The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 7 January 2017, 12:37 AM   #1
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
How often are reversers replaced?

Was just wondering if replacing the reverser gears, or one of them is common during a overhaul? Im bringing in my 1980 5500 for a overhaul next week, and I was wondering if this would end up being done. I say that because when I bought the watch originally, I noticed that two of the reversers were missing their jewels. Im sure this caused a bunch of wear, no? Also, if one is replaced, do they all have to go?
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2017, 01:19 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

They're usually replaced in pairs. The reversers are of course parts that see a lot of wear when a watch gets worn often, because they are part of the automatic winding system, that is why they can need frequent replacement during routine service.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 03:11 AM   #3
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
They're usually replaced in pairs. The reversers are of course parts that see a lot of wear when a watch gets worn often, because they are part of the automatic winding system, that is why they can need frequent replacement during routine service.
Ok, figured as much. I remember looking at the movement pics when I bought it and it looked as if two of the reversers were missing jewels, but after reading up it appears that this is normal? RSC NY made no mention of this, so I'm assuming it is as it should be.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 05:10 AM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewaferthin View Post
Ok, figured as much. I remember looking at the movement pics when I bought it and it looked as if two of the reversers were missing jewels, but after reading up it appears that this is normal? RSC NY made no mention of this, so I'm assuming it is as it should be.
The reversers themselves don't have jewels (unlike many ETA movements) but they each rotate between two jewels in the upper and lower automatic bridge.

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2017, 11:33 AM   #5
bobridley
TechXpert & 2024 Pledge Member

As with the majority of parts for this or any other caliber, regular maintenance will extend the Reverser Wheel life expectancy.

Interestingly, there is a percentage of "rough winding" wheels that can be brought back into proper function after a de-magnification. Although the percentage is less than 30%, there's merit to include this check in an evaluation.

Bob
bobridley is offline   Reply With Quote