The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 June 2016, 04:59 AM   #1
KarlS
Banned

FP Journe Quantieme Perpetual - Any owners

I am a huge PP fan and been cogitating on a PC and trying to understand emotionally and mentally with the premium for a PC is warranted above an AC. ALS I keep looking at and find the dial fussy to cluttered to read properly but would love to find space for an ALS one day. Big attraction is the large date which is the second most important function on a watch for me on a daily basis.

PP with the dials just looks like everything has been sucked down by gravity and I am struggling to fall in love with any of those. I think I have concluded that Windows versus dials for day, date etc works better for me.

Today in the Miami Boutique I was presented with the FPJ PC and others. I never really gave this much thought as I always thought the salmon colour dial was gross and the flower shaped dial just weird.

In the flesh the platinum was absolutely gorgeous. Photos do it no favours. From a movement perspective all the functions are changed via the crown versus push buttons in the case. And heading to perfection the date, month and day switch over at exactly the same time. No gradual changes over hours so that's s horological improvement that few have. It also has a 120 hour PR which is great for a PC although it is automatic.

Resale on this brand is awful but this watch has made me wake up to other alternatives. Are there any owners who can share pictures or give a personal and unbiased view of the watch.
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2016, 06:35 AM   #2
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Not too many owners, probably, as FPJ's total yearly output is less than 1/50th that of PP, but I have seen this watch in person. It's a classic, no question. Mr. Journe kept this watch off the market until he got the date change to be exactly how he wanted it.

Try over at the FPJ forum on tz.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2016, 08:19 AM   #3
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Not too many owners, probably, as FPJ's total yearly output is less than 1/50th that of PP, but I have seen this watch in person. It's a classic, no question. Mr. Journe kept this watch off the market until he got the date change to be exactly how he wanted it.

Try over at the FPJ forum on tz.
Good point. I have two entry level FPJ that I wanted to test out and see how reliability is and boutique service etc. Still early to call but advantage of PP it's tried and tested and these movements are complex. Last thing I need is lack of reliability!
Old 30 June 2016, 09:11 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
FP Journe Quantieme Perpetual - Any owners

First off not an owner. With that out of the way I really appreciate mr journe making a PC that makes sense. I could never wrap my head around a manual wind PC. Can't use a winder and probably will end up wearing it around not set properly 90% of the time which would drive me mad!

So I appreciate the auto movement and 120 power reserve in this case.

Dial is an acquired taste. I much prefer the pt version and at only 4K more, it's not unreasonable to upgrade from rose gold

Last but not least, I prefer journe watches with the off center time display. It has a very cool unique aesthetic that I just love. Chronometre optimum comes to mind
Old 2 July 2016, 12:19 AM   #5
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
I think this watch is stunningly-gorgeous and if I had the money, I'd get one tomorrow. If I could find one first, that is. Where did you see it, OP? [Don't worry, I'm not about to snatch it away from under your nose, sadly.]

Edit - rereading your post, I see it was Miami.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2016, 12:38 AM   #6
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
I think this watch is stunningly-gorgeous and if I had the money, I'd get one tomorrow. If I could find one first, that is. Where did you see it, OP? [Don't worry, I'm not about to snatch it away from under your nose, sadly.]

Edit - rereading your post, I see it was Miami.
Yes the Miami Boutique was excellent. Far better in terms of service and stock than HK and vastly superior to the AD in London, Dubai and Kuwait. Saying all that the dial on the PC is perfect as totally uncluttered. Hiding the perpetual grid is ingenious and there is a rapid month forward switch in the lug. Setting the PC even when stopped is quick! However it's $78k in USA and I think £ 59000 in London, which after tax is $67000 to me. I haven't asked about discount as there are 3 people on the UK waiting list. The big question is that you just know to sell it you will take a hiding and a Dato PC is in that price range but this is much easier to read for me. One thing I noticed is there is no second hand! Good or bad not sure! I am not a fan of the off Centres dials hence my attraction for this model.
Old 2 July 2016, 01:22 AM   #7
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Yes the Miami Boutique was excellent. Far better in terms of service and stock than HK and vastly superior to the AD in London, Dubai and Kuwait. Saying all that the dial on the PC is perfect as totally uncluttered. Hiding the perpetual grid is ingenious and there is a rapid month forward switch in the lug. Setting the PC even when stopped is quick! However it's $78k in USA and I think £ 59000 in London, which after tax is $67000 to me. I haven't asked about discount as there are 3 people on the UK waiting list. The big question is that you just know to sell it you will take a hiding and a Dato PC is in that price range but this is much easier to read for me. One thing I noticed is there is no second hand! Good or bad not sure! I am not a fan of the off Centres dials hence my attraction for this model.
Yes, I noticed no second hand. I guess you can be sure the watch is still running by checking the power reserve.

I read somewhere that the watch can be reset to any date & year within 20-30 seconds.

I like nearly all the FPJs, the off-centre ones look a little like a Lange 1 with some French flair added, and the "conventional" ones are mostly very pretty as well. Not so keen on the Centigraphe.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2016, 02:57 AM   #8
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Yes, I noticed no second hand. I guess you can be sure the watch is still running by checking the power reserve.
I think checking the time after 5 minutes would confirm whether the watch is running or not.

The Centigraphe is an acquired taste, even for those who like FPJ.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:39 AM   #9
ggencer
"TRF" Member

Well I had the same issue. Visited Miami Boutique loved PC. But I am not sure if it is the right choice to get compared to PP 5327.

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
ggencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:53 AM   #10
KarlS
Banned

To be frank....the allure has waned in that I prefer applied numerals and these look printed...had truly underwhelming service at their Geneva showroom and the blue 5327 is my favourite by far!!!
Old 20 January 2017, 01:24 AM   #11
ggencer
"TRF" Member

Well since I have 5270G in blue I am looking for 5327r. It has a nice ivory dial. But seems like picking PP again is the right choice...

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
ggencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 06:43 AM   #12
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I am waiting for the Black Label version of the FPJ PC. Hopefully early this year and I think the dial will be a real killer!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 09:47 AM   #13
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
I am waiting for the Black Label version of the FPJ PC. Hopefully early this year and I think the dial will be a real killer!
I think your dead right, the Black Label will be killer. As it has been on many of the other models.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 01:35 PM   #14
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
How about first right of refusal (at appropriate FPJ resale quotient) when u flip it in 3 months Roger
Old 20 January 2017, 02:56 PM   #15
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Highly amusing Karl.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journe , perpetual