The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 January 2024, 12:48 PM   #1
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Genesis G90

Just curious if anyone here owns or has owned the current model of the Genesis G90? I'm going to be changing cars later this year and am really leaning towards this car.

Last weekend, I went and looked at the S580, 7 series, LS 500, and G90. Didn't drive any of them yet - only sat in them.

Between all of them, I was most impressed with the G90 - the creature comforts and bang for the buck were incredible.

Would love to hear some actual experience with the brand and model if you have any.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2024, 01:52 PM   #2
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
Just curious if anyone here owns or has owned the current model of the Genesis G90? I'm going to be changing cars later this year and am really leaning towards this car.

Last weekend, I went and looked at the S580, 7 series, LS 500, and G90. Didn't drive any of them yet - only sat in them.

Between all of them, I was most impressed with the G90 - the creature comforts and bang for the buck were incredible.

Would love to hear some actual experience with the brand and model if you have any.
My dad has a GV80, I think it’s the SUV version of the G90. It is a very nice car, definitely a lot of car for the money. The one (negative) thing that stands out to me is the operation of the nav/radio/climate screen from the center console is really difficult to use. I drive the car infrequently, but probably something you’d get used to if used regularly. I’m guessing, but probably safe bet, the systems are the same between the car and SUV.

He looked at the comparable SUV’s from MB, BMW and the like and chose the Genesis. So you liking the G90 over the other comparable cars is not out of the norm.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2024, 09:38 PM   #3
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Out of curiosity, what is the price difference of this G90 compared to the German brands you looked at? Is there a big price difference?
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:18 AM   #4
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the price difference of this G90 compared to the German brands you looked at? Is there a big price difference?
It's significant, which is the big draw to Genesis as a Hyundai sub-brand/spin-off brand.

G90 starts at $89,2. S-class starts at $114,5. For that $25,3 delta, one could argue that you aren't getting that much more car. If you consider an E-class, that makes the argument worse, as the E-class starts under the G90, but offers similar tech (you'll get a less powerful drivetrain in the $60s, though).

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 08:10 AM   #5
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
I've been eyeing the GV80, looks great from the outside. I haven't gone at test drove one yet, because once I got the itch, it has to be scratched.

Spoken to quite a few Genesis owners and none have any regrets of their choice of car.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 08:56 AM   #6
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Tip View Post
I've been eyeing the GV80, looks great from the outside. I haven't gone at test drove one yet, because once I got the itch, it has to be scratched.

Spoken to quite a few Genesis owners and none have any regrets of their choice of car.

You’re right, the GV80 always makes me look twice….on the subject of owners and their choices, I don’t think any of them would admit even if it is not what they thought. When saving such large sums compared to the high end luxury competitors, they better be happy with that large money they just plopped down for a Hyundai product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 10:18 AM   #7
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I would say Genius has a lot of value on the surface. However, the quality under the hood isn't the best. This is more so if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 11:55 AM   #8
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
I would say Genius has a lot of value on the surface. However, the quality under the hood isn't the best. This is more so if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.
Are any of the competitors a long term proposition? Other than Lexus, most don’t have a reputation as long time keepers.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 11:47 PM   #9
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not a fan of Hyundai or the Genius. Lexus, certified pre-owned is the way for me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 03:04 AM   #10
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Never drove or owned one but have ridden in one as passenger. They’re nice. However based on friends experience with his premium Genesis/Hyundai service department… will never consider one
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2024, 05:32 AM   #11
wesdaniel

Thanks for all the feedback! A few thoughts / questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
To someone's point above, of the competitors, really, only the Lexus is known for having very long-term reliability. I've also got to believe that the overall general service and maintenance costs for the Genesis will be substantially less than for the German peers. I think that, with the Genesis warranty of 5-years, 60K miles (I only average about 6K - 8K miles per year), I can anticipate keeping it relatively problem / expense free for about six years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Not a fan of Hyundai or the Genius. Lexus, certified pre-owned is the way for me.
I have a love/love/hate relationship with Lexus. I love the fact that everything in them works exactly like it's supposed to every single time you turn it on. I love that you can drive them forever and they never fall apart. I hate that, for the most part, they're pretty boring. I've had four Lexus now (ES350, GS300, ES350, RX350) and have experienced the same thing with all of them. Incredibly reliable but, honestly, no excitement in them for me. I haven't driven the LS yet, so maybe that will change. But, they just don't make my heart skip a beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Never drove or owned one but have ridden in one as passenger. They’re nice. However based on friends experience with his premium Genesis/Hyundai service department… will never consider one
Can you elaborate? I'd be interested to hear. When I looked at Genesis a few years ago, I shied away because they were sold out of the regular Hyundai lot and the experience wasn't a premium experience. If I'm going to shell out the bucks they charge, I want a premium experience. Locally, Genesis now has their own dealership, so I presume the experience has changed. But, would love to hear details.
Old 18 January 2024, 11:21 AM   #12
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Friend had a newer G70 that had electrical issues where half his dashboard was out along with the infotainment screen. Took the service department over a month to source parts for repair. Then sometime last year he was getting random fuel cuts during acceleration at normal driving speeds. No longer under warranty so he had to pay out of pocket and it took another month to fix. However, I assume the lengthy service times is an issue unique to the dealership and your mileage may very well vary.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 12:43 AM   #13
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
I have a love/love/hate relationship with Lexus. I love the fact that everything in them works exactly like it's supposed to every single time you turn it on. I love that you can drive them forever and they never fall apart. I hate that, for the most part, they're pretty boring.
I suspect that if you found the Lexus boring, the Kia/Genesis will put you to sleep.

Anecdotally some guys on the BMW forum complain about the service on their Genesis; I proposed that it's not so much that the service is worse than (for example) domestic cars, but that they've been spoiled by BMW for so long that they think it's the norm.

You may also want to check out Jason Cammisa's review video here. Not only is he an excellent automotive journalist, his reviews are quite entertaining.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 05:07 AM   #14
swils8610

You may want to consider resale value. They will not hold the value of the other brands you mentioned. I agree with the fact that Lexus is a bit boring. Have you considered and F Sport from Lexus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 06:09 AM   #15
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
We've had only Lexus since 1990. Wouldn't have anything else. They are great cars and hold their value well. I have friends who have BMWs and they have had nothing but trouble with them. I don't know anyone who has a Genesis so I can't give you an opinion.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 07:06 AM   #16
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I looked at them. Went with a CPO Range Rover Sport instead. Very happy.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 02:38 PM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
My wife almost went for the GV80 but to be honest the x5 was cheaper and we liked it better. Mainly because we got a solid discount and stacked it with the 7500 ev credit at the time.
Old 22 January 2024, 01:06 PM   #18
wesdaniel

So, I've test driven five cars so far. I've still got a few to go. Here are my impressions (in order from favorite to least):

BMW 740i: The tech in the 2024 model is insane and the ride was much more... luxurious than I expected. I was suprised that I liked it as much as I did as I've never been a big fan of BMW before.

Genesis G90: This was a close second to the 740. Tech was awesome, ride quality was amazing. I didn't like the active steering - it just felt weird. But, other than that, I really have nothing to complain about. It's a hell of a car!

S500: The presentation was amazing. It FEELS like it costs every penny that it does. The suspension was great as was the acceleration. The only negative I can say about it is that the seats really weren't all that comfortable and, despite how nice it felt, it didn't feel like the tech was at the same level.

LS500: The drive is amazing, the engine was almost silent, the acceleration was great. But, the tech is clearly really far in the past. There's nothing cutting edge about it and, unfortunately, it paled in comparison to the others.

Porsche Panamera: Hated it. The acceleration and handling were great. The engine / road noise were not what I would have expected and the dealership/customer experience were completely underwhelming. The tech was NOT intuitive at all (I couldn't figure out how to do anything and, despite having an appointment, they didn't ride along with me on the drive to show me as they were too busy). Some simple things were completely missing.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to go look at the A8, the XF, and, just for the hell of it, a Ghibli.

If I had to make a decision today (glad that I don't), I would probably buy the G90. But, it would be a tough choice between that and the BMW.

More to come.
Old 23 January 2024, 03:17 AM   #19
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Excellent breakdown, Wes. I wouldn't hold your breath for the Jaguar XF to wow you. Have ridden in an F-Type S & while the speed/driving dynamics were great, the interior left a lot to be desired in terms of quality & refinement. The XJ (discontinued in '19) would've been more on-par with what you're going after, but I predict the XF will feel much smaller inside. It's only about the size of the Lexus ES (maybe discontinued GS). Curious what your opinions about the A8 are!

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote