The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2017, 05:26 PM   #31
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkd668 View Post
Sounds like you love the meteorite dial (can't blame you 😂) and also love to have a Rolex, and the means to get a Daytona meteorite. If I was you, I'd get the Omega Apollo-Soyuz and the Rolex Daytona. 2 great watches for the price of 1?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ya, I thought about it, but I'm not super patient, sadly - even though it's a virtue :) With skydweller - I can get a mint one with a huge discount right now. With Omega who knows how long it's going to take to find one in acceptable condition at acceptable price.. So I'm just going to wait until my patience runs out, and then I'll get whatever is available at the moment, I guess!
vladi123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 06:14 PM   #32
venom43
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grail Daytona
Icon6

Look if your gonna bring in Rolex I went with this... imo, best dress sports watch, grail by the way....which I think of when I think of a Daytona.
As far as the Omega meteorite... I went with the omega due to it being a moon watch and the accent of silver and black dial...not flashy, but just enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1558.JPG (205.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1546.JPG (99.0 KB, 143 views)
ROLEX:(116200)SS DATEJUST,(216570)SS EXPLORER II "POLAR",*(116518-0073)YG DAYTONA*,(116718)YG GMT MASTER IIc,(16610)SS SUBMARINER 50th LV,(16623)TT YACHT-MASTER ~BREITLING:SUPER OCEAN 44 ~JLC:NAVY SEALs ~OMEGA:PLANET OCEAN "LIQUIDMETAL LE" & (2201.51),SPEEEDMASTER PRO "METEORITE DIAL",SEAMASTER PRO GMT "GREAT WHITE" ~TUDOR:BLACK BAY(R)
venom43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 10:05 PM   #33
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
Since this a rolex forum, and everything is skewed toward rolex, let the pic be the judge (yeah i know, not the best quality pic). Omega speedy 42mm vs Rolex daytona 40. Personally, Omega doesnt wear that much bigger compared to rolex. Or if you doubt Daytona's 40mm, no worry, it wears quite large.
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 11:19 PM   #34
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Rolex actually looks bigger in this pic!
Old 19 January 2017, 05:42 AM   #35
Pte6000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & a Jubilee
Bought mine from a guy who purchased new and never took the stickers off. The watch did have to go back to Omega because the chrono was having trouble resetting the sub dials. Fixed for free and extended the warranty.
My favorite watch by a mile, and probably the one most likely to actually be worth more than I paid one day.
My big complaint is the omega box, the grey pleather coating is flaking off
and the soyuz logo cracked. Could have been because of the storage conditions the original owner had the box in, he was in FL so the humidity might have done a number on it. Not really sure, I think there is actually a oem box on eBay strangely enough.
The Daytona or Day Date meteorite watches far too flashy IMO. Specifically the PCLs on the Daytona.

Pte6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 07:35 AM   #36
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pte6000 View Post
Bought mine from a guy who purchased new and never took the stickers off. The watch did have to go back to Omega because the chrono was having trouble resetting the sub dials. Fixed for free and extended the warranty.
My favorite watch by a mile, and probably the one most likely to actually be worth more than I paid one day.
My big complaint is the omega box, the grey pleather coating is flaking off
and the soyuz logo cracked. Could have been because of the storage conditions the original owner had the box in, he was in FL so the humidity might have done a number on it. Not really sure, I think there is actually a oem box on eBay strangely enough.
The Daytona or Day Date meteorite watches far too flashy IMO. Specifically the PCLs on the Daytona.
Ya, Daytona is not my first choice - but seeing how I'm late to the party with Omega, it seems to be the only way right now to get a meteorite dial. I was able to find an old new stock WG Daytona with a meteorite dial for about $17K - which is pretty good, I guess. But I'm still hesitating.

When I was younger and single, I was able to solve these types of issues by getting super drunk and then buying what I really wanted - while my conscience was asleep. That is how I bought my first Mercedes) I wish I could use that technique again, this watch buying experience is starting to get on my nerves
Old 19 January 2017, 07:40 AM   #37
Pte6000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & a Jubilee
Omega has a new watch with a meteorite, Model #: 311.63.44.51.99.001 GREY SIDE OF THE MOON METEORITE - Saw it in person this summer in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi123456 View Post
Ya, Daytona is not my first choice - but seeing how I'm late to the party with Omega, it seems to be the only way right now to get a meteorite dial. I was able to find an old new stock WG Daytona with a meteorite dial for about $17K - which is pretty good, I guess. But I'm still hesitating.

When I was younger and single, I was able to solve these types of issues by getting super drunk and then buying what I really wanted - while my conscience was asleep. That is how I bought my first Mercedes) I wish I could use that technique again, this watch buying experience is starting to get on my nerves
Pte6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 08:06 AM   #38
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Omega has a new watch with a meteorite, Model #: 311.63.44.51.99.001 GREY SIDE OF THE MOON METEORITE - Saw it in person this summer in London.
Beautiful watch, congrats on landing the Soyuz when you did. It's really one of my favorites as well. The Grey Side meteorite is pretty stunning as well.....I just couldn't justify adding another grey side to my collection (I own the original grey side). The meteorite daytona is on the back of my mind as well since I like the Soyuz so much.....but I keep going back and forth since I know I will buy the 116506 next year and would I wear the meteorite if I had that on rotation......I do think the meteorite Daytona didn't hook me in person as the Soyuz does.....IMO the Soyuz is a far better looking watch with a better color scheme.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 10:26 AM   #39
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I think you'd be on the right track...one of the most stunning speedmasters that no pictures do justice:

This dial is very dynamic in various lightning and the meteorite dial truly complements the rich space history behind speedmaster. You cannot go wrong with this watch.
Looks awesome.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 10:46 AM   #40
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I saw it online, but it didn't seem as special as the Apollo Soyuz one - there's just something about that Soyuz that just tells me to buy it
Old 19 January 2017, 10:48 AM   #41
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I do think the meteorite Daytona didn't hook me in person as the Soyuz does.....IMO the Soyuz is a far better looking watch with a better color scheme.
Ya, rub it in
Well, just heard from the dealer about that WG Daytona I found, and the dealer confirmed it comes with a full 5 year Rolex warranty - so it looks like I might be getting me a Daytona after all since it's almost half off
Old 3 February 2017, 09:42 AM   #42
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Well, it took me a while, but I was able to score the last one on Earth - brand new Apollo Soyuz with a box, papers, 2 years of warranty and everything. I think if I put as much effort into getting a promotion - I would've been a vice president by now :))

Old 3 February 2017, 10:02 AM   #43
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice! Congrats ! I hear they are still floating around at certain boutiques around the world. Happy you found one...now enjoy the hell out of it!
Old 3 February 2017, 10:06 AM   #44
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
I have to be honest with all you guys and say that Omega does make a nice watch but it doesn't really come close to a Rolex... whether it's been on the moon or not it's more of a marketing Ploy than anything else I don't think there would have been an issue if a Rolex Daytona went to the Moon either
Old 3 February 2017, 10:06 AM   #45
JacksonStone
Banned

Nice acquisition! Congrats. How about some close-ups of that bad boy?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 10:26 AM   #46
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax21 View Post
I have to be honest with all you guys and say that Omega does make a nice watch but it doesn't really come close to a Rolex... whether it's been on the moon or not it's more of a marketing Ploy than anything else I don't think there would have been an issue if a Rolex Daytona went to the Moon either
I think you found the wrong thread...you're welcome to start another thread though to join that debate/trolling.
Old 3 February 2017, 10:53 AM   #47
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I think you found the wrong thread...you're welcome to start another thread though to join that debate/trolling.
Well said. We could have the Rolex vs. Omega debate ad nauseum, but this isn't the thread for it. This is about Vladi getting an awesome watch by any standard, and enjoying it. (And showing pictures of it.) Again, congrats, Vladi.
Old 3 February 2017, 11:04 AM   #48
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Initially I signed up on this forum as I was all set on getting a Rolex. But after months of research I ended up with Omega again. The issue with Rolex for me - it's too small. Only a couple of models are > 40mm. I still might get the SkyDweller, even though I would honestly prefer something around 44mm in diameter. Daytona at 38mm is way too small, this is something my wife would end up wearing, probably
Old 3 February 2017, 11:04 AM   #49
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Quote:
Hi all,
So I signed up here determined to find out more about Rolex watches and eventually to get me one. But a couple of weeks ago I discovered this Apollo SOYUZ watch - and I think instead of Rolex I now want to buy me one of those.
Would any owners like to share their findings in regards to this watch - issues or otherwise?
Regards,
-V

sensui
Quote:

I'm merely giving my opinion and all I really wanted to say was that the Omega is a great watch and I hope you enjoy it however when you get an opportunity go for a Daytona i think you ll love it...
Old 3 February 2017, 11:06 AM   #50
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice! Congrats ! I hear they are still floating around at certain boutiques around the world. Happy you found one...now enjoy the hell out of it!
Thank you, sir! I must say - pictures don't do any justice to this watch. In real life it looks way nicer than any of the pictures I was able to take of it, or any I've seen of it!
Old 3 February 2017, 11:09 AM   #51
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Well said. We could have the Rolex vs. Omega debate ad nauseum, but this isn't the thread for it. This is about Vladi getting an awesome watch by any standard, and enjoying it. (And showing pictures of it.) Again, congrats, Vladi.
Thank you! I just got it a couple of hours ago, and of course the bracelet needs to be sized - or maybe I should get a leather strap for it. But so far in my opinion this Omega looks much better than I expected. Very happy I was able to find one!
Old 3 February 2017, 12:29 PM   #52
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you! I just got it a couple of hours ago, and of course the bracelet needs to be sized - or maybe I should get a leather strap for it. But so far in my opinion this Omega looks much better than I expected. Very happy I was able to find one!
Yeah the dial has so many looks in real life with the striations on the meteorite....it's definitely very hard to do the watch justice without seeing it in real life. Wear it for a couple days and look at it in different lights...really amazing piece.
Old 3 February 2017, 12:35 PM   #53
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Yeah the dial has so many looks in real life with the striations on the meteorite....it's definitely very hard to do the watch justice without seeing it in real life. Wear it for a couple days and look at it in different lights...really amazing piece.
It's definitely the nicest Speedie I've seen in person.
Old 3 February 2017, 02:35 PM   #54
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Yes, now I just need to remember to wind it daily!
I still need to read the manual - after winding it for the first time the second hand was not moving, but after pushing the pushers it started moving and synchronized with the small second hand - I have no idea how I did it, ha!
The wife insists on keeping a bracelet - even though I'm still entertaining the idea of a leather strap.
Very exciting day!
Old 3 February 2017, 02:50 PM   #55
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, now I just need to remember to wind it daily!
I still need to read the manual - after winding it for the first time the second hand was not moving, but after pushing the pushers it started moving and synchronized with the small second hand - I have no idea how I did it, ha!
The wife insists on keeping a bracelet - even though I'm still entertaining the idea of a leather strap.
Very exciting day!
First chronograph/speedy heh? The larger second hand is part of the chronograph function that the pushers control...the smaller subdial at nine o clock is the second counter that moves always when watch is wounded. This watch is very versatile like all speedies when it comes to straps and bracelets..variety is the spice of life!
Old 3 February 2017, 05:26 PM   #56
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
Welcome to Omega world. I myself has discovered it recently. Now I have 2 Omegas in my line up to go with all other various watch brands I own. I must say Omega does hold up on it's own against others. I'm saying it without any bias (after all this is a rolex forum), that Omega designs some of the nicest looking watches, including the one on your wrist. This coming from a guy who for the longest time only owns rolex brand. So congrats on your new toy.
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 08:13 AM   #57
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First chronograph/speedy heh? The larger second hand is part of the chronograph function that the pushers control...the smaller subdial at nine o clock is the second counter that moves always when watch is wounded. This watch is very versatile like all speedies when it comes to straps and bracelets..variety is the spice of life!
Ya, my first one! I need to read about the pushers - even though I probably will never use them after I play with them for a day or two)
Old 4 February 2017, 08:14 AM   #58
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungo View Post
Welcome to Omega world. I myself has discovered it recently. Now I have 2 Omegas in my line up to go with all other various watch brands I own. I must say Omega does hold up on it's own against others. I'm saying it without any bias (after all this is a rolex forum), that Omega designs some of the nicest looking watches, including the one on your wrist. This coming from a guy who for the longest time only owns rolex brand. So congrats on your new toy.
Thank you :) Actually, I fist bought an Omega watch about 12 years ago - and just sold it a few weeks ago. I was sure I would buy a Rolex this time, but after seeing the Apollo Soyuz, I couldn't resist)
Old 7 February 2017, 08:39 AM   #59
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Well, today it happened..Forgot to wind my Omega.... How many turns does it take to fully wind it? I counted about 35? Is Omega like Rolex that it's not possible to over-wind it?
Old 7 February 2017, 10:02 AM   #60
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well, today it happened..Forgot to wind my Omega.... How many turns does it take to fully wind it? I counted about 35? Is Omega like Rolex that it's not possible to over-wind it?
On the speedmaster .... The crown stops turning when it's completely wound. In normal mechanical automatic pieces, there is over winding protection usually with a slipping clutch system but manual wind pieces like the speedmaster simply stops..... Would take significant force to wind past this point on a speedmaster and it would certainly break stuff.