The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 December 2016, 03:40 AM   #31
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I like driving, but I wish all these people who are texting while sitting at a green light would get one...
Old 17 December 2016, 08:29 AM   #32
drgoro
"TRF" Member

I don't think it's smart to leave one's life in the hands of code written by another human being. Plus I like to drive.
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2016, 10:29 AM   #33
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoro View Post
I don't think it's smart to leave one's life in the hands of code written by another human being. Plus I like to drive.
agreed

especially if its the same 25 year olds with beards who code websites and app store apps which are always bugging....not a chance

now if its some japanese mathematics genius or a master engineer...maybe...
Old 17 December 2016, 10:48 AM   #34
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
As a feature that I can disable, maybe.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2016, 11:31 AM   #35
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Only if I can have a whiskey and a cigar in the back 😂

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Now you're talking!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2016, 11:59 AM   #36
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
They will be mainstream inside 3 years, and will need to be able to function with regular drivers forever. To Andrew's point above the bigger revelation than driverless cars is that it may co-incide with near instant disruption to the way we view transport. Tesla fleet etc will mean your car essentially can operate as an uber taxi, in short the number of people who own cars may decrease, similarly parking stations as we know them will significantly disappear, when you go into a sporting event or shopping centre, your car will be out acting as a taxi or taking itself to a charging point. It will return to a preset time. The implication of this efficient use of vehicles may also obviate the need for a number of new freeway extensions etc. So the mere fact of whether your foot is on the accelerator or not is insignificant next to the impact of a car fully integrated in the internet of things.

To answer the question would I own one, no, but I would be happy to be driven around in one like an uber taxi, hopefully my Aston will be around long enough for me to be buried in it. The implication of electric cars into the grid will also extend the functional life of fossil fuels.

The real science behind autonomous vehicles is not to replace us behind the wheel, but to massively change those who industries rely on drivers at cost to the system. The car part is much about PR so that we accept the technology before ships, semi trailers etc all go fully digital. No need for sleeping truckies etc....

The only major industry change in the last 30 years has been communications/internet etc, the next 10-20 years as the internet of things kicks in and large computing will see massive change. Health will be the next big one, a lot of white collar high end roles including Doctors will be replaced with Genomic/Phenomic/Microbiome algorithms that can provide far better best practice medicine than the learning of a single doctor over a life time.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2016, 12:33 PM   #37
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Until you totally eliminate the human factor, autonomous cars are nothing but an interesting idea. If 99,999 cars on a road can communicate with each other and work together, all it takes is one dumba$$ in car 100,000 to screw it all up and do something the other cars can't handle.
Old 17 December 2016, 03:59 PM   #38
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoro View Post
Sorry to tell you my friend, but as a former Navy Fighter Pilot that still works in aviation, whenever you fly on an airline you are doing exactly this about 90% of the time; even on landing.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2016, 04:16 PM   #39
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by seand442 View Post
Until you totally eliminate the human factor, autonomous cars are nothing but an interesting idea. If 99,999 cars on a road can communicate with each other and work together, all it takes is one dumba$$ in car 100,000 to screw it all up and do something the other cars can't handle.
I would agree with this if the intent of driverless cars was like the jetsons where it was all in an automated grid but it is not. The cars have a massive number of movement sensors that will pick up before a human what is going on around them, in principle it is like a cruise missile which picks its own random path to target. It is why they will be able to be on the road with morons who are DUI, they will operate more like a 6 eyed human, sensing what is going on around them.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote