The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 13 June 2023, 03:57 AM   #271
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanose82 View Post
I can't believe how someone is smart enough to obtain such a high end watch only to lose it in a parking lot transaction.
I really do feel for our friends here who were robbed but the whole situation is difficult to fathom, for me. I would understand this kind of face to face transaction risk on something like a steel Speedy or Sub… but a platinum DD and gold Nautilus?!
Old 13 June 2023, 05:14 AM   #272
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
I can't believe how someone is smart enough to obtain such a high end watch only to lose it in a parking lot transaction.
To be fair to the victms..

This perp never hesitates to provide phone numbers, ID's, social media profiles etc..

He states that he has to have the watch authenticated by a jeweler to protect his purchase. Inside the jewelers he snatches the watch (either just grabs it or tries it on) and bolts through the unlocked door to his vehicle. It's not a parking lot transaction. The seller is lead to believe that after the watch has been authenticated, they will proceed to a bank to finalize the deal.

It's easy to find naiveté after the fact, but who knows how credible this scumbag presented himself leading up to the crime. I think it's unfair to tacitly question the intelligence of a seller. More than likely, the same propensity to put trust in others and high integrity that made made them victims were contributing factors to their financial success.
Old 13 June 2023, 06:07 AM   #273
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Being that he has used the forum there is a good chance he's reading this thread.
Old 13 June 2023, 06:12 AM   #274
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
To be fair to the victms..

This perp never hesitates to provide phone numbers, ID's, social media profiles etc..

He states that he has to have the watch authenticated by a jeweler to protect his purchase. Inside the jewelers he snatches the watch (either just grabs it or tries it on) and bolts through the unlocked door to his vehicle. It's not a parking lot transaction. The seller is lead to believe that after the watch has been authenticated, they will proceed to a bank to finalize the deal.

It's easy to find naiveté after the fact, but who knows how credible this scumbag presented himself leading up to the crime. I think it's unfair to tacitly question the intelligence of a seller. More than likely, the same propensity to put trust in others and high integrity that made made them victims were contributing factors to their financial success.
Why not just sell through chrono24?

The seller has to treat this like a drug deal, you pick the place and the time. You set the stage and you do it in a way that the watch cannot leave your sight quickly. We are all aware of high end watch robberies the past few years so you have to be on the defensive, maybe show up armed with someone else?

The second one was definitely a parking lot transaction, it all took place outside like some kind of dimebag sale.
Old 13 June 2023, 06:14 AM   #275
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
I really do feel for our friends here who were robbed but the whole situation is difficult to fathom, for me. I would understand this kind of face to face transaction risk on something like a steel Speedy or Sub… but a platinum DD and gold Nautilus?!
Bro, I wouldn't do that for a speedy or sub either.
Old 13 June 2023, 07:16 AM   #276
figb
"TRF" Member

Wow, this is really heartbreaking. Sorry about that.
Old 13 June 2023, 07:37 AM   #277
twinfo
Banned

Watch: DateJust 1126300
Sorry to hear about this
Old 13 June 2023, 07:58 AM   #278
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Terrible news, so sorry to all who are/were victimized. And to those that are suggesting the victims should have known better or done otherwise I think you are missing the big picture here. This community has a lot of trust and respect and there are bad people looking to take advantage of that environment. Most of us wouldn't in a million years consider stealing or screwing over another person so it doesn't necessarily cross our minds that there are people in this world who do bad things to others and that we are at risk at all times. Be on guard, but don't lose faith in each other there are mostly good people out there. Treat each other with kindness and respect.
Old 13 June 2023, 07:58 AM   #279
places
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
This is so serious hopefully he gets caught
Old 13 June 2023, 08:19 AM   #280
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Saw a video of the thief. Looks exactly like Kieth Thurman :)

Video: https://ring.com/share/81af5466-f835...d-b6a829e98257

Lowlife hope karma catches up and you get caught.
Old 13 June 2023, 09:42 AM   #281
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
So, no serial number on OP's stolen watch in spite of being asked several times? He talked over several requests. Maybe he gave it and I missed it. If he did not, I suspect this thread was just for conversation. And conversation he got.
Old 13 June 2023, 10:34 PM   #282
gerry100
"TRF" Member

at least he presented a scenario that seemed it might work if real.

No TRF reader should be a victim of the same "play" in the future.

A public service
Old 14 June 2023, 12:37 AM   #283
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
Sorry to hear OP’s loss, from the news article and conversations here, it seems he doesn’t want his identity to be leaked out and maybe that’s why he’s not giving up the serial number? Although unless someone is working at Rolex I doubt someone can find owner information with a serial number, so it is puzzling why he wouldn’t want to share if unless he’s a flipper who doesn’t want to get outed by Rolex.

On another note, I’ve heard way too many Craigslist horror stories (people getting maced/beaten and robbed of their phones, etc.) that if I was to sell one of my watches I would just use Chrono24. Getting a picture of their license or getting their phone number means nothing nowadays; even 15 year old kids can get their hands on high quality fake licenses to buy booze with and there are apps to give you temporary fake phone numbers. Face to face transaction just opens you up to more risk nowadays I feel.
Old 14 June 2023, 01:32 AM   #284
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Extrapolation to victim actually being a flipper is a quantum leap at best. This flipper as bogeyman is clearly a burr in your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlddrrr View Post
Sorry to hear OP’s loss, from the news article and conversations here, it seems he doesn’t want his identity to be leaked out and maybe that’s why he’s not giving up the serial number? Although unless someone is working at Rolex I doubt someone can find owner information with a serial number, so it is puzzling why he wouldn’t want to share if unless he’s a flipper who doesn’t want to get outed by Rolex.

On another note, I’ve heard way too many Craigslist horror stories (people getting maced/beaten and robbed of their phones, etc.) that if I was to sell one of my watches I would just use Chrono24. Getting a picture of their license or getting their phone number means nothing nowadays; even 15 year old kids can get their hands on high quality fake licenses to buy booze with and there are apps to give you temporary fake phone numbers. Face to face transaction just opens you up to more risk nowadays I feel.
Old 14 June 2023, 07:08 AM   #285
Bulldozer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can't believe someone's smart enough to read and type, but isn't smart enough to not victim-blame.
Old 14 June 2023, 08:15 AM   #286
Uned
"TRF" Member

This is very horrible.
Old 14 June 2023, 12:40 PM   #287
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Thread is turning dark and nasty….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 June 2023, 01:13 PM   #288
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Thread is turning dark and nasty….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. Can’t believe someone would betray another’s trust and steal something so valuable. Horrible. A dark time.
Old 15 June 2023, 11:18 PM   #289
Jacubi
Banned

Only meet face to face if you are carrying.
Closed Thread

Tags
228206 , california , robbery , rolex , theft