The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 January 2017, 02:58 PM   #31
Yamazaki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
This is more accurate :)
28g is crazy. Whats the lightest mechanical watch in production today? Including strap
Yamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 08:39 PM   #32
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
If I ever have the good fortune of buying a $500K+ RM, it will be the KONGO/graffiti version. This is a close second. Fantastic piece. Should probably get a McLaren first
Me that would be the 27-02, love the new Nadal, and my second favorite RM is the 27-01, both are just awesome, and can be had for around 200K less than retail, what a bargain for 500 or 600K just need to sell a few properties, and explain my wife that we will need to tighten our belts as we will be much poorer, but what watch I will have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki View Post
28g is crazy. Whats the lightest mechanical watch in production today? Including strap
Not the 27-01? Can't imagine a watch being lighter...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 02:26 AM   #33
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Dollars to doughnuts you haven't tried any RM on before.
Can't speak for the other guy, but I tried a few on at an RM boutique. I just don't get the appeal of these unless it's a display of wealth. They seem wilfully ugly.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 03:01 AM   #34
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
You implied that the people who like this watch are tasteless morons. Then you said the platinum daytona is much better than the RM. That's fine, however, nobody said anything bad about Daytonas. This sub-forum is to appreciate other watch manufactures without being made to feel like an idiot.
My friend perhaps you should reread my original Post. I implied nothing of the kind. I simply stated my opinion that anyone who would spend 900+ K for what in my opinion is is an outrageously expensive and ugly plastic watch has more money than brains and taste. After all 900 K does leave a lot wiggle room for the brains and taste side of the equation.

It does say "Forum" at the top of the page and the last time that I checked a forum is defined as: a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

I would suggest that you will be much happier if and when you realize that you cannot get through life without encountering opinions that differ from your own. To use your own words, "If everyone had the same taste in life the world would be pretty boring."
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 03:15 AM   #35
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
Dollars to doughnuts you haven't tried any RM on before.
True, I've only seen photographs. They all seem a little too cartoonish to me, almost like they are trying too hard to be hip. I feel the same way about Hublot.
Old 20 January 2017, 04:07 AM   #36
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
My friend perhaps you should reread my original Post. I implied nothing of the kind. I simply stated my opinion that anyone who would spend 900+ K for what in my opinion is is an outrageously expensive and ugly plastic watch has more money than brains and taste. After all 900 K does leave a lot wiggle room for the brains and taste side of the equation.

It does say "Forum" at the top of the page and the last time that I checked a forum is defined as: a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

I would suggest that you will be much happier if and when you realize that you cannot get through life without encountering opinions that differ from your own. To use your own words, "If everyone had the same taste in life the world would be pretty boring."
"more money than brains and taste" = tasteless moron. All day every day. There is no misinterpretation about that. You are more than welcome to your opinion, but perhaps your delivery could use a little work? I'm a little tired of someone serving us poop and calling it caviar, under the guise of a "misread". Either way, this has derailed the thread enough. Cheers.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 04:28 AM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Can't speak for the other guy, but I tried a few on at an RM boutique. I just don't get the appeal of these unless it's a display of wealth. They seem wilfully ugly.
Ok.

Quote:
True, I've only seen photographs. They all seem a little too cartoonish to me, almost like they are trying too hard to be hip. I feel the same way about Hublot.
I felt the same way by I tried on an 11 and a 35-01 and the details and fit and finishing is really nice. Of course the price is not justified but these are luxury goods. Same could be said for pretty much all watches.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 04:47 AM   #38
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
"more money than brains and taste" = tasteless moron. All day every day. There is no misinterpretation about that. You are more than welcome to your opinion, but perhaps your delivery could use a little work? I'm a little tired of someone serving us poop and calling it caviar, under the guise of a "misread". Either way, this has derailed the thread enough. Cheers.
Your equation is unbalanced, we can leave it at that. Cheers
Old 20 January 2017, 05:01 AM   #39
texex91
"TRF" Member

Another RM bash thread by a few.

No different than I really don't care for several brands, but no need to be rude or make assumptions about buyers.

But like I said haters will be haters and enjoy what you like.

Try and have a little decorum in the forum though.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 05:46 AM   #40
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
RM is avant-garde, both when it comes to design and product materials. Unlike most other watch brands they are not derivative or looking back on their glory days. Lastly they are doing great in a market that is brutal for pretty much all other brands so they must be doing something right.

And to get back on topic I really like when brands try to make watches thinner and lighter. Montblanc released a concept watch weighing less than 15 grams recently, time only though.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 06:14 AM   #41
HOHO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Blue
Why do people have to hate?
If you can afford them, but them and enjoy them.

Amazing watches!
HOHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 12:23 PM   #42
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Pricing besides, this is a technological masterpiece. I can't imagine why anyone would compare this to a run-of-the-mill Daytona.

Here's an interesting youtube video about this watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzZ83KMlCdg
Old 22 January 2017, 03:47 AM   #43
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Pricing besides, this is a technological masterpiece. I can't imagine why anyone would compare this to a run-of-the-mill Daytona.

Here's an interesting youtube video about this watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzZ83KMlCdg
A Platinum Daytona is run-of-the-mill? That's an interesting point of view, to which of course you are entitled. The point of my post, which I'm afraid was lost amidst the righteous indignation, was that a magnificent (in my opinion) Rolex, which performs the exact same functions as a watch that I find obscenely overpriced and ugly could be had for one 20th on the price. Technologically advanced, yes ...but justifying the price, not to my mind. Richard Mille must be laughing all the way to the bank. Nice video by the way.
Old 22 January 2017, 04:05 AM   #44
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the righteous indignation.
Kettle. Black.

Quote:
Nice watch, if you have more money than brains or taste.
Quote:
RM looks like a plastic mall watch.
Quote:
After all 900 K does leave a lot wiggle room for the brains and taste side of the equation.
Enjoy your Daytona.
Old 22 January 2017, 04:07 AM   #45
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A Platinum Daytona is run-of-the-mill? That's an interesting point of view, to which of course you are entitled. The point of my post, which I'm afraid was lost amidst the righteous indignation, was that a magnificent (in my opinion) Rolex, which performs the exact same functions as a watch that I find obscenely overpriced and ugly could be had for one 20th on the price. Technologically advanced, yes ...but justifying the price, not to my mind. Richard Mille must be laughing all the way to the bank. Nice video by the way.
Like the others here, I don't think I will want to waste time arguing with you further. Thank you for your input.
Old 22 January 2017, 04:28 AM   #46
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Like the others here, I don't think I will want to waste time arguing with you further. Thank you for your input.
I'm not arguing, but if you don't want to have a discussion with me I would suggest that you don't quote my posts and expect no response.
Old 22 January 2017, 04:32 AM   #47
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Kettle. Black.

Enjoy your Daytona.
Yes these are my posts and I stand behind them. Do you have a point?
Old 22 January 2017, 04:37 AM   #48
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Some might not like them, I also only love very few RM models, but a brand which makes featherweight watches is IMO, worthy of interest, but I also didn't understand the brand before, doesn't take away from the fact that yes they are overpriced, but then again in luxury what isn't...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 05:24 AM   #49
Constantine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
No different than I really don't care for several brands, but no need to be rude or make assumptions about buyers.

Try and have a little decorum in the forum though.
Exactly this. I also do not like some watches that other people buy and post pictures of, but I do not go pissing on their parade.

Arclight - it was not the fact that you have a different taste that people objected to, it was the manner (or lack of) with which you did it. Would you go to a friend to tell him his wife is ugly? Why not, it might really be your honest opinion that this is the case.
Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 05:39 AM   #50
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Some might not like them, I also only love very few RM models, but a brand which makes featherweight watches is IMO, worthy of interest, but I also didn't understand the brand before, doesn't take away from the fact that yes they are overpriced, but then again in luxury what isn't...
Nice to see that not all react so defensively to my admittedly frank opinions!
Old 22 January 2017, 05:42 AM   #51
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Exactly this. I also do not like some watches that other people buy and post pictures of, but I do not go pissing on their parade.

Arclight - it was not the fact that you have a different taste that people objected to, it was the manner (or lack of) with which you did it. Would you go to a friend to tell him his wife is ugly? Why not, it might really be your honest opinion that this is the case.
Good point! I guess it would depend on how close a friend he was. :)
Old 22 January 2017, 07:00 AM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I'm not arguing, but if you don't want to have a discussion with me I would suggest that you don't quote my posts and expect no response.
The point is you have poor manners.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 08:14 AM   #53
Arclight
Banned

Quote:
The point is you have poor manners.
So now it's come to personal attacks? Are you that threatened? Why do you even bother with a forum if you can't deal with opinions that differ than your own? Do any of those who have complained so loudly about my comments even own one of these 900K monstrosities?
Old 22 January 2017, 08:38 AM   #54
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Yes these are my posts and I stand behind them. Do you have a point?
I have a point and here it is: Don't post in this thread anymore. Clearly you made your point and insulted RM owners in the process. You are entitled to your opinion but enough is enough. So stop trolling because that is what you are now doing. Don't reply to this post and move on.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 09:51 AM   #55
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Thank you for stepping in Ken. It was an unnecessarily rude way to express his opinion I agree.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 10:18 AM   #56
texex91
"TRF" Member

Thank you Ken.
Old 22 January 2017, 10:21 AM   #57
AMCK87
Banned

If we're all going to be "frank" and express our opinions, then allow me to do the same - THIS WATCH IS SICK!
AMCK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 11:07 AM   #58
benlee
"TRF" Member

Thank you Ken. Bravo.
Old 22 January 2017, 04:38 PM   #59
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Thank you. Now this thread can get back on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 06:47 PM   #60
Star Ferry
Banned

Now graphene is a cool material. I remember reading this a few years ago: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...erial-question
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote