The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 December 2012, 12:39 AM   #31
datejusting
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
It just depends on what you mean by best. What is the criteria? If you are talking about a good reliable source for the correct time, at a reasonable price, for the average person in the street, then probably none of those mentioned above would qualify. They would probably be inexpensive quartz movements made in China.
datejusting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2013, 02:30 AM   #32
Ramiks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and others
Icon14 ttt

Hello everyone,
found this thread and it's so informative, so thank you for your valuable contribution. however I didn't see the 4130 included as one of the best chrono movements, that based on my limited knowledge and readings it has vertical clutch, simplified chrono mechanism with less number of parts that gave a space to increase the size of barrel to provide 72 hr of power reserve and make it easier to service, in addition to full balance wheel bridge that improve accuracy at high frequency of 28k and shock resistance. And using ball bearing on the rotor that reduces service intervals.
Read also about calibers made by Horology houses like AP 3120 and JLC 975 which relatively new movements, and my personal conclusion, other than the finest finishing, and term of quality considering the mass production by rolex, well it's a big PLUS for Rolex...
Please keep this post alive with your readings knowledge and personal experience.

Old 14 December 2013, 03:00 AM   #33
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Doesn't the Patek Philippe 5170 have an in-house movement?

I know that they didn't start making their own movements until a few decades ago (thank you for the precision about the 1930's! ) and they still had Lemania based complicated movements in their timepieces recently (take, for instance, the 5970, the 5070 and all those recently discontinued models) but it memory serves their current collection, although it is very recent indeed, has completely homemade models. I'm just wondering if I missed a current model somewhere that still have a Lemania based movement.

Thank you for the great answers Peter, I always learn new things whilst reading your posts!

I think this part of your answer sums it up my friend! While reading the posts in this thread I know I personally couldn't decide if I considered a tough and reliable movement or a very complicated and finished one better!
All Patek now use there own in-house made movements for all there watches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiks View Post
Hello everyone,
found this thread and it's so informative, so thank you for your valuable contribution. however I didn't see the 4130 included as one of the best chrono movements, that based on my limited knowledge and readings it has vertical clutch, simplified chrono mechanism with less number of parts that gave a space to increase the size of barrel to provide 72 hr of power reserve and make it easier to service, in addition to full balance wheel bridge that improve accuracy at high frequency of 28k and shock resistance. And using ball bearing on the rotor that reduces service intervals.
Read also about calibers made by Horology houses like AP 3120 and JLC 975 which relatively new movements, and my personal conclusion, other than the finest finishing, and term of quality considering the mass production by rolex, well it's a big PLUS for Rolex...
Please keep this post alive with your readings knowledge and personal experience.

If you read post 2 I did state that the call 4130 is one of the best around today.And a lower beat movement like say 18000BPH,19800BPH, can be just as accurate as a 28800BPH movement or 36000BPH.And in the real world the shock system has changed very little in the past 30-40 years.Main systems used by the Swiss was Kif and Icabloc now many manufactures have been forced to make there own with fancy sounding names are they better IMHO its doubtful.And all Rolex watches have the same recommend service times no matter if they use a ball bearing rotor or axle shaft like in the cal 3135.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2013, 03:17 AM   #34
Andykllhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LN
Don't know a great deal, but i can offer this: I had an omega 2531.80 that i had back from service in Bienne at Omega HQ and it was +1 second P/D for about nine months (perfection) until I started cycling to work, I think maybe the bumps de-regulated it to +8 secs P/D. During this time I also had my Calibre 3000 fitted W series 14060 i rotation, which I did the same cycle with, it was +1 second P/D and maintained this the whole time, never changing regardless of how hard I rode. So from my experience my Rolex calibre 3000 was more robust than the Omega 1120, I now have a 3135 fitted 16610 and this is +4 seconds P/D and so far does this no matter what.
From my limited experience I would vote for any of the 3XXX movements, they're tanks
Andykllhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2013, 03:51 AM   #35
VADanno
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Turn-O-Graph
Another vote for the 3135, but I don't have the experience with other movements. I decided when I was shopping for my Rolex that the fewer complications, the more reliable. I loved the GMT, but went with a Turn-O-Graph. I didn't think a date wheel was going to be an issue, but was concerned about the third hand complication over my lifetime.
VADanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2013, 04:19 AM   #36
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

I have a soft place in my heart for the Omega 751. Great movement: robust, accurate, smooth, and pretty. It's not 100% hand-fabricated or expensive, but it's a great piece of engineering.
motoikkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2013, 07:24 AM   #37
Ramiks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All Patek now use there own in-house made movements for all there watches.

If you read post 2 I did state that the call 4130 is one of the best around today.And a lower beat movement like say 18000BPH,19800BPH, can be just as accurate as a 28800BPH movement or 36000BPH.And in the real world the shock system has changed very little in the past 30-40 years.Main systems used by the Swiss was Kif and Icabloc now many manufactures have been forced to make there own with fancy sounding names are they better IMHO its doubtful.And all Rolex watches have the same recommend service times no matter if they use a ball bearing rotor or axle shaft like in the cal 3135.
Much appreciated Peter
Old 14 December 2013, 07:57 AM   #38
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by delldeaton View Post
For what it's worth, here's what Gene Stone writes in The Watch (which I highly recommend as a book).
  1. Rolex 3135
  2. Audemars Piguet 3120
The ordering is his, but I don't see a source here (the list is on page 241).
Here is a great article on the 3120:

http://www.p178host.com/apgallery/3120/
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2013, 10:42 PM   #39
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
This s a great thread! I'm learning a lot!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2013, 11:51 PM   #40
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Why is AP's 3120 is so highly regarded when it is not the most accurate and it has its fair share of problems?

That said, it is a beautiful work of art.
Old 15 December 2013, 02:17 AM   #41
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Cal. 15xx are d@mn near bullet-proof in my experience.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2013, 05:26 AM   #42
Jat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570BK
I made this question one day and someone answers me something like that: what's the best movement for you? complex, reliable, accurate, fancy, durable... And the list goes one... So that it's all depends on what is best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 03:48 AM   #43
rahible
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref. 214270
Surprised a newer movement like the Ochs Und Junior hasn't been mentioned. 5 parts for a calendar moon phase. http://www.ochsundjunior.ch/watches/moon-phase/

Then again like others have said 'best is subjective'.
rahible is offline   Reply With Quote