The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 5 January 2017, 01:51 AM   #1
Got Rolex?
"TRF" Member

Service, Service, Service

1993 Rolex GMT II
Sent in for service (complete overhaul) in Aug 2013 - Returned good to go.
Dropped the watch, oops!!! Sent back and was fixed 2 months prior to the warranty expiring. Less than a year and a half later the watch completely fails (no it was not dropped again) ... AD opens the watch, yup screw fell out, insides damaged, etc. Sent to Rolex - they want $750 to fix, really? Rolex says that's the price to fix, AD is considering doing something. The day I sent it in I bought a batman GMT from the AD supporting the local.
Your thoughts, recourse???? Thanks,

Rolex did all of the three services.
Got Rolex? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 01:55 AM   #2
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
who did the service in 2013?
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 01:57 AM   #3
Got Rolex?
"TRF" Member

Rolex did all 3 of the services
Old 5 January 2017, 02:50 AM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

If a screw comes loose and the watch has not been dropped, it's always the fault of the watchmaker. They should fix it for free IMO.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 06:45 AM   #5
steviebeat
"TRF" Member

When you do the Rolex training one thing you notice they are obsessed with in the UK anyway is tightening the screws properly. So they are well aware its an issue that if it comes up its the watchmaker's fault so I would push them on this. Its a bloody cheek they are even putting you in this position, I would find out who the top man is and write him a letter.
steviebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 07:29 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviebeat View Post
When you do the Rolex training one thing you notice they are obsessed with in the UK anyway is tightening the screws properly. So they are well aware its an issue that if it comes up its the watchmaker's fault so I would push them on this. Its a bloody cheek they are even putting you in this position, I would find out who the top man is and write him a letter.
A lot of the screws I tightened during my Rolex internship were checked. In the beginning they were often too loose. It is a quick mistake and one that is sometimes hard to detect during quality control.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 08:35 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
When you get warrantied service, it is good for 2 years. Even if they need to overhaul it at a month prior to the end of that warranty period, you do not get another 2 year warranty added on.

It is indeed unfortunate that a screw came loose.
Old 9 January 2017, 11:26 AM   #8
Got Rolex?
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses - I am still pretty shocked that Rolex is not backing its work of less than a year and a half as they told me that watches would be expected to be serviced every 7-10 years. At this point I am still brand and local AD loyal (although the latter may change). Rolex would not tell me how much the local AD is receiving for the 'service' of sending in the watch, but I gotta believe that it's more than just a courtesy.
Old 9 January 2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rolex? View Post
Thanks for the responses - I am still pretty shocked that Rolex is not backing its work of less than a year and a half as they told me that watches would be expected to be serviced every 7-10 years. At this point I am still brand and local AD loyal (although the latter may change). Rolex would not tell me how much the local AD is receiving for the 'service' of sending in the watch, but I gotta believe that it's more than just a courtesy.
All I know is that the retail is only slightly higher than the wholesale to the AD. There really isn't much money to be made in the service, especially when they send it to Rolex.
You can call RSC yourself (if you know which one it went to) and plead with them.

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 09:37 AM   #10
the1911guy
"TRF" Member

Icon20

With the problems mentioned in various threads here, about RSC cost and occasional QC failures, are there any private watch repair service experts that have consistent excellent work record at fair or reasonable prices? I've looked into Mark Sirianni and Kelly Haynes for repair, as well as Gray&Sons and Michael Young for bracelet restoration.

Any feedback on them, and are there others of quality and reliability? I have an old GMT II two tone that needs overhaul and has a stretched bracelet.
the1911guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 12:31 PM   #11
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

the issue of loose screws is being addressed in numerous ways: Bergeon even offers screwdrivers with torque setting barrels.
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote