The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 13 January 2017, 02:33 PM   #1
NickyBoy7
"TRF" Member

First Speedy Pro Purchase!!

Hi All!

Had a quick question regarding my first Speedy Pro purchase soon! Unfortunately I was too late to get my hands on the Limited Edition Speedy Pro from Omega, so back to the drawing board.

I need some answers from the people to tell me what exactly they love about the 1861 / 1863 / Hesalite / Sapphire. Has anyone had these 2 in their possession at the same time to compare? Pictures to do it justice?

I also heard that the 1861 was only Speedy Pro certified for EVA? As the 1863 was just approved for flight and not EVA. Is this true? Just wanted to know, since that is a really cool fact about Omega and the watch itself.

I personally like the "First Watch Worn on the Moon" on the back of mine.

Let me all know what you think, this would be a great help going forward!

Thanks Again!

Nick
NickyBoy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Tk421
"TRF" Member

Watch: MoonSub
Hi Nick,

Great choice.

So I don't claim to be an expert but here is my opinion.

I have previously had Moon to Mars, 145.022 Straight Writing and I currently have the First omega in Space.

I loved my vintage piece but became a little OCD about some of its imperfections and I wasn't wearing it much.

I chose the First Omega in Space (FOIS) because I loved the vintage vibe and it's a smaller piece with no crown guards so the size is perfect. It is the best looking piece in my opinion but please note if the "FLIGHT QUALIFIED" matters to you then I wouldn't get it because it's not, it's Sapphire crystal. The FOiS also has an applied logo. The FOIS is less sporty and more formal than the standard moon watch IMO.

The hesalite looks warmer and is closer to the original aesthetic. I think if you have to choose solely based on the crystal you should go hesalite. The FOIS would be perfect if it was hesalite.

The 1861 movement and watches etc are awesome. I would say that I would now only go vintage if I was buying a 321 movement. If I couldn't get a 321 then I think buying brand new is virtually the same thing as any 861 operating watch.

FWIW I have also reserved the #SpeedyTuesday it looks incredible.

I think you can't go wrong with any clean black dialled Speedmaster Professional or variant I.e, FOIS as your first speedy. Once you have one then you can play with the LE's with alternative dials etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tk421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 10:31 PM   #3
NickyBoy7
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for that input! Is the FOiS a 39.7 mm? I feel that you're definitely right when it comes to that Vintage Vibe that it gives!

The "Flight Qualified" was just a really coolness factor to me for some reason, I have no idea why lol. I guess the whole "It can go in space / EVA is truly very interesting.

"The FOIS is less sporty and more formal than the standard moon watch IMO." -- This is something definitely that I will have to do more research on. Especially since I truly want my first Speedy to be exactly what I want / What i want to use it for!

I appreciate the time it took to write your post. Thank you very much for the reply!

Good Luck with the new #SpeedyTuesday!!!

Cheers!

Nick :)
Old 14 January 2017, 12:47 AM   #4
Tk421
"TRF" Member

Watch: MoonSub
First Speedy Pro Purchase!!

Yes the FOIS is 39.7. It wears a lot smaller because there are no crown guards and the lugs are straight / smaller.

Good luck with your choice. As long as you stay true to the spirit of the watch it will never be outdated. I must admit as a rookie I was very interested in the co-axial variations of the speedy etc etc but in the end it's all about the real moon watch IMO. Manual wind and 3 subdials are a must for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tk421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 01:56 AM   #5
NickyBoy7
"TRF" Member

Absolutely! Well said!
Old 14 January 2017, 03:14 AM   #6
Bushido
"TRF" Member

To answer your 1861 vs 1863 question: They are the same movements. The difference is that the 1863 was "prettied" up with a metal chrono brake instead of delrin and they added some Geneva stripes for ornamentation in order to offer a better looking movement view through the sapphire case back. Mechanically, it's the same.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 07:29 AM   #7
NickyBoy7
"TRF" Member

Awesome ! Thanks for the info!