The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 March 2016, 07:08 AM   #1
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Vintage Daytona experts - 6234?

Been reading, and looking at pictures of course, of vintage Daytona's. Ran across this on the net saying it is a 6234 (not my watch or picture). I can't seem to find any other pictures or references to one without a bezel and/or tachymeter on the dial. Anyone seen one like this? Genuine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vintage daytona.jpg (61.5 KB, 465 views)
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 07:21 AM   #2
RolexJNJ
"TRF" Member

Hi, yes there was a 6234 (pre-Daytona). They originally were outfitted with the dial in the photo I have attached here. Your photo shows one that had the original dial replaced with a service dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6234.jpg (79.8 KB, 457 views)
RolexJNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Ckci
"TRF" Member

Watch: FedEx 4 next 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexJNJ View Post
Hi, yes there was a 6234 (pre-Daytona). They originally were outfitted with the dial in the photo I have attached here. Your photo shows one that had the original dial replaced with a service dial.
Joe is the guy to know. He has some really awesome vintage Daytona's.
Ckci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 10:14 PM   #4
RolexJNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckci View Post
Joe is the guy to know. He has some really awesome vintage Daytona's.
Russell! Just learning as I go.
Old 24 March 2016, 11:17 PM   #5
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer - I'm trying to learn as I go too!

In looking up the 6234 I found plenty examples the dial as shown above so hence the question. Based in the answer it's a "service dial", I did some research on those. From the reading I've done is seems "service dials" are typically very similar to the original dial they replace and many time only an expert can tell or they are marked as such. For example, a newer dial, based on color, lume or font, on an older model because that's what was available when dial was replaced but still real (authentic) Rolex.

In the case above, the "service dial" is drastically different than the original. So, is this a "unique" service dial - i.e. made as such? Or is this dial from a newer model that was designed to have the tachymeter on the bezel - therefore no tachymeter at all? I also see noted the dial says "Daytona" under cosmograph also suggesting it's a more recent dial. If the 6234 is "pre-Daytona" obviously the dial wouldn't say "Daytona".

I actually like simplistic look - although it kind of defeats the purpose/utility of the watch without the tachymeter. I also presume, not considering other factors, this would not be a very collectable piece based on not having an original dial.
Old 24 March 2016, 11:46 PM   #6
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxedElvis View Post
I actually like simplistic look - although it kind of defeats the purpose/utility of the watch without the tachymeter. I also presume, not considering other factors, this would not be a very collectable piece based on not having an original dial.
Personally, I don't find tachymeters useful at all! I wear chronographs a lot and I don't think I've ever actually used that feature. I think it's a good-looking watch; I wouldn't outright call it "not very collectible" but the dial is probably the main reason it's listed for $20k and not $35k+.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 12:00 AM   #7
RolexJNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer - I'm trying to learn as I go too!

In looking up the 6234 I found plenty examples the dial as shown above so hence the question. Based in the answer it's a "service dial", I did some research on those. From the reading I've done is seems "service dials" are typically very similar to the original dial they replace and many time only an expert can tell or they are marked as such. For example, a newer dial, based on color, lume or font, on an older model because that's what was available when dial was replaced but still real (authentic) Rolex.

In the case above, the "service dial" is drastically different than the original. So, is this a "unique" service dial - i.e. made as such? Or is this dial from a newer model that was designed to have the tachymeter on the bezel - therefore no tachymeter at all? I also see noted the dial says "Daytona" under cosmograph also suggesting it's a more recent dial. If the 6234 is "pre-Daytona" obviously the dial wouldn't say "Daytona".

My pleasure. I don't think there's anything unique about this dial. It looks like a generic service dial that Rolex would use for older Daytona models.

Its a great looking watch, so if you like it, you should go for it. But I don't think it will be an easy watch to re-sell. 99% of buyers/collectors want everything original, especially the dial.

P.S., I wouldn't pay $20K for this.
Old 25 March 2016, 05:15 AM   #8
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

I was just just looking and ran across this one. I have a modern Daytona and with all the hype about the 2016 version I was doing some reading on vintage. Maybe one day. I just thought this was an interesting watch and was trying to figure out what it was.

Thanks for your time.
Old 25 March 2016, 07:30 AM   #9
RolexJNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was just just looking and ran across this one. I have a modern Daytona and with all the hype about the 2016 version I was doing some reading on vintage. Maybe one day. I just thought this was an interesting watch and was trying to figure out what it was.

Thanks for your time.
Absolutely! The more research and info you have, the better!!
Old 24 November 2016, 09:37 PM   #10
Cmpar293
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Personally, I don't find tachymeters useful at all! I wear chronographs a lot and I don't think I've ever actually used that feature. I think it's a good-looking watch; I wouldn't outright call it "not very collectible" but the dial is probably the main reason it's listed for $20k and not $35k+.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Cmpar293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 11:27 AM   #11
rbsloan11
"TRF" Member

original dial

Here is my original dial 6234 for reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7471.jpg (97.1 KB, 170 views)
rbsloan11 is offline   Reply With Quote