The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 27 November 2016, 08:10 AM   #1
wez004
"TRF" Member

Explorer ii 16570 Movement Noise.

Hi,

I recently purchased a Rolex 16570 from 2008 that had been sat in a safe untouched for 8 years.

In the dead of night I can hear the watch ticking, it's like a lite chime or pinking sound. However the ticking is not at a constant level and for about 20 seconds or so it's barley noticeable or audible. This watch is keeping perfect time to about 1 second a day.

Should new old stock be serviced? Does the explorer ii movement sound like mine or is mine dry inside?

Any advice would be great. Love this forum been lurking a long time.
wez004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 03:38 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

A watch that did not run for 8 years is likely dry or near dry, it can run fine but the wear on the pivots and steel on steel parts goes a lot quicker now. I'd recommend a movement service where the watchmaker cleans the movement and re-lubricates it.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2016, 07:34 PM   #3
wez004
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
A watch that did not run for 8 years is likely dry or near dry, it can run fine but the wear on the pivots and steel on steel parts goes a lot quicker now. I'd recommend a movement service where the watchmaker cleans the movement and re-lubricates it.
Thanks for your reply. It has motivated me to contact the watch dealer who has under his 12 month warranty agreed to have it serviced.
Old 21 December 2016, 10:04 PM   #4
Jesse Pinkman
"TRF" Member

I have a GMT and it also sings at night, 'chiming' and 'pinking' just as you say. For me it's part of the appeal of owning a watch that 'lives'. All those turning components will make sound according to their own different periodic cycles. As the cycles reinforce or cancel one another, the sound will appear to come and go. I think it's quite normal.
Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 12:23 AM   #5
Pharaoh_83
"TRF" Member

+1 for have it serviced. it should be whisper quiet (unless you hold it right up to your ear)
Pharaoh_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 04:04 AM   #6
wez004
"TRF" Member

I think I've been paranoid. I've decided to wear my brand new 116100LN Sub which I've had sitting in a safe since October and to be honest although not as pronounced, the tick is very similar in sound to the Explorer II. There's a period that the Sub movement chimes for about 20 seconds.

I'm beginning to realise that Rolex movements have a inconsistent tick.

My watch dealer in Mayfair has assured me that the watch does not need serving after having a watch maker look at it. I trust him 100 percent.

Obviously, I was worried that I was running the watch with a dry movement.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 22 December 2016, 10:22 PM   #7
RichardF
"TRF" Member

My 18 kt GMT was in a safe deposit box for 16 years and when I took it out and wound it she kept perfect time. I sent it in right away to a RSC to prevent any damage. Usually in most cases when a Rolex movement needs service they will tend to run slow/lose time, start and stop then lock up.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 04:09 AM   #8
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
The difference in the ticking you are detecting is a resonance through the centre seconds hand when it travels through an arc at 90 degrees to the escapement. It can happen twice during one rotation around the dial. It is a characteristic many high beat mechanical watches have (of many brands and designs). It depends on the movement architecture and the length and material of the centre seconds hand. It's not indicative of an issue with the watch. The vast majority do of people do not even notice it.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 05:31 AM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

The sound is not the issue here guys, it is the fact that it didn't run for 8 years and thus it's lubricants have dried. That is why a service is recommended.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 06:45 AM   #10
Jesse Pinkman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm beginning to realise that Rolex movements have a inconsistent tick.
I stand by my post, seconded by Ironstark; it's not inconsistent, it's just perfectly periodic. Enjoy the choir!
Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2017, 12:32 AM   #11
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Good discussion! I just picked up a later Z-series 16570 with 3186 movement, circa 2007 (I think). I'm planning to send it in for 10-yr servicing later this year, but in the meantime, I'm loving the sound of the movement. Interestingly, I also have a 116710 BLNR, but the high and low frequency resonances don't seem nearly as pronounced to me.
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2017, 08:37 AM   #12
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
There will be differences between models and or different versions of the same model. Case size/thickness etc... will of course affect how much you hear, how much is masked. They all have their own characteristics. Enjoy.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 09:45 AM   #13
wez004
"TRF" Member

I picked up one of my Tudors from service the other day in Bristol and the watch maker took a look at my Explorer II. He put my mind to rest and told me the watch is in perfect working order and the movement isn't dry.

The oils are synthetic and in that sealed environment it doesn't dry out.

My friends GMT master sounds similar.

Thanks for all the participants in this thread. I think modern Rolex watches can be stored long term without issue.
Old 16 January 2017, 09:57 AM   #14
wez004
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh_83 View Post
+1 for have it serviced. it should be whisper quiet (unless you hold it right up to your ear)
Depending on where you lay your watch at night you can get application of the movement noise.