The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 June 2009, 05:34 AM   #1
wyattearp
"TRF" Member

Watch: it all fly by.
Icon9 1970's DJ 16014 losing time over 24hr period

I bought a vintage datejust 16014 back in april and it loses about 1.5-2 minutes over a period of 24 hours. it was serviced back in 04 (yes i know i should take it in for service) but the AD said it should be fine as long as i wear it often(which i do, everyday). is there any specific position i should put the watch in while its on my nightside table in order to gain/lose/maintain time? Or should i call the AD and have them either service it themselves or send it to Rolex? It came with a six month guarantee which im guessing would cover this kind of problem.

If anyone could help me figure what to do that would be great. Im kinda strapped for cash and cant really go have it serviced myself at rolex for like 500$... Im wondering if it just runs slow like this because its an old watch with a different movement from newer ones which are more accurate.

It is just very disapointing knowing that i have to adjust the time every time i wake up/midway through the day when there is supposedly a 48 hour power reserve.

Cheers! Thank you!
wyattearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
No, it is likely not running slow because it is an older watch.. Unlike us, they don't get tired and move more slowly as they age.

Your watch should be able to perform almost as well as anything on the market now..

Losing this kind of time is a pretty good indication that it needs service.. either something is rubbing without oil, causing friction... or something is bent or broken..

Take it back if you are within a warranty window and have it looked into..
Old 29 June 2009, 01:53 PM   #3
rsmithor

Watch: Rolex GMT (Pepsi)
A watch winder... might do the trick

Get a watch winder... all the stress will be off, and it will stay fully powered... at that point, after you and your watch will get in a grove, then you'll have a more accurate account of time gain or loss. Then i'd have the watched serviced for time adjustment... see attached printout of my vintage GMT after time servicing adjustment. See http://www.horologist.com/rolex_tools.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex gmt test.jpg (137.7 KB, 68 views)
rsmithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Balboa

Use your warranty. It may require just a simple regulation or possibly something more extensive. Either should be covered.

A watch winder has absolutely nothing to do with the accuracy or the proper mechanical function of your watch. Skip it. Besides for the cost of many winders, you can have your watch serviced by a good watch maker.

Mark
Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote