The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 December 2016, 07:33 AM   #1
LBC4225
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Ceramic
Overwinding a

Merry Christmas!
My wife and son surprised me this morning with my first Rolex...
A brand new 116500 Daytona SS.... I understand the normal protocol in setting this watch up, but I was wondering is it possible to overwind this watch?
LBC4225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 07:47 AM   #2
PACEVIPER
"TRF" Member

No.... but 40 turns of the winding crown clockwise is all that's necessary....Jimmy
PACEVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 07:47 AM   #3
MonBK
Banned

No you can't overwind it.

It's a Daytona so give it approx. 50 turns and it should be fully wound.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 08:25 AM   #4
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
What they said, congrats! And post pics. We're all in need of we wrist shot!

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 11:50 AM   #5
LBC4225
"TRF" Member

Pics

Pics as requested of my Christmas gift!
Merry christmas everyone!
🎁 🎁 🎁

IMG_4678.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg
Old 26 December 2016, 11:56 AM   #6
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACEVIPER View Post
No.... but 40 turns of the winding crown clockwise is all that's necessary....Jimmy
Actually I believe it takes a bit more to fully wind a Daytona due to it's longer power reserve.
Old 26 December 2016, 12:26 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Very, very nice and as you probably will never take that one off your wrist I'd just give it half a dozen turns if the crown and strap it on.
That's what automatic movements are for....

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC4225 View Post
Merry Christmas!
My wife and son surprised me this morning with my first Rolex...
A brand new 116500 Daytona SS.... I understand the normal protocol in setting this watch up, but I was wondering is it possible to overwind this watch?

That's a heck of a surprise!

"Can it over-wind itself?"

Here's why it can't:

Every Rolex automatic wind watch ever made has a slip clutch built into the mainspring winding mechanism, as has just about every automatic wind watch. Think about it. A very active person could easily have enough wrist movement to wind the mainspring to full tension and then some. So what happens then? Continued movement overwinds the watch and breaks the mainspring? Nope, the mainspring is not physically attached to the inside of the barrel, rather it rides in indents in the barrel's inner diameter so it can slip once fully wound.

On June 16, 1863, Adrien Philippe (of Patek Philippe) is credited with Patent No.58941, for the "slipping mainspring". This particular invention allowed the simultaneous winding of two or more mainspring barrels, certainly a different invention with a different purpose. However, the technology of his invention is said to be the foundation for the development of self-winding wristwatches.

The Slipping Spring

This "slipping" spring allows the mainspring to slide or slip a few degrees relative to the inside of the barrel while still staying fully wound. The end of the slipping spring moves from one groove to another on the inside the barrel, stopping each time, and thus keeping the spring under constant tension.

This attachment of spring steel is sometimes referred to as a bridle. This bridle slips along the barrel wall before excess pressure is passed to the going train. The bridle must also grip the barrel wall sufficiently to not slip down either too rapidly, or too slowly, a defect known as “mainspring creep” which results in a shortened reserve power time.

The slipping bridle on the outer end of the mainspring is illustrated here. (1). the bridle (in the barrel), (2) maintains outward pressure on the outermost coil of the mainspring (3). At less than full wind, the bridle pressure causes the outer tip of the spring to catch in a notch in the barrel wall (4) and maintain its position. As the mainspring reaches full wind, the outer end of the spring slips out of the notch and releases tension by slipping across the smooth section of the barrel wall (5) until it catches in the next notch."

The images below are a concept of how it works and a Rolex caliber 3135 mainspring and barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex_mainspring & barrel.jpg (38.5 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex mainspring and barrel.jpg (36.3 KB, 389 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2016, 01:55 AM   #9
LBC4225
"TRF" Member

Alcan,
Thank you so much for that terrific explanation.
Now it makes sense. I certainly appreciate you taking the time for your response!
Wishing you the best!
Old 27 December 2016, 11:27 AM   #10
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC4225 View Post
Pics as requested of my Christmas gift!
Merry christmas everyone!
🎁 🎁 🎁

Attachment 810410

Attachment 810411
Phenomenal watch! You're going to love it

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 02:41 PM   #11
PACEVIPER
"TRF" Member

Very very nice.
PACEVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 11:54 AM   #12
Afghanvet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs, SD4K
Nope, never heard of overwinding a rolex before...

Afghanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 11:58 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
That's a heck of a surprise!

"Can it over-wind itself?"

Here's why it can't:

Every Rolex automatic wind watch ever made has a slip clutch built into the mainspring winding mechanism, as has just about every automatic wind watch. Think about it. A very active person could easily have enough wrist movement to wind the mainspring to full tension and then some. So what happens then? Continued movement overwinds the watch and breaks the mainspring? Nope, the mainspring is not physically attached to the inside of the barrel, rather it rides in indents in the barrel's inner diameter so it can slip once fully wound.

On June 16, 1863, Adrien Philippe (of Patek Philippe) is credited with Patent No.58941, for the "slipping mainspring". This particular invention allowed the simultaneous winding of two or more mainspring barrels, certainly a different invention with a different purpose. However, the technology of his invention is said to be the foundation for the development of self-winding wristwatches.

The Slipping Spring

This "slipping" spring allows the mainspring to slide or slip a few degrees relative to the inside of the barrel while still staying fully wound. The end of the slipping spring moves from one groove to another on the inside the barrel, stopping each time, and thus keeping the spring under constant tension.

This attachment of spring steel is sometimes referred to as a bridle. This bridle slips along the barrel wall before excess pressure is passed to the going train. The bridle must also grip the barrel wall sufficiently to not slip down either too rapidly, or too slowly, a defect known as “mainspring creep” which results in a shortened reserve power time.

The slipping bridle on the outer end of the mainspring is illustrated here. (1). the bridle (in the barrel), (2) maintains outward pressure on the outermost coil of the mainspring (3). At less than full wind, the bridle pressure causes the outer tip of the spring to catch in a notch in the barrel wall (4) and maintain its position. As the mainspring reaches full wind, the outer end of the spring slips out of the notch and releases tension by slipping across the smooth section of the barrel wall (5) until it catches in the next notch."

The images below are a concept of how it works and a Rolex caliber 3135 mainspring and barrel.
great response and explanation.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 02:25 AM   #14
Got Rolex?
"TRF" Member

Awesome Christmas gift! Congrats
Got Rolex? is offline   Reply With Quote