The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 2 April 2013, 01:54 PM   #211
DC Engineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710
If you dive, I'd say Sub - otherwise, GMTIIc. It's an awesome watch. I love the PCLs. They do gain scratches pretty easily, but even still depending on the light its a functional tool watch. I wore it in a fancy restaurant with dim lights and it became a dress watch, with a bit of shine to it. Very versatile tool watch and I love the GMT function for timezones and its good for a weekend with jeans as well.
Old 2 April 2013, 02:16 PM   #212
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Engineer View Post
If you dive, I'd say Sub - otherwise, GMTIIc. It's an awesome watch. I love the PCLs. They do gain scratches pretty easily, but even still depending on the light its a functional tool watch. I wore it in a fancy restaurant with dim lights and it became a dress watch, with a bit of shine to it. Very versatile tool watch and I love the GMT function for timezones and its good for a weekend with jeans as well.
Yeap. The GMTc is an awesome tool watch, the best in my opinion....unless you are actually going to be diving beyond 100 meters.
It's everything the Sub is and more(besides depth rating).
Old 6 April 2013, 10:55 PM   #213
sadiqdaredia
"TRF" Member

Watch: movado diamond
hi guys need ur help planning to buy 2 tone rolex confuse between gmt 2 or sub 2 tone please help
Old 7 April 2013, 04:23 AM   #214
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiqdaredia View Post
hi guys need ur help planning to buy 2 tone rolex confuse between gmt 2 or sub 2 tone please help
What is it you are confused about?
Old 8 April 2013, 04:02 PM   #215
sadiqdaredia
"TRF" Member

Watch: movado diamond
should i buy sub-c two tone or GMT 2 two tone
Old 8 April 2013, 04:10 PM   #216
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Sub is way too common. Gmt-ii Classic (as i call it) is where its at.
Old 8 April 2013, 04:52 PM   #217
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiqdaredia View Post
should i buy sub-c two tone or GMT 2 two tone
I would go with the GMT and here's my reasoning. The Sub is more of a sport/diving watch so I think the TT looks a little out of place on it. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful alright just like the TT GMT, but it just doesn't jive with the function of the Sub or image I have of the watch. This is also why I think the Sub SS should have brushed center links, which the SS model has but you give up if you go TT.

The GMT on the other hand to me is more of a professional watch in function - professional aviators, world travelers, and business people who make phone calls across time zones, etc.. So I think the polished center links and TT look more appropriate for how I perceive that watch. Oh, and it's drop dead, take your breath away, stone cold gorgeous.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.
Old 9 April 2013, 11:37 PM   #218
ppscslv
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
GMT II would be my option!
Old 11 April 2013, 11:24 AM   #219
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
That is a tough choice for sure. Ultimately, it is a matter of taste.

Both are great timepieces with many admirable qualities. However, I find it odd how often people are faced with a choice between those two. While similar at a glance they are really very different watches. OK...they both have ceramic bezels and black dials but that's about it. They have different movements, clasps, markers, hands, bracelets, functions, etc...

I have owned both and still own the GMT IIC today. When I sold my Sub C it wasn't because of a comparison to the GMT. It was because I decided the Sub C wasn't for me and I bought a 16610 Sub LV instead.

Here are a couple of my pics to illustrate how different they are. Hope this helps & good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMT IIC (2).jpg (110.1 KB, 1099 views)
File Type: jpg Ceramic Sub 2.jpg (131.0 KB, 1097 views)
Old 19 April 2013, 03:20 AM   #220
Steve748
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2c & LVc
If you are put off buying the GMT2c because of the PCL's then consider having them brushed and it makes it look more like a tool watch and a bit less blingy.

I bought my first GMT2c in 2009 and and had to sell it six months ago and I had the centre links polished a couple of months before selling it. Although I had some other nice watches I missed not having it and when the chance of a trade arose with one with brushed centre links I took it.

I travel between time zones a lot now so I find the extra hand useful but it can also be used if you have someone special in another time zone.

For me it is much more of a useful watch than the Sub is and you can still dive to a 100m with it on.........

.....anyone dive more than a 100m?
Old 22 April 2013, 08:32 AM   #221
rolexkjyeo
"TRF" Member

Hi... where did you polish the centre links for the GMT2c?
Old 3 June 2013, 07:24 AM   #222
Broker Boy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
I own a 16610 and love it. I've been drooling over the Sub C, but I know that about the time I buy it, Rolex will make the case more symmetrical with the bracelet.

I think I'm going to go the GMT II C route and wait until the Sub is "fixed."
Old 3 June 2013, 05:12 PM   #223
BigRolexfan
"TRF" Member

Gmt ii - 116710blnr
Does anyone know if this modle is out?? if not when? I been calling AD in HK no body have it in stock, I love the black & blue ring, I really want one please can anyone tell me where can I get it
Old 8 August 2013, 04:50 PM   #224
brei7753
"TRF" Member

Gmt plus! :)
Old 8 August 2013, 04:53 PM   #225
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRolexfan View Post
Gmt ii - 116710blnr
Does anyone know if this modle is out?? if not when? I been calling AD in HK no body have it in stock, I love the black & blue ring, I really want one please can anyone tell me where can I get it
Yes it's out. Numerous members here have already posted wrist shots. Seems like regular customers got the first batch that arrived at ADs. Just call around, not every AD has received them yet. The two by my house have not up to this point and I can't speak about worldwide distribution, but they have shown up in the USA.
Old 8 August 2013, 05:13 PM   #226
Kulix
"TRF" Member

I prefere GMT-C.. The green gmt hand is famous..
Old 10 August 2013, 04:45 PM   #227
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Seems like a lot of differing opinions here... i think I may start a poll.... curious which wins out...

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 10 August 2013, 04:48 PM   #228
007Sub
"TRF" Member

check out the poll! https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=309397

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 12 August 2013, 11:21 AM   #229
bahamabart
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 50th
Some decisiones shouldn't be made...

The Sub I've worn for years and just picked up the Pepsi. I'd like to add 1 more - Daytona, Panda dial with leather strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub & GMT.jpg (71.4 KB, 837 views)
Old 15 August 2013, 06:20 AM   #230
Kevan
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one on my arm.
I went for the Sub, then guess what... Sunday I bought the GMT Blue/Black..... just had to, I have posted pictures on the gallery. Which is best? I just love both.
Old 15 August 2013, 06:27 AM   #231
Kevan
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one on my arm.
Old 19 August 2013, 10:56 AM   #232
bahamabart
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I went for the Sub, then guess what... Sunday I bought the GMT Blue/Black..... just had to, I have posted pictures on the gallery. Which is best? I just love both.
Love the blue/black, really exceptional. I originally set out to buy a daytona but came accross the Pepsi and couldn't pass.
Old 19 August 2013, 11:30 AM   #233
Mike_Templar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntblnk View Post
Been struggling with this one myself but coming from an older Sub Date (circa 2000 A Serial #) and trying to sort out whether to trade by Sub for the GMT II C or just buy it as a second crown. For me the GMT II C is something different and speaks to me every time I see it. That darn green hand. :) Great problem to have but can't quite make up my mind.
I did this VERY THING. I swapped my 2003ish sub for a GMT2c when it
came out and never warmed to the PCL's. Flipped that for a 16570 and wasn't quite sure about that. Flipped it for a new 214270 and now find myself
looking back thinking, why the h*ll did I ever flip the sub?? Have I entered
flippers h*ll?

I may now, out of some act of desperation, pickup a used Dweller to save
face, because running back to the Sub now would be like trying to get an ex back. What do you think?????
Old 20 August 2013, 09:45 PM   #234
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Templar View Post
I did this VERY THING. I swapped my 2003ish sub for a GMT2c when it
came out and never warmed to the PCL's. Flipped that for a 16570 and wasn't quite sure about that. Flipped it for a new 214270 and now find myself
looking back thinking, why the h*ll did I ever flip the sub?? Have I entered
flippers h*ll?

I may now, out of some act of desperation, pickup a used Dweller to save
face, because running back to the Sub now would be like trying to get an ex back. What do you think?????
Haha. I love the going back to an ex analogy. Lets face it. The sub is the perfect rolex. But the GMT a close second. I think that said however some gmts are more appealing than some subs vice versa. It really depends on what you want. Vintage or new etc. I think that if you get a dweller you won't like the dimensions because its a bit fatter than both the sub and GMT. IMO it sounds like you really want a sub back. So go for it! Don't worry that you had one before. Research subs and get one that stands out a bit more for you. Maybe a Matte dial variation like a 16800? You could always just keep what you have a save up for 2! :) that's what I'm probably going to end up doing.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 16 October 2013, 06:38 AM   #235
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 blue dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by peheca View Post
For the GMT function buy the Polar Explorer II.
For the "true Rolex" buy the Sub-C.
I own both and I'm happy.
Couldn't agree more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 22 October 2013, 04:53 AM   #236
swisswatchguy

Watch: Rolex 18K GMT II
GMT Master IItimezones.

I love both the SUB and the GMT II, but I am partial to the GMT II. I travel cross country quite a bit and I like the ability to have the two time zones. I moved up from a TT GMT Master II with a black dial to the 18K yellow gold GMT Master II with green date.

My everyday watch is a TT Datejust 36MM white face with arabic numbers and jubilee bracelet with hidden clasp. It has the roulette date feature which I think is pretty cool.

Like others have said, you can't go wrong with either. Get the one that looks the best to you on your wrist.
Old 26 October 2013, 04:45 PM   #237
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
I travel between time zones a lot now so I find the extra hand useful but it can also be used if you have someone special in another time zone.

yes that would be DavidSW on the other side..;)

having said that, my vote is for the gmtiiC. It sits very flat on the wrist for a ceramic model. The bezel are not overly shiny because most of the black spaces are filled with numbers. Great legible maxi dial (the white gold surround effect is not very obvious on these maxi dials, imo).
It tells 3 time zones with a date under a AR cyclop with a semi blingy PCL that will fade over time anyway with the scratches.

Close to a perfect watch if you ask me.
Old 31 October 2013, 05:15 AM   #238
jcamber
"TRF" Member

Couple questions for you guys from a newbie. I'm still new to the rolex world and planning on buying a GMT II for xmas. That being said, I always liked the Sub but I think the bezel on the new GMTs is just awesome.

My question is... I don't want to break the bank and therefore I'm looking at any watches that have the ceramic bezel which I think start as far back as 2008. What I don't know however is if there were there any modifications to the GMT II between 2008 to date that would make you change your decision as to how old or new the watch you're about to buy would have to be? will I be missing out on features, etc if I go with a 2008 vs. a 2013?

Also, I see you guys talk about C, LV, BLNXXX, what are all the variations of these two models since the ceramic Bezel has been out? or is there a link I can read those? I've already searched without much luck BTW...

thanks!
Old 31 October 2013, 04:18 PM   #239
enhamhale
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariners all
Get a nice vintage red
Old 9 November 2013, 04:44 AM   #240
venom43
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grail Daytona
Personally I went gmt2c and then went po lm... So for me there's no need for a sub...I know it's iconic, but the po lm can't be replaced, imo.
ROLEX:(116200)SS DATEJUST,(216570)SS EXPLORER II "POLAR",*(116518-0073)YG DAYTONA*,(116718)YG GMT MASTER IIc,(16610)SS SUBMARINER 50th LV,(16623)TT YACHT-MASTER ~BREITLING:SUPER OCEAN 44 ~JLC:NAVY SEALs ~OMEGA:PLANET OCEAN "LIQUIDMETAL LE" & (2201.51),SPEEEDMASTER PRO "METEORITE DIAL",SEAMASTER PRO GMT "GREAT WHITE" ~TUDOR:BLACK BAY(R)
Closed Thread