The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 January 2017, 08:33 PM   #1
airball7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Zenith Daytona
What Should I Look For In DRSD?

Looking for my first vintage purchase and have decided on the DRSD, probably from 1974-1977. What am I looking for? Do I want box & papers? Any recommended sellers? How the heck do I know what a decent price is? It appears to be a minefield out there, and I'm looking for a bit of help navigating it.

Spence
airball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 08:49 PM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Buy from a top dealer and be aware that you pay for that service. It is worth it in my honest opinion. Look for an undamaged dial, especially around the edges as these easily chip. As for a case you would like it to be fat and you would want to see a small bevel. Focus on this and leave insert, bracelet etc for later.

I would focus on getting an as good as possible watch. If that have paper and you are willing to pay the premium; buy B+P. Just donīt have that as a must. Finding the best possible watch will keep you happy for many, many years.

Best of luck!
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 02:56 AM   #3
smallcandle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Omega PO
X2 on this advice. While on the hunt for my DRSD I remained patient (which is difficult of course) until the right watch from the 'right' seller became available. It is true that I possibly overpaid a bit for my watch, but having it come from a highly respected seller who answered all questions promptly and thoroughly gave me the confidence to take the huge plunge.

Good luck in your quest, you won't be disappointed when you find your watch.

Things got out of control and I had to stab a clown...
smallcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 03:24 AM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I think finding the right watch trumps box and papers.....having a complete set is always nice but you have to decide if you want to pay the premium (on a highly desirable vintage like this, it's going to be significant). Most of the vintages dating back from the 70s and back don't come with complete sets easily. As the above posters say with the correct watch from the right seller.....I'd contact Kirill about this since it seems to fit your description to the T:

https://www.lunaroyster.com/watches/...y33b13p79y1i8h
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 03:36 AM   #5
Michael M.
Banned

Case and dial condition are pivotal. Keeping in mind MK4 dials are notorious for edge chipping that exposes the metal underneath the paint. Bracelet and inserts are easily sourced.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 04:36 AM   #6
Frogman4me
Banned

Dial first, case second as everyone mentioned and buying from a trustworthy seller or dealer is highly recommended. Not a lot of great examples floating around so take your time and enjoy the hunt. Study as you wait, cheers.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 07:58 AM   #7
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Buy from a top dealer and be aware that you pay for that service. It is worth it in my honest opinion. Look for an undamaged dial, especially around the edges as these easily chip. As for a case you would like it to be fat and you would want to see a small bevel. Focus on this and leave insert, bracelet etc for later.

I would focus on getting an as good as possible watch. If that have paper and you are willing to pay the premium; buy B+P. Just donīt have that as a must. Finding the best possible watch will keep you happy for many, many years.

Best of luck!
Totally Agree.

I'd also recommend if possible you compare a drsd against a standard 1665 to see if you can really justify the extra premium. I was looking for a red 1680 but a mint white 1680 came up from a top seller. 100% happy with the 1680. I've also got a DRSD which I question the cost to myself a lot
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 02:13 AM   #8
airball7
"TRF" Member

One's popped up on the Bay that has piqued my curiosity. Asking 39 grand OBO though. No idea if this is a good or bad price. It appears to be a beautiful example of the watch. Anything strike any of you experts as being out of order?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Sea-Dw...torefresh=true
Old 23 January 2017, 05:14 AM   #9
JerimiahLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 Meters 1st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
Case and dial condition are pivotal. Keeping in mind MK4 dials are notorious for edge chipping that exposes the metal underneath the paint. Bracelet and inserts are easily sourced.
x2!
JerimiahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2017, 07:02 AM   #10
airball7
"TRF" Member

Found a DRSD on the bay and it's properly beat up for me. Unfortunately I don't know enough yet about dials and other minutiae to make even an uneducated guess. Some help would be greatly appreciated - especially if you can tell me what I'm looking for and what to avoid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Double...torefresh=true

Spence
Old 24 January 2017, 07:25 AM   #11
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I think you should look closer and research before buying:

http://www.drsd.com
Old 24 January 2017, 08:04 AM   #12
airball7
"TRF" Member

I've started to do that. Thanks for the tip - I feel like I'm learning biochem all over again trying to figure it all out.
Old 24 January 2017, 10:41 AM   #13
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airball7 View Post
I've started to do that. Thanks for the tip - I feel like I'm learning biochem all over again trying to figure it all out.

Yeah specifically here:

http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/double-red-seadweller/

That info is pretty comprehensive...helps you limit down what you want (dial variant etc and insert) and talk about factors to think about when buying one. I just think you'd need to narrow things down and get educated more before making this large of a purchase.
Old 26 January 2017, 07:08 PM   #14
airball7
"TRF" Member

Okay if I want something from 1973-1977 in great condition with box and papers, how ugly is it going to get? And where might I find such an animal?
Old 27 January 2017, 12:32 AM   #15
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
By "ugly" do you mean expensive? Yes, it'll get very expensive, but so many are way overpriced, IMHO, including that one on eBay. If I'm going to pay about $40K for a full set DRSD, it better be perfect and untouched. I think you might be better off finding one without box and papers. I'd put that extra money into the condition of the watch. You should be able to keep it under $30K.

As an alternative, you could find an amazing Great White SD 1665 for about $15K, little more, little less, depending on condition. That's a much better deal. I owned this DRSD for a while and sold it, simply because I thought that little splash of red, while cool, just wasn't worth all that extra money. It's the chunkiness of the case, that great domed crystal and warm tritium patina that makes this reference so wonderful. Good luck in your search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1665-2a copy.jpg (112.2 KB, 267 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 08:19 AM   #16
airball7
"TRF" Member

Found one I like - seller is beyond reproach. Curious what the right price might be for this piece?

https://alessandrociani.com/product/...5-with-papers/
Old 31 January 2017, 08:51 AM   #17
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Looks perfect and perfect often comes at a high price. I'm sure there are cheaper around but this looks great and the seller is top notch. I'd say go for it if it is within budget.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2017, 09:43 AM   #18
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by airball7 View Post
Found one I like - seller is beyond reproach. Curious what the right price might be for this piece?

https://alessandrociani.com/product/...5-with-papers/
For that price, I'd want a DRSD with better crown guards. They look almost pointed from polishing, no? Maybe it's the lighting? Something looks a little off with them. Soooooo expensive.

As a comparison, look at the thickness of these DRSD crown guards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 6.50.53 PM.jpg (151.6 KB, 202 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 11:02 PM   #19
sjladair@hotmail.co.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
DRSD Mk4 dial.

I'm looking to purchase a DRSD. It just so happens my mate is selling his pictured. The watch is totally original and has everything except punch papers. Asking 30k gbp. What we think ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0026.jpg (64.9 KB, 136 views)
sjladair@hotmail.co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 12:25 AM   #20
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post

Best of luck!
^^^^ agree! Great advice!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote