The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which Car for Comfort?
2017 BMW 750 22 15.38%
2017 Mercedes S550 88 61.54%
2017 Audi A8/S8 23 16.08%
Other (in $150K or less range loaded) 10 6.99%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 November 2016, 03:45 AM   #31
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
Wow - great comments everyone, just what I was hoping to hear!
Feedback from people that have tried/owned these cars.
I have had pretty much only BMW and Porsche the past 8 years, but never a 7 series.
I have owned a 2012 Panamera S, and honestly seats were no more comfortable than my 911. Not good at all for long trips IMO. Maybe new generation will bring better seats.
Maserati nice but not really my cup of tea.
Aston Martin definitely nicer, only too expensive. Looking to buy new and have no worries putting lots of miles.

I am going to be test driving a 7 series today, I already know I love the S550 based on a test drive, lets see if I love the 7 series more.
Ruled out Audi after seeing one in person and feedback on depreciation further confirms the decision to move on from Audi (for now).

Looking like BMW vs Merc for me...
I'll keep you posted

Thanks again, great information from everyone
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 05:17 AM   #32
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
He didn't ask about Bentley...or RR. There are plenty brands that tank For OP let us know what you decide.
Excellent point, noted, and look fwd to see if the OP gets a Mercedes or or BMW.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 05:27 AM   #33
tvad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He didn't ask about Bentley...or RR.
However, he included "Other" in his poll, which suggests he is open to suggestions.

To be fair, one cannot place all the VW Auto Group brands under the same "unreliable" banner.

Porsche was #2 in the JD Power 2016 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study, scoring 97/100 behind Lexus' top score of 95/100.
tvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 05:33 AM   #34
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvad View Post
However, he included "Other" in his poll, which suggests he is open to suggestions.

One cannot place all the VW Auto Group brands under the same "unreliable" banner.

Porsche was #2 in the JD Power 2016 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study, scoring 97/100 behind Lexus' top score of 95/100.
Agreed. I wasn't talking about reliability that was someone else. I quite frankly have never had an issue with any brands including Audi, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, etc, etc...then again I never keep them long enough

However, when it comes to depreciation, Turbo S falls into that depreciation bomb category ($200k sticker, $160 when you drive it off)..anyways, another subject for a different thread. Like anything BUY RIGHT, some brands more than others.

Looking forward to OP's comments after his test drives.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 05:35 AM   #35
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Mercedes Benz
Old 23 November 2016, 05:36 AM   #36
tvad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...when it comes to depreciation, Turbo S falls into that depreciation bomb category ($200k sticker, $160 when you drive it off)...
Absolutely! I bought my 911S used (CPO), and let someone else take the depreciation hit.
tvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 07:27 AM   #37
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
My two Mercedes were far above the reliability and service options for my two BMW's.

I would start with the S550 and try to find a reason NOT to buy it.

As for Lexus, yes reliable but boring soulless cars. I tried to like one and it was boring, bland and too cookie cutter, just like Toyota.
I agree about the Lexus being boring, a very good friend got a GX not long ago, and yes it is a little boring IMHO, what's funny is that he sold his Cayenne for it, and he prefers the Lexus, really can't understand how that's possible to be honest
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 08:58 AM   #38
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Always liked the Audi S8 but it is definitely overdue for a makeover and with all the bad pub lately...I have had several Audi's over the last few years and had good luck with them, but I have never kept one past the warranty period.

Drove a 2015 S550 recently and it is a truly awesome car and seems to fit your needs the best. I also drove the S63 and really loved that.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 09:04 AM   #39
nick c
Banned

I'm a BMW guy so 750
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 09:08 AM   #40
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Funny, my stable was similar to yours (991C2S & X5 50i)

I haven't driven the updated 7-series, but from a styling perspective I feel like it's to similar to the 5. I would go for a MB this time around. Try a little variety!
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 09:50 AM   #41
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
S8 for me

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 09:53 AM   #42
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
The S550 is comfortable. If you want comfort try a new Lexus LS460. Good luck on what you choose
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 11:36 AM   #43
X JBM X
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: dealer's choice
My personal choice would be an RS7, but that may be too much sport and not enough comfort.

Perhaps a Jaguar as someone suggested earlier... but you probably should look at the Lexus even if Toyota doesn't tickle you. And even Cadillac should be on the radar.

It's great to have the $150k budget for this car, but you may be able to find exactly what you're looking for without having to spend the entire lot.
Old 23 November 2016, 11:49 AM   #44
One Ping Only
"TRF" Member

Watch: several
The new 750 is tempting. I can't believe I said that, must be getting old. My last 550 with the M seats was the most comfortable car I have ever owned. Nearest dealer is too far for comfort so I have gone back to Audi.
Old 23 November 2016, 11:56 AM   #45
707soldier
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX USA
Lexus LS460.
Old 23 November 2016, 01:30 PM   #46
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
Update:
I test drove a fully loaded 740 with 20 way seats today.
They did not have any 750s on the lot, but I am assuming the seats and ride are close.
Obviously more power in the 750, but the 740 was surprisingly quick too and probably feels similar.

Verdict on Comfort.
S550 wins easily compared to 740, not even close.
Seats so much more comfortable especially.
740 seats and comfort was a little mediocre IMO.
S class interior just looks/feels more luxurious. BMW a bit more sporty,
with a whole lot of cool tech, but interior doesn't compare to the S-class.

On driving and performance,
Very close, both great in that department. In the BMW 740 I felt a little better connection to the road and handling edges the Mercedes (at least what I could gather from a 10 minute test drive).

But since I really want comfort for this one, Looking very likely that it might be an S class, just would have to decide which one.
(I am going to test drive a AMG S63 tomorrow)

But the journey is not over, I have been a BMW man the past 8 years with a 911 companion the past 5, so I am not totally giving up. They have a new 2017 Alpina B7 coming in a few weeks and definitely want to try a 750 and see if there are other seating/interior options that would make it more comfortable.

Thanks again for all the great comments and feedback,
I'll update when I get closer to a decision
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 02:05 PM   #47
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Audi R7.
dP
Exactly what I was thinking. Well the RS7. Back seats are not as luxurious as the A/S8 but if you're never back there who cares.

S550 is a fine choice, leans towards luxury over sporty but it has a heck of an engine. 750 is great but BMW's depreciate so fast it's hard to make a case for them.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 02:33 PM   #48
lee fowler

Watch: GMT
Have you looked at a Tesla?

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 04:38 PM   #49
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
Have you looked at a Tesla?
Honestly I think that Tesla misses somewhat to concur with these car

Just my .02

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 04:52 PM   #50
Star Ferry
Banned

Not sure if this perception exists where OP lives, but I think of a black S class sedan as a chauffeured car. So if I were to drive one myself, I would get a different color. I might also consider the coupe version
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 09:35 PM   #51
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats OP and the Mercedes is a fine car if you go that way. They have great tech within them too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 23 November 2016, 10:10 PM   #52
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
I voted S550 because the 750 although very comfortable, will feel a little more firm. My personal favorite which wasn't an option is the Lexus LS 460. I've had the LS 400, 430 and am on my 3rd LS 460 and I can tell you that the comfort is amazing. The LS is the car we take on long road trips. Also, I haven't had a bot of trouble with the Lexus LS. The S class was always at the dealership for something. The 7 series, as much as I love it and enjoy owning it, still has it's minor problems although not as much as the S class did. But, the S class was more comfortable than the 7.
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 12:58 AM   #53
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Not sure if this perception exists where OP lives, but I think of a black S class sedan as a chauffeured car. So if I were to drive one myself, I would get a different color. I might also consider the coupe version
The MB S-Coupe is truly a jaw dropper

Many years ago my father had the 80's-90's version 560 SEC and the new iterations always catch my attention.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 01:37 AM   #54
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
For comfort I vote Mercedes Benz. I would buy one with the retractable hardtop.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 02:33 AM   #55
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I like the s class coupe idea! That's is always a jaw dropper in person. Charcoal exterior with red interior
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 02:47 AM   #56
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I like the s class coupe idea! That's is always a jaw dropper in person. Charcoal exterior with red interior
Like this?? (photo not mine)

Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 04:04 AM   #57
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvad View Post
To be fair, one cannot place all the VW Auto Group brands under the same "unreliable" banner.
Have given this much thought and 100% agree, yet it is the way the VW Group treats their customers that is really the point. Thus never again a VW Group product. It is not just my experience, but of many of those who have had to deal with them and came away bewildered by the treatment (am avoiding the term abuse) from the company. One guy ponied up for a lawyer and only when the court date was being set did the VW Group replace his engine. It's a known engine BOOM of one of the VW Group cars.

The Bentley guys are experiencing a known failure of a hose that runs over the transmission. Sadly, it means engine-out to replace a $100 (their price $300) hose. Bentley refuses to help out in the least of those common problem, and there's no proper solution so it'll happen again and again.

The list goes on and on.

So basically i'd prefer supporting a company that does right by their customers when highly common problems occur. Jaguar is a great company that is doing right as are others. So yes agree not all VW Group cars are rubbish, yet if you find yourself with a car model line that eventually suffers a common problem, don't expect the VW Group to make things right or help out in any way. It may also help for you to be, or hire, and engineer to redesign the faulty defect so it does not occur again instead of just taking it to a factory service center and having them just replace things instead of honorably providing a proper solution.

Old 24 November 2016, 04:14 AM   #58
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Have given this much thought and 100% agree, yet it is the way the VW Group treats their customers that is really the point. Thus never again a VW Group product. It is not just my experience, but of many of those who have had to deal with them and came away bewildered by the treatment (am avoiding the term abuse) from the company. One guy ponied up for a lawyer and only when the court date was being set did the VW Group replace his engine. It's a known engine BOOM of one of the VW Group cars.

The Bentley guys are experiencing a known failure of a hose that runs over the transmission. Sadly, it means engine-out to replace a $100 (their price $300) hose. Bentley refuses to help out in the least of those common problem, and there's no proper solution so it'll happen again and again.

The list goes on and on.

So basically i'd prefer supporting a company that does right by their customers when highly common problems occur. Jaguar is a great company that is doing right as are others. So yes agree not all VW Group cars are rubbish, yet if you find yourself with a car model line that eventually suffers a common problem, don't expect the VW Group to make things right or help out in any way. It may also help for you to be, or hire, and engineer to redesign the faulty defect so it does not occur again instead of just taking it to a factory service center and having them just replace things instead of honorably providing a proper solution.
Hate to tell you...I could replace VW with ANY brand and you will find someone encountering the same issues rest assured.

It's the nature of cars.

And Jaguar/Land Rover---LMFAO--don't get me started
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 04:40 AM   #59
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Like this?? (photo not mine)

Yes that will do!

It's the gorgeous roofline and lack of a b pillar that really looks luxury!

As far as VW I had great service from Porsche every step of the way
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 04:41 AM   #60
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ok, point taken. Perhaps it is that my friends and self got extremely burnt that it sooo soured the VW Group forever for many of us. Plus there are many other great cars out there right now that VW Group is soooo very easy to avoid.

So, about that killer awesome Mercedes....