The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 July 2009, 04:45 PM   #1
superdelsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6.
1978 Lady Date Dial Color?

I posted this question on the General Discussion forum and didn't receive any responses, so I thought that maybe I'd try here. After a bit of shopping, my wife decided that her 2nd Rolex was going to be this 5 million series model 6916. It's an Oyster Perpetual Date from 1978 with the acrylic crystal. The watch appears to be in good condition for a 31 year old timepiece. An interesting item is that the silver colored markers have white color applied on the top edges. I used a UV light to illuminate the tritium hands and dots, but the white on the markers does not illuminate, so it must be paint. The dial color is what she liked most, so we are curious as to the color. I have seen similar dials in photos and the colors were refered to as grey, slate gray, dark grey, and even smoke grey. Is this indeed a grey dial, and are there variants of the grey color? If so, which color does this appear to be? The 1st photo was taken in the bright Arizona sun, and the 2nd was taken under the shade of the front porch. Thanks.