The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 January 2015, 11:58 PM   #1
dstacy
Banned

Watch: A few
Would you look at my plots?

I've seen some others like this but was wondering what you guys thought about the plots on my 3rd quarter of 1960 GMT 1675. Can you see how they are slightly "raised" or "puffy". The guys at ABC in LA said it was one of the nicest ones they'd seen and I should just wear it and quit worrying. Considering this is worth a small fortune is there something you think I should do or am I being concerned about nothing?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg plots.jpg (151.2 KB, 417 views)
dstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 12:01 AM   #2
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
I am no expert but would love to see a picture of the complete dial.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 12:32 AM   #3
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
what are your concerns?
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 01:20 AM   #4
dstacy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
I am no expert but would love to see a picture of the complete dial.
I've posted pictures of it before. Here is another one. It is in pretty good shape. Under magnification you can see a few very small marks or nicks, but it is 54 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuntiger View Post
what are your concerns?
Well the answer is "I don't know. I'm not really sure I should have any.".
I've seen some posts where guys have chunks of their plots falling off and since I'm no expert I thought I'd see what others thought. Like I said the ones who are experts, the guys at ABC, said I should go find other stuff to worry about and wear this one like crazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1381.jpg (93.4 KB, 446 views)
Old 21 January 2015, 01:34 AM   #5
dstacy
Banned

I never can take pictures as good as some of you guys. The above picture makes the plots look more yellow than they are. Actually they are more of a tan or beige color.
Old 21 January 2015, 01:34 AM   #6
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
well then I would heed their advice. I don't see anything to worry about, but the images aren't the best. If they are intact...no need to worry.
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 01:37 AM   #7
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
They're right. Wear it like crazy! The watch is over 50 years old and....including the plots!...looks amazing. My gilt has puffy one, too, and it look fantastic. Not really sure what could be done about it anyway....not that you should.
And I'm not kidding, I would wear that ALL the time.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 01:42 AM   #8
dstacy
Banned

Thanks. I admit it, I can be a bit of a worrywart sometimes.
Old 21 January 2015, 02:54 PM   #9
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
i was trying to compare the the dial to the ones posted in Springers thread and i can not find the one that matches. I have never seen the OPs dial before but would love to hear the experts thoughts.

heres the dial thread http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=316726
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 03:24 PM   #10
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
i was trying to compare the the dial to the ones posted in Springers thread and i can not find the one that matches. I have never seen the OPs dial before but would love to hear the experts thoughts.

heres the dial thread http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=316726
I'm no expert, but the coronet looks like G-3 to me, but the writing underneath the hands isn't spaced the same.

Spacing looks like W3 to me:

Old 21 January 2015, 04:00 PM   #11
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

yea they are similar but i do not think they match. Doesnt have the underline. The color of the font looks different to me as well. Im not a expert but just thought id compare the plots to the dial thread when the OP raised the question and noticed the difference in the Fonts and Coronet.
Old 21 January 2015, 11:20 PM   #12
dstacy
Banned

Don't get too fooled by the color in the above photo. Like I said it looks more yellow in that picture. For the record it is a very early example; serial number 51x,xxx.
Old 22 January 2015, 03:02 AM   #13
The moose
Banned

Just out of curiosity; what makes the dots get puffy and raised? Is it due to a chemical reaction with the chemicals in the lume together with sunlight and ageing or something completely different?

Sorry about my lack of knowledge regarding this matter...
The moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 03:02 AM   #14
The moose
Banned

Just out of curiosity; what makes the dots get puffy and raised? Is it due to a chemical reaction with the chemicals in the lume together with sunlight and ageing or something completely different?

Sorry about my lack of knowledge regarding this matter...
The moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 03:13 AM   #15
mdw3
"TRF" Member

Based on the poor photos posted above, I have my doubts . . . .

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 03:56 AM   #16
nycpassat
"TRF" Member

Very interesting regarding the dial. Could it be another unknown gilt dial variant?
nycpassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 05:10 AM   #17
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw3 View Post
Based on the poor photos posted above, I have my doubts . . . .

Michael
X2. When the gilt dials look "very gold" in photos, it is not a good sign. Additionally, better photos would help

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 05:29 AM   #18
dstacy
Banned

Interesting.
I'm pretty well known in Ferrari circles and a few members from there who are also members here like Alfredo, Wilson, and others know me. It would have been nice if before making some vague innuendo and basically calling me a liar you could have at least checked me out. Oh well people are who they are.
As I said the guys at ABC have checked and serviced this piece in addition to an appraiser for Jewlers Mutual authenticating it. Obviously some people here know more than those experts who are in the business. That's great that we have those resources here.
Thanks to those who posted here about my original question and for putting my mind at ease.
Old 22 January 2015, 08:15 AM   #19
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

The dial does not match any known examples though.
Old 22 January 2015, 08:19 AM   #20
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Can you post better pictures of the dial and hands. I can compare to my examples if you like. A clearer picture would help get you a 100% good answer.based on what I see i don't like the dial and the hour hand is too short for a chapter ring dial. Since your serial number is for an occ dial here is a good link for you http://stefanomazzariol.blogspot.com...0%22OCC%22?m=1

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 10:27 AM   #21
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstacy View Post
Interesting.
I'm pretty well known in Ferrari circles and a few members from there who are also members here like Alfredo, Wilson, and others know me. It would have been nice if before making some vague innuendo and basically calling me a liar you could have at least checked me out. Oh well people are who they are.
As I said the guys at ABC have checked and serviced this piece in addition to an appraiser for Jewlers Mutual authenticating it. Obviously some people here know more than those experts who are in the business. That's great that we have those resources here.
Thanks to those who posted here about my original question and for putting my mind at ease.
I am not exactly sure what the Ferrari circle and "Checking u out" has to do with the watch u posted?

The experts are only speaking on what they see. And they were not rude in any way.
Old 22 January 2015, 12:29 PM   #22
verticalflight
"TRF" Member

Agreed. Important to note that the folks on the forum here have a lot more knowledge collectively than even an appraiser or even a well known shop.
verticalflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 01:08 PM   #23
mdw3
"TRF" Member

OK. I won't make vague innuendo. The dial is fake. And, I know my way around old Ferraris also; feel free to ask around and check me out.

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 01:55 PM   #24
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstacy View Post
Interesting.

Dont b offended. This is a public forum. Non of the experts have any obligation to comment. But from my experience there r many truly knowledgable good folks here who provide free service to us members. Some of them i even consider qualified to b appraisers to the big auction houses. Not to mention i didn't c any offending comments so far, n certainly nobody called u a liar. That said ABC is very well regarded in this section.

Stick around n get to know them n u will save urself a lot of aggravation down the road if u r into vintage. I have saved money n headache from their advise ever since i joined this forum.

As to ur watch I'm not expert enough to comment but i would listen to those who did. Whether u like what they say or not, its up to u to decide.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 02:19 PM   #25
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
Dont b offended. This is a public forum. Non of the experts have any obligation to comment. But from my experience there r many truly knowledgable good folks here who provide free service to us members. Some of them i even consider qualified to b appraisers to the big auction houses. Not to mention i didn't c any offending comments so far, n certainly nobody called u a liar. That said ABC is very well regarded in this section.

Stick around n get to know them n u will save urself a lot of aggravation down the road if u r into vintage. I have saved money n headache from their advise ever since i joined this forum.

As to ur watch I'm not expert enough to comment but i would listen to those who did. Whether u like what they say or not, its up to u to decide.

Cheers

ur, r, n, u. a urself....what is this - tapatapatapa code or something?

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 02:32 PM   #26
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
ur, r, n, u. a urself....what is this - tapatapatapa code or something?
People using cell phones to post will shorten words to type faster. Social media (Twitter) has alot to do with it too lol
Old 22 January 2015, 04:28 PM   #27
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
People using cell phones to post will shorten words to type faster. Social media (Twitter) has alot to do with it too lol

Lol. Txs Kev. Its not easy typing with two tumbs.

omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote