The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2017, 09:38 AM   #1
NativeTxn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Get rid of SMPc for a Speedy?

So I'm in a conundrum and am looking to some of the thoughts and opinions here.

My current lineup is:

Omega SMPc (blue dial)
Archimede SportTaucher A
Christopher Ward C5 Malvern
Seiko Orange Monster
Seiko Padi Turtle

The archimede isn't going anywhere for sentimental reasons and the CW serves as my dress watch when I need one. I like the Seikos for beaters, pool, etc.

I plan on getting a (probably) Yachtmaster in about 3 years to commemorate my 40th birthday (though things could obviously change between now and then) but I also plan on picking up the Speedy with Hesalite in the next 3-6 months.

So, my conundrum is whether to sell the SMPc. I like the watch but I'm not "in love" with it. I have other divers I could use to fill that roll, and one day I may add a Sub. Selling it isn't necessary to fund the speedy, but it could obviously defray the costs a bit.

I know if I regret it I could always rebuy it (even though I bought it from a trusted seller and it's still in excellent condition with mostly just signs of usage on the bracelet, I'm sure I'd likely lose out money wise going that route), but I was just wondering if anyone else has ever sold their SMPc and regretted it. Whether you felt the urge to buy it again. Etc.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NativeTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 11:55 AM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
The Speedmaster is a must own Omega watch. Chances are if you're wanting one that badly it won't just go away. With the Seiko's as beaters for the pool / ocean you're set in my opinion. Giving up that Seamaster may not be easy but having a Chronograph can be a blast to play around with (not to mention very useful!). Go to an AD, compare both side by side and see what you think after as well. Best of luck to you making this choice, it's a win-win anyway.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 12:14 PM   #3
JacksonStone
Banned

Assuming you're getting the Speedy either way, I say keep the SMPc unless you're completely over it. It's one of the nicer watches in your current collection, and there's no redundancy between it and the Speedy. Paradoxically, resale won't be that great, so I don't see the point in getting rid of it if you get any enjoyment out of it at all. That goes double if you think you might want to re-acquire it at some point. IMO, only sell if it does absolutely nothing for you any more.

I owned a late-'90s SMP (America's Cup LE, non-co-axial) that I sold. I did find I missed it from time to time, although I got over that by eventually getting a Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial, which for my money is the nicest diver Omega makes. I think the SMPc is nicer than the SMP I had, though, and I'd probably have kept it.

Something to keep in mind with the original Moonwatch is that its movement is manual wind with no hacking ability (you can stop the seconds by going slightly backward when setting the time, but it's not an exact process). Personally, I found it annoying, especially since I didn't wear it that often, and would sometimes forget to wind it. That meant I often had to reset it before I could wear it again. Mine had a moonphase and date on the fourth register, so resetting proved a real chore. A standard three-register Speedy would be easier to deal with, but it's still something to be aware of if you've never owned one.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2017, 01:01 AM   #4
Dmazzle
"TRF" Member

As someone who's owned both and both at the same time, keep the smp and find a nice pre owned speedy. They compliment each other very nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dmazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 05:50 AM   #5
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
Yes, you have the drive watch category covered well. Buy the most iconic watch of all time.
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 05:04 PM   #6
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazzle View Post
as someone who's owned both and both at the same time, keep the smp and find a nice pre owned speedy. They compliment each other very nicely.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
x2
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 05:23 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Yes, the crown is small on the Speedy but it does hack easily on crown back pressure if done prior to winding.

And it did time that burn on 13.

Every watch wissy should have one.

I chose the Sapphire Sandwich.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.1 KB, 87 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote