The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 23 November 2015, 03:00 AM   #1
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Novice question for you pen-heads!

I have a colleague who has 3 Mont Blanc Etoile pens he wishes to sell and I want to buy one from him and don't know what to offer....I see they're in the $700 range online. They were all gifts from his clients so he's not out of pocket.

All are new and still in the box so, what's a fair price to offer for one of the pens?

Thanks guys!
Old 23 November 2015, 09:56 AM   #2
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Hi Brett,
Upon checking online the MontBlanc Etoile Pens I have seen run over $1100.00USD. Which type of pen are you looking to buying? My opinion(I'm sure the experts will chime in soon)is you should pay more for a Fountain Pen over a Rollerball or Ballpoint pen. I would think getting a discount of 20-25% off would be appropriate…since I would guess he is a friend as well as a work colleague…..

Also, FYI, if you decide on a Fountain pen you will never be disappointed as the ink appears to flow from the pen without restriction. But if you need to sign multiple copies and contracts on the job you will be better off going with a Rollerball or Ballpoint pen. Again, personal preferences dictates that I would buy a Rollerball pen over a Ballpoint pen. You will hear from many people that the Rollerball cartridges dry up too quickly so go with a Ballpoint pen…but I have never experienced these issues. Also other brands of cartridges will fit in a MontBlanc pen thus solving these types of issues….

Also go to a MontBlanc Boutique and check out the pens before buying from the colleague at work. This way you can check them out and see how they write and perform for you. As everyone has their own opinions…..

Take care…..Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 10:00 AM   #3
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
All depends what medium they are as Leo said. A FP to me is the most desirable. Then the rollerball then a ball point.
But it is all what fits your needs.

Look on Amazon and eBay and pay him the low side of average. He has no expense or aggravation selling to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 10:12 AM   #4
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
This is a silly question: Why would you want to buy one? To save money?

It sounds like you're new to pens. Therefore, I would recommend something else from a cheaper variety that does the job.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 10:45 AM   #5
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
To all concerned, there is nothing wrong in wanting, owning and using high quality products that meet your individual needs. Why buy a product and start using it only to find out that the better quality item(s) were what you really wanted to begin with. As now you will go out and buy what you really wanted(to begin with)and the first item gets put away and forgotten about.

Also one other point to consider...the OP may have been talking with this colleague about considering buying a quality Writing Instrument. And the colleague mentions he has a few pens that were gifts and he is not planning to use them. So he suggests that the OP do some research as to what a fair market price would be to assist him in setting a price for his items!!!

Take care.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 08:38 PM   #6
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
To all concerned, there is nothing wrong in wanting, owning and using high quality products that meet your individual needs. Why buy a product and start using it only to find out that the better quality item(s) were what you really wanted to begin with. As now you will go out and buy what you really wanted(to begin with)and the first item gets put away and forgotten about.

Also one other point to consider...the OP may have been talking with this colleague about considering buying a quality Writing Instrument. And the colleague mentions he has a few pens that were gifts and he is not planning to use them. So he suggests that the OP do some research as to what a fair market price would be to assist him in setting a price for his items!!!

Take care.....Leo
Thanks for the input Leo!
Old 23 November 2015, 08:41 PM   #7
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post

Take care.....Leo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
This is a silly question: Why would you want to buy one? To save money?

It sounds like you're new to pens. Therefore, I would recommend something else from a cheaper variety that does the job.
Thanks vman - I would like to buy one as I quite like the look of it for a daily use pen (most of my pens are fountain), so not that new to pens just this model.
Old 24 November 2015, 08:12 PM   #8
Invictus Maneo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
If I was the one who owned the three pens that retailed for over $1000 a piece, I wasn't using them nor planned to ever use them, paid no money for them, and friend wanted to buy them ( a good friend not just an acquaintance ) I would sell them for 50% of what they go for. If it was a REALLY good friend I would just give it to them, but that's just me.
Invictus Maneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2015, 03:37 PM   #9
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Leo... You hit it on the head!

Great advice and input!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2015, 02:32 PM   #10
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
And..........

This is the first time I have been called a Pen-Head and like it!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 09:11 AM   #11
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Excellent advice, Leo! I started with MB and bounced around for a while until I decided on the ones I liked. Then I found some old fp’s at a thrift shop, here and there, and the fun began all over.