That would have been me.

Everything is cyclical and fashion is mimicry.

Remember these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAAADERgx8gAAAAAARF5UQ.jpg (11.4 KB, 391 views)

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 12:46 PM   #26
Andelain
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing your 6......
If she likes it, get it. I'm female and wear larger watches. My next purchase will likely be a 16613 Sub.

Andelain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 02:35 PM   #27
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Looks sharp, IMO. Saw a black dialed Explorer II on a female Cathay Pacific FA on a flight from Hong Kong to SFO, a few years back.
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 10:56 PM   #28
andyol1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS17 View Post
My wife took ownership of my EXP-II almost four years a go. She loves it, and actually sold her diamond ladies DJ, because she did not wear it any longer. She likes the larger watch as it is easier to read... She gets more compliments wearing that watch, than any of mine ever get...she is a lot prettier tho!!!
Looks gorgeous on her wrist
andyol1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 11:12 PM   #29
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Can't see why not!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote