The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 December 2016, 10:51 AM   #1
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
A New Computer for Christmas

Mary has given me the go ahead to buy a new computer for Christmas. Although I used to do tech support for Apple products I've never been a fan. Having worked in engineering for most of my life I've been using MS products since early DOS and I've been very happy with the changes in the last few years with the introduction of touch screens and currently Windows 10.

I went down to the Microsoft store and decided to get the Surface Book with Performance Base with the i7 uP, 2 gig video chip (NVIDEA G force), 8 gig of ram, and the 256gig ss drive (upgradeable through addition of an SD card for greater drive capacity).

I've played with idea of spending another $300 and upgrading to 16 gig and 500 gig SSD. Although this seems attractive to me I'm really not certain what the extra 8 gig of ram would do for me. For the most part I use the computer for editing photos and surfing. I'm considering adding an xbox controller and using it for some gaming as well although I've not been into that for a long time.

Anyone familiar with the advantages of getting a more decked out system or are my instinct correct in that the extra power would be wasted on my paltry needs?

Thanks!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I'm not an IT guru, but I do know that Photoshop runs more smoothly with 16 FB of ram. And, images will burn up storage quickly.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
It's hard to predict what you'll use the machine for in the future so guessing at the configuration that's best isn't easy. From a dollars perspective, $300 to double the memory is a good deal. As I'm sure you know you can't add RAM to tablets/ultra books so if you don't get enough you're stuck. I'd get 16 GB if I were you... and when I bought a Dell XPS15 earlier this year I went with the 16GB option.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2016, 02:39 PM   #4
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
You can never have too much RAM. 8gb is entry level nowadays so if you run multiple programs at once or use memory intensive programs like photoshop, you want as much as you can get.

I don't know anything about the MS surface products but if the RAM in soldered onto the board, like Macs, you won't be able to upgrade so it may be worth the investment.

$300 for twice the RAM and twice the storage seems like a bargain to me
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2016, 02:48 PM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I'm not an IT guru, but I do know that Photoshop runs more smoothly with 16 FB of ram. And, images will burn up storage quickly.
I know what you mean. Hmm, what to do.

Old 7 December 2016, 03:10 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I agree the new MacBook Pro is not what I'd get either. And that's coming from a multi gen MacBook Air user. No USB ports? What did Jony do, take ludes???

Speed - there is no substitute for editing IMHO. So i7 is good plan.

RAM - 16 GB is better if you branch into video as well. And I don't think they have more on tap.

As for the ssd, the surface will have 1TB available soon. Storage can be an unnecessary extra expense when you consider the usb3 options. An external bay from WD would give you options up to 32TB and be futureproof since it stays even if you get another laptop in 3 years.

You might add a few hundred to get a big display for your editing and future gaming. I get that it's a laptop, but big is best when touching up.

The one thing I love about my mediacenter is the 24" display. And now you can get an HP DreamColor up to 31.5" for less than $600...

Just my 2¢

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2016, 04:00 PM   #7
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree the new MacBook Pro is not what I'd get either. And that's coming from a multi gen MacBook Air user. No USB ports? What did Jony do, take ludes???

Speed - there is no substitute for editing IMHO. So i7 is good plan.

RAM - 16 GB is better if you branch into video as well. And I don't think they have more on tap.

As for the ssd, the surface will have 1TB available soon. Storage can be an unnecessary extra expense when you consider the usb3 options. An external bay from WD would give you options up to 32TB and be futureproof since it stays even if you get another laptop in 3 years.

You might add a few hundred to get a big display for your editing and future gaming. I get that it's a laptop, but big is best when touching up.

The one thing I love about my mediacenter is the 24" display. And now you can get an HP DreamColor up to 31.5" for less than $600...

Just my 2¢
Yeah, $300 for double the Ram and SSD seems like money well spent. Can't be added later so now is the time. It'll be fun to hood it up to the 53in HDTV as well.

Old 7 December 2016, 06:33 PM   #8
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Spend the extra 300.
Old 7 December 2016, 10:48 PM   #9
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Spend the extra 300.
x2
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2016, 11:15 PM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i only use computers at work, smart phone the rest of the time so i cant help.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2016, 11:26 PM   #11
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Can never get enough RAM as well the i7 is the top Intel chip I believe or at least right up there.
Old 7 December 2016, 11:38 PM   #12
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Both RAM and SSD prices have been going up and will so until 2018 due to supply and demand.

A 500GB SSD is much better than a 250GB. Go for it, especially with SSD prices increasing.

Even though I can't eat up 8GB RAM, it's better to have 16 or 32GB as a buffer.

I hope you have a regular drive included in there as a 500GB drive will fill fast. As an amateur photog, I easily have 2TB of photos in storage and still running out. Shooting in RAW eats space. Photo editing is barely affected by SSD performance (CPU is king for editing) so a traditional hard drive is best for storage.

On a side note, if you can choose the mfg for the SSD, go with a Samsung Pro 850 or 950 if you can. Samsung is by far the king of the hill. Intel is a good choice if you can't get Samsung.

Xbox controller for gaming? heretic!!
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2016, 12:18 AM   #13
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
Both RAM and SSD prices have been going up and will so until 2018 due to supply and demand.

A 500GB SSD is much better than a 250GB. Go for it, especially with SSD prices increasing.

Even though I can't eat up 8GB RAM, it's better to have 16 or 32GB as a buffer.

I hope you have a regular drive included in there as a 500GB drive will fill fast. As an amateur photog, I easily have 2TB of photos in storage and still running out. Shooting in RAW eats space. Photo editing is barely affected by SSD performance (CPU is king for editing) so a traditional hard drive is best for storage.

On a side note, if you can choose the mfg for the SSD, go with a Samsung Pro 850 or 950 if you can. Samsung is by far the king of the hill. Intel is a good choice if you can't get Samsung.

Xbox controller for gaming? heretic!!
So is my price going up; I slightly miscalculated. It's $400 not $300. Still it seems like the way to go. Returning for the upgrade on Friday. With the Surface Book the SSD is fixed; not certain who but I believe it works well. Oh and the controller might just be a pipe dream.

Old 8 December 2016, 02:09 AM   #14
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
You can never have too much RAM or too much processing speed.
Today's needs for both become outdated very quickly.
Old 8 December 2016, 02:17 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Go for 16 as today's code is resource hogs compared to coding circa 2000. As for HD, just make sure you get the fastest out there, which i think is Samsung.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2016, 02:55 AM   #16
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Storage flys by a lot faster than it did back in the day.
Every image and movie file is a lot larger than it was.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2016, 08:35 AM   #17
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

It's done; the upgrade cost $300; while there I got to check out the Surface Studio which was pretty amazing. Now to get a nice monitor to go with it. (Not to mention an xbox controller.)

Old 9 December 2016, 12:04 PM   #18
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
It's done; the upgrade cost $300; while there I got to check out the Surface Studio which was pretty amazing. Now to get a nice monitor to go with it. (Not to mention an xbox controller.)
Good choice Lee. You'll be happy with the upgrade.
Old 11 December 2016, 04:24 AM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I hope so; while I was there I got to preview the Surface Studio. OMG is all I can say!!! I've never seen anything like it before. I almost want to swap for this desktop computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzMLA8YIgG0

Old 11 December 2016, 04:32 AM   #20
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks, I hope so...

Thursday I decided to make the return and went to the MSS on the way to work. Did the facial recognition at the store and didn't open it again until Friday afternoon. At any rate, opened it at home on Friday afternoon and nada; wouldn't recognize nor would it accept anything other than the OK response to the fact that it wasn't logging me in. Basically bricking. I didn't check the package to make certain it was the correct model but put it away and headed back to the store. Explained the problem and verified they'd given me the 1 gig video model instead of the 2 gig Performance Base. So bricked and the incorrect model yielded me paying an additional $100 and finally getting the correct computer that I'm typing on now. In the middle of the updates. Liking it so far. I wonder if it was intentional that they sent me off with the older model. Why would anyone want the older one with less battery life and less capable video to save $100? Also met the HR person for the north east. A very sweet lady at least from a customer perspective.

Also, while I was there I got to preview the Surface Studio. OMG is all I can say!!! I've never seen anything like it before. I almost want to swap for this desktop computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzMLA8YIgG0

Old 11 December 2016, 07:07 AM   #21
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post

$300 for twice the RAM and twice the storage seems like a bargain to me
Of course, do it, your machine will run better like that, even if it would run fine with 2 times less, I just did it on my 4 year old Macbook Pro, ok I paid around 100 dollars but I am in Odessa Ukraine, so for the US or Europe I think 300USD is a steal
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2016, 10:07 AM   #22
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Good decision! Always pays to buy more computer than you currently need to future proof it. 8gb of ram is the new baseline and 16gb gives a bigger bucket to work with. External fast memory can always be added in compact portable packages such as the Samsung SSDs viai USB 3 ports, otherwise there is cloud storage. Digital pics, especially RAW, are pigs on storage. I had the same dilema and couldn't transition to Apple, so got a surface pro 4. Enjoy you're new computer! Cheers!
TickTockChuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2016, 01:49 PM   #23
77T

Cool product, the Surface Studio, but $3500 for the i7 is a bit more than I'd pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 13 December 2016, 12:41 AM   #24
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Cool product, the Surface Studio, but $3500 for the i7 is a bit more than I'd pay.

Well the Surface Book top ends at about $3400; Apple only lists their base prices so it's hard to make a comparison. All I can say is the display is amazing and it is unlike any computer I've ever seen. If I was a publishing pro or wanted a really good desk top I think I'd go for it.

Old 13 December 2016, 12:58 AM   #25
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Well the Surface Book top ends at about $3400; Apple only lists their base prices so it's hard to make a comparison. All I can say is the display is amazing and it is unlike any computer I've ever seen. If I was a publishing pro or wanted a really good desk top I think I'd go for it.
Sold!

Where do I get the Surface Studio? That is very cool.
Old 13 December 2016, 12:58 AM   #26
77T

I was comparing to the tricked out iMac. If you haven't see the big 4K Retina display yet, you can see same density.

The Studio has the advantage of touch screen for artists and photo touch up work I suppose.

Old 13 December 2016, 01:11 AM   #27
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I was comparing to the tricked out iMac. If you haven't see the big 4K Retina display yet, you can see same density.

The Studio has the advantage of touch screen for artists and photo touch up work I suppose.

I already have most of this hardware in my laptop. But, I don't have the touchscreen. I think the touchscreen and accessories add an incredibly powerful tool for graphic design productivity that just isn't there with a mouse and keyboard.
Old 13 December 2016, 01:21 AM   #28
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I stopped by the Microsoft store this weekend and got a chance to try out the Surface. Nice product, but I'll be keeping my MBP.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2016, 10:50 AM   #29
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I stopped by the Microsoft store this weekend and got a chance to try out the Surface. Nice product, but I'll be keeping my MBP.
Did you get to check out the Studio; that is amazing.

Old 13 December 2016, 11:51 PM   #30
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Always buy the best u can afford. Nobody complains about having too many resources. And yes I've been in a tech role before. Upgrading is great, if u do it from the jump but most don't. Both of my computers (1 mac 1 windows) have 16gb etc..... if I could put 32 in, I would.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote