The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Finance your Rolex or save up/buy with cash?
Finance 51 8.66%
Save up / pay with cash 538 91.34%
Voters: 589. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 January 2017, 04:40 PM   #181
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5253Reynolds View Post
Again this is not true at all. I see you're in Tampa which really isn't part of the US, but if this is you're view of the US I would suggest hiring a better attorney.
Kinda Nasty
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 05:13 PM   #182
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5253Reynolds View Post
Again this is not true at all. I see you're in Tampa which really isn't part of the US.
Says the overstuffed sanctuary city. That's rich. Still upset over the election I see.
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 05:55 PM   #183
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

IBTL

Nasty

Old 16 January 2017, 11:26 PM   #184
nick h
Banned

Watch: rolex 16200/116231
Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Rather than trying to mock me, try and find someone in the UK who has been able to secure a discount on a SS Submariner C from an AD.

Why, would an AD offer a discount on a product where waiting lists are in abundance and a whole list of people are willing to pay RRP, or more?!

All you're doing here is demonstrating that you're an absolute amateur, you know nothing about supply and demand.

Perhaps you should hang around the forum some more - you might also learn something about what AD infantry is negotiable.

Ta-ta.
absolute amateur in what? - please tell us what you really think

an AD values customers and will offer discount even on hard to obtain watches- and yes, it is small but it shows appreciation

see an earlier post i made in getting nearly 14% discount - because i am a valued customer who will always come back - not like the city traders who have had their watches and Porsche repossessed

sometimes i'm embarrassed to be Brit with the likes of you on the forum

guys, we are not all like this D Head
nick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 11:37 PM   #185
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1 View Post
Can you get financing for a watch?
you know what is crazy, if you are friends with a jeweler some will give it to you without anything other than an iou and some cash down.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 01:47 AM   #186
Corsair66
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Never finance toys or depreciating assets of any kind. If you can't pay cash for something, you can't afford it.

That said, it's occasionally useful to avail oneself of 0% interest deals, as that's just free money that can be used to profit elsewhere. Again, though, it's only a smart deal if you've already got the cash.
Corsair66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 02:14 AM   #187
R G
Banned

At what expense... Rolex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick h View Post
absolute amateur in what? - please tell us what you really think

an AD values customers and will offer discount even on hard to obtain watches- and yes, it is small but it shows appreciation

see an earlier post i made in getting nearly 14% discount - because i am a valued customer who will always come back - not like the city traders who have had their watches and Porsche repossessed

sometimes i'm embarrassed to be Brit with the likes of you on the forum

guys, we are not all like this D Head

Haha I just don't know where to go with this.

Despite you berating me here, I won't call out that I disbelieve you got a discount. Perhaps you did and I totally appreciate why, if you're a returning customer.

I have to say, though, what makes you think I want to search out previous posts of yours?! Bizarre. I'll take your word for it - something you didn't do with me, on your original post.

SS Subs were (and still are) very hard to come by when I bought mine so I had to go on a wait list from an AD further out from where I live whom I had no relationship with - TWO REASONS I WASN'T GIVEN DISCOUNT!!

Now, it sounds like you hate anyone who's done alright for themselves, hence knocking traders in the city. You just sound a little bitter and just generally angry, but I guess it's hard to convey tone on written form, so I'll accept that.

As far as feeling embarrassed to be a Brit based on some comms you and I have had on a forum and offering up others an apology on my behalf?!? Get a grip?! If that's all it takes to embarrass you, you truly are one flakey individual.

Saying all of this, I did take a peek at your profile the other day and noticed you have been on TRF for a few years, although with very few posts. I think I would also keep my contributions on this forum to a minimum if i was only capable of coming out with the cack you've offered up here.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 02:33 AM   #188
isuolympic
"TRF" Member

Mayors offered 40 months 0% just before Christmas. This was good even on sports watches.
isuolympic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 03:08 AM   #189
Ragna
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain49king View Post
I financed one time under abnormal circumstances. I had my AD bring in a Panerai 422 for me and the wife and I went to the boutique to pick up the watch with appropriate funds in hand. While finishing up the purchase my sales associate remembered I had requested a phone call anytime a 116520 came in that was available for purchase and it just so happened they had one show up that day. I was in a tough spot because I wanted the watch but the purchase was not planned so I would need to pass on the 422 that I felt obligated to or pull money out of savings which I will not do to buy luxury items. Then they offered no strings attached 0% financing for 18 months so I purchased the watch and paid it off in 6 months. In my mind I justified the decision because it was 0% and I purchase my watches by setting aside money every month anyway so I figured why not. I would say if you could not afford the purchase without the financing (meaning cash) then don't do it. If you finance to keep out of savings or investments and there is 0% then maybe.
good point.
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 03:34 AM   #190
duke8795
"TRF" Member

First post. I had to leave the cash, but I got to keep the watch...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0071.jpg (164.9 KB, 111 views)
duke8795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 03:57 AM   #191
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
For those that believe paying 0% is good because they can have their money working for them...

How much are you really making on 10k?

And what if the market tanks?

Just seems, to me, cleaner simply to pay outright.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 04:13 AM   #192
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
For those that believe paying 0% is good because they can have their money working for them...

How much are you really making on 10k?

And what if the market tanks?

Just seems, to me, cleaner simply to pay outright.
I work in an industry that uses financing all the time in order to bring product to those who cannot afford the total investment in the beginning. This thread makes me wonder why so many people are against financing for luxury timepieces. Not everybody is fortunate enough like some of us to be able to plop down the cash to buy one of these things. I almost wonder if some are offended that financing allows so many other people to join us in owning a Rolex. After reading this entire thread that seems to make the most sense to me. YMMV.

Also I would be willing to bet that the majority of authorized Rolex dealers absolutely live off the financing option.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 04:18 AM   #193
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:

Despite you berating me here, I won't call out that I disbelieve you got a discount. Perhaps you did and I totally appreciate why, if you're a returning customer.

I have to say, though, what makes you think I want to search out previous posts of yours?! Bizarre. I'll take your word for it - something you didn't do with me, on your original post.

SS Subs were (and still are) very hard to come by when I bought mine so I had to go on a wait list from an AD further out from where I live whom I had no relationship with - TWO REASONS I WASN'T GIVEN DISCOUNT!!

Now, it sounds like you hate anyone who's done alright for themselves, hence knocking traders in the city. You just sound a little bitter and just generally angry, but I guess it's hard to convey tone on written form, so I'll accept that.

As far as feeling embarrassed to be a Brit based on some comms you and I have had on a forum and offering up others an apology on my behalf?!? Get a grip?! If that's all it takes to embarrass you, you truly are one flakey individual.

Saying all of this, I did take a peek at your profile the other day and noticed you have been on TRF for a few years, although with very few posts. I think I would also keep my contributions on this forum to a minimum if i was only capable of coming out with the cack you've offered up here.
You can find a brand new SS Sub date/no-date in the display cases of just about any AD in the US. Rolex limited supply to the UK as a result of the depreciation of the pound and I think that is why you're seeing such a shortage.

I got 10% off a SS Sub in 2013 (I am an existing customer) with minimal negotiation, I wouldn't completely discount getting 14% but it does seem outside the norm.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 04:25 AM   #194
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I save up but if they do offer me a 0% interest financing program ill take it just because theres nothing to loose. Pay over time for free is smarter than putting it all of front. But i wouldn't do it if they wanted interest.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 04:56 AM   #195
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I work in an industry that uses financing all the time in order to bring product to those who cannot afford the total investment in the beginning. This thread makes me wonder why so many people are against financing for luxury timepieces. Not everybody is fortunate enough like some of us to be able to plop down the cash to buy one of these things. I almost wonder if some are offended that financing allows so many other people to join us in owning a Rolex. After reading this entire thread that seems to make the most sense to me. YMMV.

Also I would be willing to bet that the majority of authorized Rolex dealers absolutely live off the financing option.
Offended huh? That's a new twist I've not heard before.

For me it's simple...I've gotten in trouble with credit before. As a kid in college and for the first Rolex I ever bought about 8 years ago.

And I believe that the credit system is a fix that keeps people tied to the rat race.

It's just not for me.

I've got titles to my cars and to my house. Even in my business, I owe nothing to anyone. And my credit score is above 800. So if I ever need a loan, I'll get it fast and with great rates. A loan for a luxury watch? I just don't get it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with anyone doing whatever they want. Life is short, be happy. To each their own.

But to me, especially if you have the cash for it, it seems stupid. And if you don't have the cash...well, again...to each their own.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 05:06 AM   #196
mattty
"TRF" Member

If you can get 0% then why wouldn't you?

If you put a £10k Rolex on 0% over 3 years, if you put the 'now spare' money in an isa even at 1% interest you'd still earn £300 back over the duration.
That's a nice little discount on its own which should be took into account!

The key to all this is make your own discount the best way you can as for the majority of us now it's hard to get.
Funny though (sorry whilst on subject) we here lots of people talk about these so called discounts, what we never seem to hear about is the AD's where the discounts are available.

Best Matty
mattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 05:10 AM   #197
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Offended huh? That's a new twist I've not heard before.

For me it's simple...I've gotten in trouble with credit before. As a kid in college and for the first Rolex I ever bought about 8 years ago.

And I believe that the credit system is a fix that keeps people tied to the rat race.

It's just not for me.

I've got titles to my cars and to my house. Even in my business, I owe nothing to anyone. And my credit score is above 800. So if I ever need a loan, I'll get it fast and with great rates. A loan for a luxury watch? I just don't get it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with anyone doing whatever they want. Life is short, be happy. To each their own.

But to me, especially if you have the cash for it, it seems stupid. And if you don't have the cash...well, again...to each their own.
I was not talking about you particularly. I agree that if you have the cash you should use it. Some of us blessed enough that we can buy a Rolex watch that way. All I am saying is that I'm willing to bet there's a whole bunch of people that can't. Not just with watches either. Get rid of financing and we shut down the economy. I'm not sure what business you are in but that would devastate my business. It would be awesome for the economy if every Rolex AD sold a brand-new watch through financing today.

Instagram - patton250
Old 17 January 2017, 05:11 AM   #198
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Like guns and religion, probably best not to talk too much of money on this forum, esp our personal finances.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 05:12 AM   #199
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschneid View Post
You can find a brand new SS Sub date/no-date in the display cases of just about any AD in the US. Rolex limited supply to the UK as a result of the depreciation of the pound and I think that is why you're seeing such a shortage.

I got 10% off a SS Sub in 2013 (I am an existing customer) with minimal negotiation, I wouldn't completely discount getting 14% but it does seem outside the norm.

Yes I'm entirely aware of the fact that the US is entirely different with stock and also discounts.

For clarity, though, SS sports models over the past 4-5 years have been in real short supply here in the UK. Don't get me wrong, on the rare occasion you might get lucky, but generally speaking they have been hard to find.

Last year with the weak pound that short supply was diminished further and, nothing, was available. Asking for a Sub was suddenly like asking for a Daytona, not even taking discounts in to account there.
Old 17 January 2017, 05:21 AM   #200
h20addict
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I agree with previous posters, Cash or put it on the CC for the points and immediately pay it off.
h20addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 05:32 AM   #201
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Like guns and religion, probably best not to talk too much of money on this forum, esp our personal finances.

That's one thing I've certainly learnt from this thread about this forum.
Old 17 January 2017, 05:40 AM   #202
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Wow guys....chill out lol

From my point of view, I like 0% financing and have used it in the past.
However with current situation in the UK even 0% financing is hard to get here :(

I've also in the past paid on credit card with rewards e.g Amex, which has given a bonus of points/miles/cashback then I've cleared it off.

I respect people who like to pay cash too....everyone is different.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 05:49 AM   #203
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
I am debt-averse outside of my home mortgage in general. I'm also fortunate to have worked myself into that position...if I can't afford it with what I have, I wait.

Could be an exception if good opportunity comes up - e.g. if I didn't have a 116500 yet and one was offered me to at list, but I didn't have cash ready - but I'd need to also know how I was clearing that debt out.

Now that I've made my comment I'll go back in this thread...looks like things have gotten....interesting...
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 07:46 AM   #204
DPE
"TRF" Member

You will love the watch and at times think I am not sure. So never pay on the month by month. The months you are not sure will only hurt more.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 07:50 AM   #205
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I wonder if anyone has tapped their HELOC to procure a timepiece. A 100k watch at 3.375% for 30yrs....
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 07:59 AM   #206
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
I wonder if anyone has tapped their HELOC to procure a timepiece. A 100k watch at 3.375% for 30yrs....
You could do a reverse mortgage and live out your last 5 to 10 years with a Patek perpetual calendar. LOL.

Instagram - patton250
Old 17 January 2017, 11:57 AM   #207
slowturbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 42mm Polar Exp II
Only pay in cash unless its something you absolutely need and cannot afford at the time (excluding some attractive 0% financing when you do have the money in the bank). A luxury watch doesnt qualify.
IWC 3777-01
JLC Reverso Grand Taille
slowturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 10:09 PM   #208
nick h
Banned

Watch: rolex 16200/116231
Quote:

Despite you berating me here, I won't call out that I disbelieve you got a discount. Perhaps you did .....

Now, it sounds like you hate anyone who's done alright for themselves, hence knocking traders in the city. ..........
i got the discount and when i collect the watch next week i can email you a copy of the invoice

as for people who have done well for themselves?

i guess i have done pretty well after originally qualifying as an architect working worldwide in hospital design - i then opted out of the rat race and established a very successful sporting agency in Scotland

i retired a few years ago due to disability with a smashed hip - you cannot stalk the hills or deep wade with a dodgy hip!

oh, i know what it is like to be poor - years ago had phone/electric and gas cut off as i could not pay the bills

i dragged myself up and swore that never again would i get into that state again - i'm now fortunate that i can buy pretty much anything i want without credit and i sleep better at night!
nick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 10:45 PM   #209
mattty
"TRF" Member

I don't know how people get discount in uk at moment.

No matter who I ask for discount the replys the same - they'll just sell it to the next man on the list. Well unless the lists really are BS.

Think you could negotiate better on the not so popular models though.

Congratulations if you got it, it's a real skill you must have.

Rgds Matty
mattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:14 PM   #210
roviw
"TRF" Member

Reading some of the above reminds me of a joke I heard many years ago.

A guy asks his bank for a £30000 addition to his home mortgage for " home improvements ".

When asked by his mate in the pub what improvements he was going to make, he said that he really wanted to improve the visual appearance of the front of his house, he intended to have a new driveway for £2500 and spend the rest on a Porsche to park on it !!!
16700 GMT Master Pepsi Bezel
roviw is offline   Reply With Quote