The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 August 2013, 02:59 AM   #1
toulouse

Watch: 210, GMT2C
Jeweler scratched my case :(

I noticed a tiny fleck or something attached to the inside of the sapphire crystal of my 210 so I sent it back to the gray jeweler I purchased it from (bnib complete set). When they returned it I noticed that the back side of the case was deeply scratched. (you can tell it was made by whatever tool they used to pry off the case back bezel(?). They freaking denied doing the damage first off, and then told me they never opened the case back (that it was simply a dust particle on the outside of the glass, which it 100% was NOT). Anyway, they took it back to polish out their scratches, but not all came out. There are still a couple scratches that won't come out. Although it is on the underside of the watch, and no one would ever see it unless I took it off and flipped it over and showed them, it still bugs me that they did this (and then lied).

Now, I have still been talking to them about this and they agreed to let me trade it back in towards another watch. A 183 bnib + a few hundred to even out the trade. I like the 183 as well, but perhaps not as much as my 210.

Should I give them back the watched they scratched for a bnib 183 or just cut my losses and keep the 210? I'm a bit torn but whatever I do, I want to just be happy with my purchase. Sorry for the long post. I have delayed asking this question here but I'm truly torn.

PS - it DID take me a good 4 days after receiving the watch back from them before I noticed the scratches. It was strapped to my wrist and I didn't examine it in good lighting until the weekend came. (which gave them the opening to say that I must've done it ).

What would you guys do? I'm so embarrassed this happened in the first place. Never will I purchase gray again. Only TRF trusted sellers for life
toulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2013, 03:05 AM   #2
Friedl41
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes
What if they give you a compensation and you keep the 210 .... Maybe worth asking. Personally the 210 is more special ... But without anything the scratches will drive you mad and always remind you.

Happend to me with my IWC ... Actually it stopped bothering me after a year ... But i hardly wear it anyway.
PP 5065a
Friedl41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2013, 03:08 AM   #3
toulouse

Tried that. I can keep pushing for it. I think by offering compensation they'll be admitting they did it, which they don't want to do.
Old 10 August 2013, 03:09 AM   #4
badgtho
"TRF" Member

Do you have insurance on the watch? Did you pay by credit card? If so you may be able to place a claim.
CA1215 Formula 1 Chrono
Etc...
badgtho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2013, 03:15 AM   #5
toulouse

Amex and some of it from my Paypal balance (from checking account). I can still do this, but like I said, they're denying they did it.
Old 10 August 2013, 03:25 AM   #6
Friedl41
"TRF" Member

Can you post some pictures ...
PP 5065a
Old 10 August 2013, 03:44 AM   #7
toulouse

See those two deep scratches? They're obviously made by a tool, and is the same depth, and direction, as if done trying to rotate, pry off off that bezel part (does anyone know what the technical name of that bezel with the OP text is called)? It's not as bad as before since they did polish out most of the rest. But I knew these two would never come out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scratch.jpg (70.0 KB, 348 views)
Old 10 August 2013, 04:11 AM   #8
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Not sure if that is a reflection or if that is how bad the scratch is... if the latter, I would just return the watch for a full refund and be done with it. Obviously this gray dealer is not reputable and dishonest. I wouldn't want anything to do with them after this experience.
Old 10 August 2013, 05:46 AM   #9
wingku
"TRF" Member

Watch: the World unfold
Oh that blows Tony! I probably won't want to trade for the 183. Depends on which watch you like better though.

I took my PO to a department store "watch" repair to size it and when I saw her using a bloody hammer to put the pins back in, I almost had a stroke. They ended up put a scratch on the clasp as well.....I will never go back!
wingku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2013, 06:19 AM   #10
joker01
"TRF" Member

I'd get the watch you want. If the 210 is what you want, I'd have them order you one and pay whatever the difference is. I think you wont be happy with a watch that someone had scratched it.
joker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2013, 06:55 AM   #11
toulouse

Looks like he might be able to get me another 210. Hopefully that works out and all will be well again. I will update next week, hopefully w good news.
Old 10 August 2013, 08:16 AM   #12
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
They must not have the proper Panerai caseback tools. Looks like they used a universal opener and it slipped.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Friedl41
"TRF" Member

Fingers crossed.
PP 5065a
Old 11 August 2013, 05:29 AM   #14
PGAPRO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex WG Daytona
Not a doubt in my mind what I would do. Take the watch back, and bail. I wouldn't even
argue, tell the story to Amex, get your full $$ back, then find one on TRF, and start completely over with a trusted seller. There are numerous ones on here, their reputation is important than trying to screw over a member. Just saying. You are never gonna be happy, even with the trade. A man's word is his
bond, and the jeweler obviously is not a man of his word. Run Tony, Run!!
PGAPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2013, 01:06 PM   #15
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
They must not have the proper Panerai caseback tools. Looks like they used a universal opener and it slipped.
Correct
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2013, 01:12 PM   #16
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by toulouse View Post
Looks like he might be able to get me another 210. Hopefully that works out and all will be well again. I will update next week, hopefully w good news.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2013, 03:29 PM   #17
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGAPRO View Post
Not a doubt in my mind what I would do. Take the watch back, and bail. I wouldn't even
argue, tell the story to Amex, get your full $$ back, then find one on TRF, and start completely over with a trusted seller. There are numerous ones on here, their reputation is important than trying to screw over a member. Just saying. You are never gonna be happy, even with the trade. A man's word is his
bond, and the jeweler obviously is not a man of his word. Run Tony, Run!!
Agreed. Not very reputable on their part.
Old 18 August 2013, 07:32 PM   #18
rulessapt
"TRF" Member

Watch: u c
While there might be a number of trusted sellers here, 210s are thin on the ground, especially new ones.
IF the seller can provide another NIB, then okay, it is worth the pain. at least they are still trying to make good, whilst not admitting their error.

Why would they be removing the back cover anyway is my question? Provided the paperwork numbers agree and the warranty card is filled in, then it should be kosher.
I realise there are fakes out there, very good ones. Perhaps they were attempting due diligence.

Food for thought.

cheers,
richard
rulessapt is offline   Reply With Quote