The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2014, 12:19 AM   #1
wdin
"TRF" Member

Serena Williams..

spotted wearing her watch about 3h ago for her WTA Finals clash with Eugenie Bouchard.
She wore it throughout the entire match (lasted 57min).

I'm no AP expert, but is it the ROO? Is she the official ambassador for AP now?

Whatever it is, she certainly nailed the "is it safe to wear your AP for a tennis match?" question..

oh, you could see the watch here.. http://www.wtafinals.com/article/wil...g-ways/4240826
wdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Looked like an AP to me

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 04:48 PM   #3
wdin
"TRF" Member

It survived the match. That's the most important bit for us all..

I can't seem to locate her as an ambassador on AP site.. guess she's not one yet..?
Old 24 October 2014, 06:48 PM   #4
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdin View Post
It survived the match. That's the most important bit for us all..

I can't seem to locate her as an ambassador on AP site.. guess she's not one yet..?
Can't someone wear a watch without being paid to do so
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 06:54 PM   #5
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
haha! can!!

it looked good on her, really!!
Old 24 October 2014, 07:19 PM   #6
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
It sure is an AP, and looks great. The watch definitely stands up to a beating. I wonder how the movement fairs though. Don't think a Rolex would stay on the wrist under the types of loads placed on the spring bars, in this sense the AP seems to have a better design.
Nadal wears his RM right handed and he's a righty so a great testament to the watch's design.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 10:06 PM   #7
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
It sure is an AP, and looks great. The watch definitely stands up to a beating. I wonder how the movement fairs though. Don't think a Rolex would stay on the wrist under the types of loads placed on the spring bars, in this sense the AP seems to have a better design.
Nadal wears his RM right handed and he's a righty so a great testament to the watch's design.
Caroline Wozniacki always removes her Rolex on court and put them back on after the game. If my guess is right, she wears a Sky-Dweller 326139. It's hard to see the case or dial or face of it. I caught the black leather of the watch most of the time and the clasp is very obvious.

Nadal does wear his RM on the right. But he's a left-handed player on court.. see his vid here http://www.atpworldtour.com/
So both these players wear their timepieces on court though it's not the same hand as the ones they use to hold their rackets (if my statement makes any sense).
Old 25 October 2014, 12:24 AM   #8
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Caroline Wozniacki always removes her Rolex on court and put them back on after the game. If my guess is right, she wears a Sky-Dweller 326139. It's hard to see the case or dial or face of it. I caught the black leather of the watch most of the time and the clasp is very obvious.

Nadal does wear his RM on the right. But he's a left-handed player on court.. see his vid here http://www.atpworldtour.com/
So both these players wear their timepieces on court though it's not the same hand as the ones they use to hold their rackets (if my statement makes any sense).
Thanx for the correction on Nadal. I understand your point, they wear on their non dominant hand. The watches still sustain a lot of gforces from these two powerful players.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 08:56 AM   #9
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanx for the correction on Nadal. I understand your point, they wear on their non dominant hand. The watches still sustain a lot of gforces from these two powerful players.
That's what makes me crave for the Nadal RM (1st) and now the AP Roo...

Have a good weekend, Rashid!
Old 25 October 2014, 10:47 AM   #10
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Yeah, she wears a ROO. Here's an AP (news agency, not watch company ;) ) photo by Charles Krupa I posted in another recent thread on this subject:
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 11:32 AM   #11
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Most of the RM sports ambassadors wear their RMs in action - Bubba Watson and a couple of lady golfers, Sebastien Loeb, Felipe Massa, Roman Grosjean Pablo MacDonough etc.. They are pretty resilient!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 09:57 PM   #12
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Yeah, she wears a ROO. Here's an AP (news agency, not watch company ;) ) photo by Charles Krupa I posted in another recent thread on this subject:
woops!! I didn't mean to claim to be the 1st to post on her... I didn't know there was a thread regarding it already.. I was watching the WTA finals and spotted her watch. Thought I wanna get the experts to confirm my findings.. Lovely ROO, certainly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Most of the RM sports ambassadors wear their RMs in action - Bubba Watson and a couple of lady golfers, Sebastien Loeb, Felipe Massa, Roman Grosjean Pablo MacDonough etc.. They are pretty resilient!
If it survives Nadals', it's good enough for me!!
Old 25 October 2014, 10:14 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
And it still sees plenty of two handed, back hand action
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 11:36 PM   #14
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
woops!! I didn't mean to claim to be the 1st to post on her... I didn't know there was a thread regarding it already.. I was watching the WTA finals and spotted her watch. Thought I wanna get the experts to confirm my findings..
? That's a lot of between-the-lines reading for my simply mentioning in passing that I'd posted the pic in another thread, and I certainly wasn't implying any such thing. What I *was* doing was mentioning it existed, in case you were interested in reading it.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 26 October 2014, 09:05 AM   #15
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
And it still sees plenty of two handed, back hand action

Quote:
? That's a lot of between-the-lines reading for my simply mentioning in passing that I'd posted the pic in another thread, and I certainly wasn't implying any such thing. What I *was* doing was mentioning it existed, in case you were interested in reading it.
Being new here, I have to respect the seniors. So I try to avoid unnecessary misunderstanding, thus the declaration.
It'll be lovely to have a link to that thread of yours so I could read it. Thanks!!
Old 26 October 2014, 12:01 PM   #16
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Being new here, I have to respect the seniors. So I try to avoid unnecessary misunderstanding, thus the declaration.
It'll be lovely to have a link to that thread of yours so I could read it. Thanks!!
Here you go, enjoy!
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=371313
Old 26 October 2014, 12:18 PM   #17
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks mate!

Lol.. they argued about her biceps... it's real. very real. videos don't lie
Old 28 October 2014, 04:07 AM   #18
HRC-E.B.
"TRF" Member

It doesn't matter to these players whether the movement survives the abuse of playing professional tennis of not. They are wealthy enough to not care, and these watches are nothing more than fashion accessories to them. I doubt they even adjust the time on them...

And btw, even for Nadal, who wears his RM on the non-dominant arm, since they all hit two-handed backhands, the shock in the right hand (for Nadal) or the left (for Serena or Wozniacki) must be tremendous when hitting backhands. Which only reinforces my point that they most probably don't care one bit.
HRC-E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 12:46 PM   #19
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC-E.B. View Post
It doesn't matter to these players whether the movement survives the abuse of playing professional tennis of not. They are wealthy enough to not care, and these watches are nothing more than fashion accessories to them. I doubt they even adjust the time on them...

And btw, even for Nadal, who wears his RM on the non-dominant arm, since they all hit two-handed backhands, the shock in the right hand (for Nadal) or the left (for Serena or Wozniacki) must be tremendous when hitting backhands. Which only reinforces my point that they most probably don't care one bit.
I don't dare make any claims about the 1st paragraph.
Totally agree with the 2nd paragraph about the tremendous amount of shock experienced by the watches...

And oh, Wozniacki took off her rolex before the match and don it back only after the game has concluded.
Old 28 October 2014, 01:08 PM   #20
francis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Yeah but why?
francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 02:46 PM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It is my guess that wozniacki removes her rolex because it is not comfortable for her during the match. Just like I often remove my sub when playing golf, even though I am far from worried about its durability.

I completely agree that bubba, rafa, and RM ambassadors could care less about the effects of the stress on their watches. They did not pay a dime for them. It is fortunat that the watches are so comfortable and light, credit to RM

What I cannot explain is why serena would want to wear a diver while playing...a true testament to her strength imho
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 03:12 PM   #22
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
It is my guess that wozniacki removes her rolex because it is not comfortable for her during the match. Just like I often remove my sub when playing golf, even though I am far from worried about its durability.

I completely agree that bubba, rafa, and RM ambassadors could care less about the effects of the stress on their watches. They did not pay a dime for them. It is fortunat that the watches are so comfortable and light, credit to RM

What I cannot explain is why serena would want to wear a diver while playing...a true testament to her strength imho

Not sure if rafa "could not care less".. I've read somewhere (I can't seem to retrieve the article now though) that rafa called Richard and said that he'd pay for the watch. The one that was stolen in france after his French Open victory a few years ago.

I agree with you on crediting RM and Serena.. excellent excellent..
Old 1 November 2014, 10:13 AM   #23
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Guess she really liked the design/looks of it? And she probably has read enough on here and I recalled the mantra that goes on something like this... "Buy what you like and not care about what others think of it"

There are some who owns and wears a Submariner and the only moisture it gets is from perspiration and occasional rain or tap water.. Clearly the look is a huge pull factor towards ownership but of course there are other factors as well.. such as brand history, quality etc etc..
Old 1 November 2014, 03:25 PM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Guess she really liked the design/looks of it? And she probably has read enough on here and I recalled the mantra that goes on something like this... "Buy what you like and not care about what others think of it"

There are some who owns and wears a Submariner and the only moisture it gets is from perspiration and occasional rain or tap water.. Clearly the look is a huge pull factor towards ownership but of course there are other factors as well.. such as brand history, quality etc etc..
I only meant due to weight. I know I wouldn't really want to wear it playing golf or tennis. Then again, Serena is much stronger than me based on that picture lol what's that an 8 inch wrist?
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2014, 05:44 PM   #25
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I only meant due to weight. I know I wouldn't really want to wear it playing golf or tennis. Then again, Serena is much stronger than me based on that picture lol what's that an 8 inch wrist?
Is the AP diver that heavy? It's not as heavy as the Submariner, right?
In any case, Serena is much stronger and more powerful than most of us here in this forum (and im included)..
Old 1 November 2014, 05:48 PM   #26
osamu
"TRF" Member

I want to see Lebron wearing his AP while playing. That would be awesome.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2014, 07:05 PM   #27
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osamu View Post
I want to see Lebron wearing his AP while playing. That would be awesome.
I have to say that I'm with you..