The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 10 January 2017, 07:19 PM   #1
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
AP FC versus Ceramic question

So, I recently posted a thread that I've been bitten by the AP bug....and it's getting worse!

I already had a 15400 blue dial and just received my AP 42mm Elephant from Takuya this week....and now I'm looking at the 26405CE - HELP!

Can those of you who have them provide me with feedback on how the piece wears versus the SS case (e.g. scratching, chips, etc.) as I want an all-arounder that I can wear all the time on weekends/holidays.

I actually thought about the FC, but I prefer the dial on the ceramic and have read the FC doesn't take wear-and-tear as well...or am I mistaken?

Looking forward to your input/feedback/wisdom!
Old 10 January 2017, 07:53 PM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Some FC models seem to hold quite well while others not so well, especially the Grand Prix, not really sure what to think about AP FC to be honest. I love the AP ceramic, have the diver myself, I did have a problem, don't know what happened but my case cracked at a place which is very very protected, basically between the crown guard and the rubber under the bezel, really don't know how that happened as it never received any shock, but the AP Boutique and in Le Brassus were great, in a little less than 2 months I received my watch back with a new case under warranty, they said that it was because of a shock, but again can't see how it's possible, I think it had a defect to start with. In any case it is quite light, less than FC but still very light, and I prefer how ceramic looks over FC, but both are awesome watches.
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 01:21 AM   #3
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Im also a ceramic diver owner as lapince. Not a single scratch on the watch itself, only scratches are on my bracelet buckle. If you are going for optimal scratch resistance then ceramic is the way to go. There are videos/pictures of ceramic Omega and Hublo owners that deliberately tried scratching there pieces with a key and it didn't leave a mark.
Old 11 January 2017, 01:29 AM   #4
texex91
"TRF" Member

I've owned FC and Ceramic 44mm. Both were without issue. I think like any watch there can be an issue here or there, but both are solid choices in my book material wise.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 02:25 AM   #5
jem7v
Banned

I have the 44CE. I was also debating between 44 FC and 44 CE. I went with the CE because the finishing of the ceramic is gorgeous and the grey dial to break up all that black.

Also I was nervous long term about FC since I don't know how long I'm keeping this watch. I read mixed stories on AP's FC long term. The advantage of FC is it is lighter than the ceramic. You really barely feel you are wearing the watch. But the CE has more bling so to speak which is what I was going for, understated bling haha.

Since usually I don't keep my watches for too long, CE was rarer and had better resale than FC which also played into my decision.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 04:09 AM   #6
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
No issues with FC.
Old 11 January 2017, 04:43 AM   #7
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
FC diver still looks brand new after around 4 years as my most worn watch. FC is lighter and less brittle than ceramic but also less scratch resistant. I have 2 FC cases that I've tested and they are more scratch resistant than SS. Ceramic will have a beautiful brushed and polished finish while FC will have a unique marbling finish. AP pioneered FC in watchmaking and their process and quality has improved greatly.

AP had some issues with early watches with FC bezels like the Alinghi and GP but I was told they have improved the process for their FC compound. AP wouldn't still be using it for their high end watches like the ROO chrono tourbillon or Laptimer if the material wasn't up to par.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 05:41 AM   #8
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
FC diver still looks brand new after around 4 years as my most worn watch. FC is lighter and less brittle than ceramic but also less scratch resistant. I have 2 FC cases that I've tested and they are more scratch resistant than SS. Ceramic will have a beautiful brushed and polished finish while FC will have a unique marbling finish. AP pioneered FC in watchmaking and their process and quality has improved greatly.

AP had some issues with early watches with FC bezels like the Alinghi and GP but I was told they have improved the process for their FC compound. AP wouldn't still be using it for their high end watches like the ROO chrono tourbillon or Laptimer if the material wasn't up to par.
Or they assume people who buy the laptimer and other concepts aren't going to wear their watches every day :). There are few people crazy enough (like me), who would actually wear that every single day.

I'd have no problem having a carbon concept or laptimer as my only watch for all occasions.

I've worn my ceramic every day since I got it. I don't understand why people use the whole brittle thing. Why are you going to drop this watch? It should be on your wrist. Also the part most likely to get hit is the bezel, which is ceramic on all of these watches, so I think the brittle argument is honestly a moot point. Unless a person is just super careless in which case the ROO is the wrong watch for that person.
Old 11 January 2017, 06:07 AM   #9
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
Or they assume people who buy the laptimer and other concepts aren't going to wear their watches every day :). There are few people crazy enough (like me), who would actually wear that every single day.

I'd have no problem having a carbon concept or laptimer as my only watch for all occasions.

I've worn my ceramic every day since I got it. I don't understand why people use the whole brittle thing. Why are you going to drop this watch? It should be on your wrist. Also the part most likely to get hit is the bezel, which is ceramic on all of these watches, so I think the brittle argument is honestly a moot point. Unless a person is just super careless in which case the ROO is the wrong watch for that person.
I would wear any AP as a daily including a grande comp. While visiting AP they mentioned one grande comp owner (assume it was Richard Branson) wearing his watch while going through space training for private space flights. The watch was then sent back to AP for "minor adjustment".

Ceramic is a great material for watches and the being brittle shouldn't be an issue unless you drop the watch or bang it hard. That would probably damage the bezel, crystal and possibly the movement as well. People talk about FC "crumbling" but FC is used by many watch companies now as well as golf clubs and car parts like A-arms, links, even saw connecting rods, etc. Its all in the process and quality control to make strong parts.

Forged Carbon and Ceramic are both great materials for watch cases. Just pick the look and style you like more.
Old 11 January 2017, 07:06 AM   #10
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Some FC models seem to hold quite well while others not so well, especially the Grand Prix, not really sure what to think about AP FC to be honest. I love the AP ceramic, have the diver myself, I did have a problem, don't know what happened but my case cracked at a place which is very very protected, basically between the crown guard and the rubber under the bezel, really don't know how that happened as it never received any shock, but the AP Boutique and in Le Brassus were great, in a little less than 2 months I received my watch back with a new case under warranty, they said that it was because of a shock, but again can't see how it's possible, I think it had a defect to start with. In any case it is quite light, less than FC but still very light, and I prefer how ceramic looks over FC, but both are awesome watches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Im also a ceramic diver owner as lapince. Not a single scratch on the watch itself, only scratches are on my bracelet buckle. If you are going for optimal scratch resistance then ceramic is the way to go. There are videos/pictures of ceramic Omega and Hublo owners that deliberately tried scratching there pieces with a key and it didn't leave a mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I've owned FC and Ceramic 44mm. Both were without issue. I think like any watch there can be an issue here or there, but both are solid choices in my book material wise.
Quote:
I have the 44CE. I was also debating between 44 FC and 44 CE. I went with the CE because the finishing of the ceramic is gorgeous and the grey dial to break up all that black.

Also I was nervous long term about FC since I don't know how long I'm keeping this watch. I read mixed stories on AP's FC long term. The advantage of FC is it is lighter than the ceramic. You really barely feel you are wearing the watch. But the CE has more bling so to speak which is what I was going for, understated bling haha.

Since usually I don't keep my watches for too long, CE was rarer and had better resale than FC which also played into my decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
No issues with FC.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I would wear any AP as a daily including a grande comp. While visiting AP they mentioned one grande comp owner (assume it was Richard Branson) wearing his watch while going through space training for private space flights. The watch was then sent back to AP for "minor adjustment".

Ceramic is a great material for watches and the being brittle shouldn't be an issue unless you drop the watch or bang it hard. That would probably damage the bezel, crystal and possibly the movement as well. People talk about FC "crumbling" but FC is used by many watch companies now as well as golf clubs and car parts like A-arms, links, even saw connecting rods, etc. Its all in the process and quality control to make strong parts.

Forged Carbon and Ceramic are both great materials for watch cases. Just pick the look and style you like more.
Thanks for all of the thoughtful feedback gents - I'm going to try and find both when I'm in Dubai in a couple of weeks and compare them side by side...leaning towards the CE at present as I love the Anthracite dial and smooth ceramic surface.....however the uniqueness of FC is also quite appealing.

I'll keep you posted and will post pics once the decision is made.
Old 11 January 2017, 08:15 AM   #11
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:

Quote:

Sometimes I wish this forum have a thank function. Since it doesn't I will just call out your posts and thank thank you. I had a bunch of questions about forged carton and you just happened to answer most of them. Your posts were most helpful and I appreciate it. I have my eyes on a bumblebee and I have the same concerns as the OP.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 07:10 AM   #12
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Well gents, made my decision and I hope to have a BNIB ceramic 44 with anthracite dial in my hands in the next 6 weeks or so - spoke with my AD and they are expecting 2 pieces and one will be set aside for me....3 APs in the last 12 months starting with the 15400, then 42mm Elephant, and now a 44mm....I need to have my head examined!!

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge!
Old 15 January 2017, 07:44 AM   #13
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
Well gents, made my decision and I hope to have a BNIB ceramic 44 with anthracite dial in my hands in the next 6 weeks or so - spoke with my AD and they are expecting 2 pieces and one will be set aside for me....3 APs in the last 12 months starting with the 15400, then 42mm Elephant, and now a 44mm....I need to have my head examined!!

Congrats on another great AP! Wonder what the 44mm ceramic would look like with a grey camo strap?
Old 15 January 2017, 08:01 AM   #14
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Your head is perfectly fine! lol

Huge congrats on the new 44!
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 08:36 AM   #15
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post

Surprised the AD got any this late now that it's discontinued.
Old 15 January 2017, 08:39 AM   #16
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are still quite a few at AP I hear. My AD confirmed as well he could get one in 4-6 weeks no issues.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 08:48 AM   #17
jem7v
Banned

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.A002CA.02/

AHHHHHH new 44m ceramic!!!!!
Old 15 January 2017, 09:43 AM   #18
v8plus4
"TRF" Member

Watch: it's complicated
Now, THAT'S nice...

Good year so far at SIHH.
v8plus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 09:51 AM   #19
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow! AP is off to a great start this year! Always loved the RG on black ceramic on the Legacy but didn't like the size, white date wheel and offset AP writing. This looks much better.
Old 15 January 2017, 10:39 AM   #20
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow! AP is off to a great start this year! Always loved the RG on black ceramic on the Legacy but didn't like the size, white date wheel and offset AP writing. This looks much better.
Well said.
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 08:00 AM   #21
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, that looks awesome!
Great color scheme
Love the blue on the chrono hands
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 09:07 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 06:55 PM   #23
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats on another great AP! Wonder what the 44mm ceramic would look like with a grey camo strap?
I was thinking the same thing - great to offset the dial...I've already got the strap ordered!
Old 16 January 2017, 06:56 PM   #24
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
There are still quite a few at AP I hear. My AD confirmed as well he could get one in 4-6 weeks no issues.
Paul is right - still a few laying around the shelves at Le Brassus...fortunately for me!