The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 January 2017, 04:36 AM   #1
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex
AP info

Hello everyone got a few questions, if use would be so kind to answer
Think I'm getting a 15710 diver soon and wanted to know where it ranks in the AP line up ?
I don't know much about APs if it was Rolex I would know right away the sub is iconic and will always hold its value etc etc. So wanting some more info from use AP guys.
Is the 42 diver not as sought after as the 44s ?
What is re sale value like are they soft ?
Been recommended to look at the 44 ROO but I think 42 is big enough for me and if I'm honest I've just never been a fan of chronograph watches in general.
MrGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 06:25 AM   #2
jem7v
Banned

The 15400 is probably more accurate to match with a sub. The chrono version of the 15400 equal to that of a daytona.

44mm probably equal to yachmaster? Idk I don't think the 44s can be matched to anything rolex offers.

The 42mm seem to depreciate the most out of all of them except for a few LEs.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 06:31 AM   #3
sssteel
"TRF" Member

The SS Diver is QUITE a popular watch!
Overly popular if you ask me. While the 44s are very popular here on TRF, I've seen equally countless "New AP - SS Diver" threads as well!
Not exactly sure on prices lately, but I certainly don't believe they drop like a brick either!

I definitely do like 42 over 44 too btw, and the Diver is PLENTY an iconic AP with TONS of mass appeal!

If you like the watch & design (it's boring & plain to me), then buy it as I really don't think you can go wrong! Should be able to offload it pretty quickly when it's time for it to go!
Enjoy!
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 06:43 AM   #4
texex91
"TRF" Member

Personally I would not call the Diver SS hugely popular.

OP if you're going to buy one make sure to get a large discount as the secondary is not great on them.

44mm all the way IMHO.

Buy right and enjoy whatever you end up with.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 07:05 AM   #5
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteel View Post
The SS Diver is QUITE a popular watch!
Overly popular if you ask me. While the 44s are very popular here on TRF, I've seen equally countless "New AP - SS Diver" threads as well!
Not exactly sure on prices lately, but I certainly don't believe they drop like a brick either!

I definitely do like 42 over 44 too btw, and the Diver is PLENTY an iconic AP with TONS of mass appeal!

If you like the watch & design (it's boring & plain to me), then buy it as I really don't think you can go wrong! Should be able to offload it pretty quickly when it's time for it to go!
Enjoy!
This is more because it's the cheapest new AP, not so much because everyone is obsessed with them. The carbon and ceramic are different though.

The steel diver and the 15400 are the entry level AP watches the same as a sub is the entry level rolex.
Old 15 January 2017, 07:14 AM   #6
Canine64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
This is more because it's the cheapest new AP, not so much because everyone is obsessed with them. The carbon and ceramic are different though.

The steel diver and the 15400 are the entry level AP watches the same as a sub is the entry level rolex.
Or like a Boxster in the Porsche lineup. Heck. Even my hairdresser drives a Chickster.

Buy something you like. Try it on for size. Don't let a bunch of watch nerds influence what you buy.
Canine64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 08:11 PM   #7
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Personally I would not call the Diver SS hugely popular.

OP if you're going to buy one make sure to get a large discount as the secondary is not great on them.

44mm all the way IMHO.

Buy right and enjoy whatever you end up with.
Seen a few for 20% off is this good or should I be getting more discount. Tried on the 15710 and really did like it and the 15400 was nice but I preferred the diver also tried on a 44 chrono but was too big and as I said I really not into chronograph watches at all even dislike the iconic and very popular Daytona so chronograph watches are out of the question for me.
Old 15 January 2017, 08:50 PM   #8
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGMT View Post
Seen a few for 20% off is this good or should I be getting more discount. Tried on the 15710 and really did like it and the 15400 was nice but I preferred the diver also tried on a 44 chrono but was too big and as I said I really not into chronograph watches at all even dislike the iconic and very popular Daytona so chronograph watches are out of the question for me.
20% off for a AP RO or ROO from an AD is a good deal.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 11:43 PM   #9
texex91
"TRF" Member

Can't speak for Europe, but in US dealers have about 37% margin so you can decide what is a 'good deal' for you.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 04:37 AM   #10
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
I don't think "entry level" in AP compares to "entry level" in Rolex, as even an entry level AP has much better finishing and detailing, plus the entry level Rolexes don't have date function/open case back, etc...so really there is no lineup. In terms of heritage and longevity, the Royal Oak 15202 is the oldest in the lineup, but it's far more expensive than the Sub and in any case is more along the lines of the Datejust in that it's a bit more dressy than sporty, which is, outside these forums, probably the more recognized and iconic Rolex.

I'd say the Diver, being a diver, is probably more *suitable* for comparison to a Sub, which is also a diver...but they're very different. Fwiw in the short time I've owned it, I've gotten more compliments on the Diver than any other watch I own, it's a real looker. However, its SS bezel is going to be less resistant to scratches/dings than a Sub's ceramic bezel, so personally if I'm going out somewhere where potential impacts are an issue it wouldn't be my first choice (although having said that, neither would the Sub as I prefer to keep the nice watches looking that way, there are times when a cheapo beater is a good thing to have imo).

Secondary on Diver is actually as good as/better than the other RO and ROO lines, exception being the pretty scarce 15202. I searched on watchrecon.com, the four I found have preowned prices I see for Divers today are around the $12.5-13K mark, 66-68% of MSRP retail ($19K) , actually quite good.

By comparison, the 44mm 26400SO.OO.A002CA.01 has MSRP of $33.4K and can be had preowned at the $20K mark (60% of MSRP). Diver is a popular piece, and if you're like me and generally prefer three-handers, it's the way to go in the ROO line.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 05:00 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The Diver was very popular here but there have been far less incomings of late and I think for a ROO most now desire a 44 even if the size is larger. I had one but the 44 is on another level. However 20% off in UK is a good deal.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 05:53 AM   #12
improviz
"TRF" Member

Personal preference. To me the 44mm's wear a bit too large for my taste, but everyone's taste is different. Chronos do wear a bit smaller so in that sense the 44mm chronos don't dwarf the 42mm Diver, so OP, you could definitely give it a shot and see!
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 16 January 2017, 06:03 AM   #13
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
I don't think "entry level" in AP compares to "entry level" in Rolex, as even an entry level AP has much better finishing and detailing, plus the entry level Rolexes don't have date function/open case back, etc...so really there is no lineup. In terms of heritage and longevity, the Royal Oak 15202 is the oldest in the lineup, but it's far more expensive than the Sub and in any case is more along the lines of the Datejust in that it's a bit more dressy than sporty, which is, outside these forums, probably the more recognized and iconic Rolex.

I'd say the Diver, being a diver, is probably more *suitable* for comparison to a Sub, which is also a diver...but they're very different. Fwiw in the short time I've owned it, I've gotten more compliments on the Diver than any other watch I own, it's a real looker. However, its SS bezel is going to be less resistant to scratches/dings than a Sub's ceramic bezel, so personally if I'm going out somewhere where potential impacts are an issue it wouldn't be my first choice (although having said that, neither would the Sub as I prefer to keep the nice watches looking that way, there are times when a cheapo beater is a good thing to have imo).

Secondary on Diver is actually as good as/better than the other RO and ROO lines, exception being the pretty scarce 15202. I searched on watchrecon.com, the four I found have preowned prices I see for Divers today are around the $12.5-13K mark, 66-68% of MSRP retail ($19K) , actually quite good.

By comparison, the 44mm 26400SO.OO.A002CA.01 has MSRP of $33.4K and can be had preowned at the $20K mark (60% of MSRP). Diver is a popular piece, and if you're like me and generally prefer three-handers, it's the way to go in the ROO line.
Was saying diver as entry level in the fact that people who want a rolex but can't afford so to speak a daytona or yachmaster or any of these other higher ones, buy a sub. It's the entry level. Same as people who buy a boxster who can't get the 911. Yes there are some who want that mid engine layout, but majority is because they can't afford the 911.

Same with patek's entry level or hublot with the classic fusion.

A diver is still better than most rolexes. And I wouldn't consider the 15202 as entry level.

The cheapest watch of any luxury brand will have the most sales, because it's the easiest for people to get ahold of. For some people it's because they truly want that particular model. For most, it's just to show off sadly.
Old 16 January 2017, 06:29 AM   #14
improviz
"TRF" Member

Except that the Sub isn't really the entry-level Rolex, there are other lower-priced models.

Stereotypes aren't helpful, either, but I'm not going to waste time arguing with them. Suffice it to say I have what I have because it's what I want, not what others want, and considering that most people have no clue what other brands outside of Rolex are, generally speaking if you buy one of these to show off to anyone other than a WIS type, you're wasting your money.
Old 16 January 2017, 07:40 PM   #15
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

I'm definitely not buying the AP to show off or interested in what others will think. My final two choices of watcher are the Rolex 116718ln solid gold GMT or the 15710 AP diver and I favoured the 15710 because it was more under the radar and the gold GMT is too flashy for me personally.
On holiday currently have one more week then when I get back think I'll need to pick up a 15710 keep feeling as if I'm trying to talk myself out of this watch and I have no idea why, when I tried it on it felt and looked amazing think I need to just grab it and be done.
Old 16 January 2017, 09:26 PM   #16
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
The 15710 is definetly less flashy than a 116718 :P
Even though 15710 is the cheapest ROO you can but I haven't heard anyone refer to it as a poormans ROO. It has quite the following even among people who has more expensive pieces.