The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2017, 02:35 PM   #61
behardt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
These 'lists' more often than not don't even exist.
Yep, the only list I was told was of people who paid in full...
Old 16 January 2017, 03:18 PM   #62
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
This may work with food and drink etc but not with desirable watches, cars, houses.

For every 1 person taking his biz elsewhere there are 100 bringing it to them.

They just roll their eyes and mutter 'there goes another @22222'

What else can you do though? Better than nothing.
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 03:50 PM   #63
nobbylon
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
What else can you do though? Better than nothing.
You can't so move on. That's life and no amount of stamping feet, posting videos or telling them how important or wealthy someone believes they are will change a thing. If your mate is an AD or you're famous you'll likely get one quicker.
I don't like line skipping at all, seniority jumpers etc but it happens.
I'd buy a speedmaster pro over a daytona anyway.
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 03:57 PM   #64
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

This is silly. Dealer can sell that watch to whoever he pleases.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 04:28 PM   #65
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

Agreed.

OP 1) Get over it, and 2) Find a new AD
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 04:37 PM   #66
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
Aren't we all first on the list
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 04:42 PM   #67
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Years ago I vented almost your same concerns to Rolex NY when the anniversary Sub came out. They played the ol political blah, blah, blah to me. Don't you know it, the dealer called me a week later for the watch. Coincidence? Not sure but I got the watch when most people where still trying to buy them.

At least go ahead and vent. If anything you'll feel better about it.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 04:53 PM   #68
SonnyAK
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc TT
Take your business elsewhere since there are many other great AD's and sellers! Don't ever go back...Not even for a discount.
Be sure to let friends and anyone who'll listen know what your experiences were with this specific AD...If they ever get wind of it and confront you, just send them their own emails back.
That's about it. Have fun shopping for a new Daytona
Old 16 January 2017, 06:52 PM   #69
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Tough break, but Rolex won't do anything and you may sour the relationship you have with the AD if you make too much noise - do nothing, be patient, your Daytona will come.
Old 16 January 2017, 07:41 PM   #70
Winnie Bloo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the GBP fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
Tough break, but Rolex won't do anything and you may sour the relationship you have with the AD if you make too much noise - do nothing, be patient, your Daytona will come.
My thoughts exactly. Perhaps have a friendly chat with and explain your concern.
Good luck !!
Winnie Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 07:54 PM   #71
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Best advice so far.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 07:59 PM   #72
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPizzzle View Post
I am an established client. As I stated, I'm not looking to have jumped in front of others, just not to be lied to about it. Im not stating that it's my right to have it first since I called first, I just believe in a certain level of honesty in customer service, especially from the top person in the company.

I am on "lists" with other dealers.
Quote:
I was just surprised the owner would be deceptive, but perhaps that was naive of me. Would have rather they told me that I'm behind 1000 people then lead me on.

Anyway, I'll prob write a letter or email just for my satisfaction. Curious if anyone has ever heard back from HQ after doing so.

Also, is there an email address for Rolex corporate or will I need to go through traditional mail?
Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm just going to write to Rolex to express my frustrations, and don't expect anything in return. I just believe that people should be treated with respect, and perhaps this will lead to a rep contacting them in regards to customer service or perhaps not.

Again, I agree with rewarding customers and even giving friends preference. I just don't agree with being dishonest and lead on. I don't care so much about the "list," but more so about the discussions over the phone and in email.
So while the dealer was two-timing you.. you were two-timing the dealer? You weren't going to buy watches from every list you were on where you? Or maybe if you were, you were just going to flip them? Are you going to put that in your letter to Rolex?
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 10:17 PM   #73
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Really, discuss your concerns with the appropriate person at the AD, minus any emotion. See what they tell you and leverage this to your advantage on the yet to be received Daytona-C and any future purchases. Many will say this situation is not "Fair". I say the Fair is where you buy cotton candy and ride the rides. This is business, not personal.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 06:03 AM   #74
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
So while the dealer was two-timing you.. you were two-timing the dealer?
That's not two-timing. The OP putting his name on multiple dealers' lists is the same as a dealer having multiple customers' names on a given list. It's playing the odds. There's nothing wrong with it.

However, if the dealer represents to a customer that placement on the list represents an option to buy a watch in a given order of priority, and then sells the watch to someone else in contravention of that order without honoring the customer's option, that's just flat-out dishonest.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 12:12 PM   #75
Sidmind
"TRF" Member

Watch: you, watch me!!
Be careful what you wish for in your complaints might get you the wrong kind of attention. Such as getting removed from the list completely.
Sidmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 12:14 PM   #76
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Great catch. Yeah, OP blames the AD for doing the same thing he was doing. Irony. Or Karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
So while the dealer was two-timing you.. you were two-timing the dealer? You weren't going to buy watches from every list you were on where you? Or maybe if you were, you were just going to flip them? Are you going to put that in your letter to Rolex?
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 12:28 PM   #77
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Great catch. Yeah, OP blames the AD for doing the same thing he was doing. Irony. Or Karma.
That's a false equivalency. He'd be two-timing the dealer if the dealer wasn't taking any other customers' names on the watch because he had absolute faith the OP would buy it, and then lost a sales opportunity if the OP flaked. Of course no dealer does that. The very existence of a list means there are multiple customers' names on it. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a list; it would just be a single customer's name on a piece of paper. How is it two-timing, then, if a customer puts his name on lists at multiple ADs? How does that act exempt the AD from honoring a customer's place on his own list?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 12:42 PM   #78
Sidmind
"TRF" Member

Watch: you, watch me!!
My AD told me that if they had any feelings that the person buying would just flip it then they would be low on the list (which effectible means off it)

The only folks on the list in the first place are those they knew 100% would not flip it, how do they know? I doubt they can other than close relationships with their customers.

Would not surprise me if they compare lists, just to see if anyone is putting their name on all of them to see if they detect a flipper.
Sidmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 03:59 PM   #79
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
The dealer owns the watch. It's the dealer's watch to do with as he sees fit.

First world problems.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 04:06 PM   #80
jfoord27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm just going to write to Rolex to express my frustrations, and don't expect anything in return. I just believe that people should be treated with respect, and perhaps this will lead to a rep contacting them in regards to customer service or perhaps not.

Again, I agree with rewarding customers and even giving friends preference. I just don't agree with being dishonest and lead on. I don't care so much about the "list," but more so about the discussions over the phone and in email.
Perhaps you are better off not writing the letter. Put it this way, if you write it you won't get a watch any faster but you will probably get taken off the list you were on as you will tick off thst dealer. If you don't complain to rolex you may get the next one from that dealer - since you expressed your disappointment they may give you the next one to get you off their back.

From an outcomes point of view probably best to not write the letter, while putting your name on the list at all dealers in your area.
jfoord27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2017, 11:35 PM   #81
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Write the letter but don't post it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 12:48 AM   #82
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I wouldn't narc on your AD. It sure as won't get you a daytona. That said, I feel your pain. I was told by a saleswoman I was at the "top" of the list only to find out later that there were a few of us up there at the top

Luckily my number was called after politely checking back in a few times.

Good luck and don't sweat it. It's not the end all be all watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18 January 2017, 08:40 PM   #83
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by behardt View Post
Yep, the only list I was told was of people who paid in full...
I have been on a number of dealer lists with mixed outcomes.
No deposits were required and the dealer obviously administered their list as they saw fit with VIP's taking preference over people like myself.

The last time I was on a list with only a substantial deposit paid as required by the dealer at the time to demonstrate a commitment.
The way they were handling their list had changed from earlier times.
I got my watch within a few months of paying the deposit after a total of about 10 months of being on the list.
Not long after I paid my deposit I understand it was impossible to go on the list as the dealer wasn't sure they could honour the delivery and they didn't want to be holding such a large amount in deposits in the event the music stopped for that model.

It is clear the list arrangements are entirely a matter for the individual dealer.
They are not bound by rules other than those they impose internally.
Their integrity is another matter and if caught out a little, the way they handle the matter is again entirely up to them as there are no laws to govern their behaviour.

If one doesn't like the way they conduct their business, then take them to court if one thinks it's their best chance of getting an outcome in one's favour
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 08:41 PM   #84
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Write the letter but don't post it.
A great strategy
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2017, 09:29 PM   #85
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidmind View Post
My AD told me that if they had any feelings that the person buying would just flip it then they would be low on the list (which effectible means off it)

The only folks on the list in the first place are those they knew 100% would not flip it, how do they know? I doubt they can other than close relationships with their customers.

Would not surprise me if they compare lists, just to see if anyone is putting their name on all of them to see if they detect a flipper.
I struggle to understand why an AD would not wish to sell a watch to a customer that they suspect might sell the watch on, as they sell to grey dealers who do exactly the same thing. Am I missing something here or just being thick?

Dan
Black Bay Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 12:24 AM   #86
R G
Banned

Quote:
do nothing, be patient, your Daytona will come.
Great advice. Even sounds very wise. Very Morgan Freeman-esque.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 12:33 AM   #87
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air King Dan View Post
I struggle to understand why an AD would not wish to sell a watch to a customer that they suspect might sell the watch on, as they sell to grey dealers who do exactly the same thing. Am I missing something here or just being thick?

Dan
You're neither missing something or being thick.

AD's are retail staff. Most, won't have a massively excellent customer-relation/service understanding. Some will have landed a gig where they are facilitating the sale of a hugely popular type of product - can't even call it selling as the buying desire is already there.

Some AD's will feel a bit special, being able to decide who gets what, and this just sounds like part of that.

In my experience, if you come across a good AD who actually likes and has an interest in what they do, then they may have a legitimate list that has some sort of structure. That, or if you have a good relationship with an AD, then there is no reason that you wouldn't get looked after.
Old 19 January 2017, 12:38 AM   #88
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
I'll go against the grain a bit here. If you have in writing that you were number one and they smoked you. Alert Rolex USA. I'm sure they don't want their reps lying to customers.
x2. I have no patience for liars, cheaters, or thieves. That AD falls into that category. I would alert everyone I could about their faulty character and dishonest business practices.

It's amazing to me that so many are defending the AD when they blatantly lied to a customer....to me that speaks as loudly to the character of those individuals as well. So much for honoring your word, it's sad that has little value anymore.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 12:38 AM   #89
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey all,

Before I start, I know this is nothing new, but figured this would be an ok place to vent.

So to make a long story short, like many here, I had contacted my AD to be placed on the "list" right after the ceramic Daytona was announced. I was told I was first by both my rep and the store owner. I had recently found out from the rep that the owner had sold the watch to a client who spends more. Nothing new here, but I just feel a little dissapointed to have been lied to and was wondering if anyone thinks it's worth contacting Rolex HQ. I wrote an email to the owner expressing my dissapointment. I'm not expecting anything to happen, but just don't feel like this should be how customers are treated, especially by an owner.

Anyone ever contact Rolex HQ about this type of thing and would someone mind sharing the outcome?

Thanks for letting me vent :(

JP

P.s. I'm not complaining about not being first, just that I was told I was first and was told to expect to pickup in the fall multiple times.
Really? I normally don't get rude on TRF but grow up! The dealer can do/say whatever he wants. What would achieve by crying to Rolex? You think the AD will think you are a great customer?

I'm sorry you cannot get a 116500, many of us are in the same situation. Be mad at Rolex for creating an artificial scarcity, not at your AD for not getting enough of them.

Vote with your feet and take your hard earned dollars elsewhere.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 01:02 AM   #90
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
x2. I have no patience for liars, cheaters, or thieves. That AD falls into that category. I would alert everyone I could about their faulty character and dishonest business practices.

It's amazing to me that so many are defending the AD when they blatantly lied to a customer....to me that speaks as loudly to the character of those individuals as well. So much for honoring your word, it's sad that has little value anymore.
Sounds like you're pretty angry already so I'll try not to push you over the edge.

I'm not sure of the fact that others who have 'stuck up' for the AD's means anything about thier integrity, or lack of. I think they feel they might just be looking at it more 'realistically'.

I can understand why you're angry, you've been pie-faced, and it's disappointing when someone else hasn't treated you the way you think you'd treat them, but you just have to let it go! You know, like Frozen!!

Just like Morgan Freeman (aka Brett Paul) has said a few posts back, be patient, your Daytona will come.