The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 December 2016, 10:25 PM   #1
nick h
Banned

Watch: rolex 16200/116231
Porsche 911 Turbo S - your views?

thinking of buying a 2010 car in the UK

if you have owned this car your advice would be much appreciated

it would be a 'summer car' as i have a Range Rover for UK winters
nick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2016, 10:29 PM   #2
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I have a 991 Turbo, its the later model but still I think the model that you're after would be as fun to drive. However, I am not sure of the interior comfort and tech level of the 997 since the 991 had a significant update to the interior.

Basically, I love my Porsche.

Good luck with your decision.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2016, 10:31 PM   #3
mapalfa
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
A friend had one and sold it for a Boxter. I'm not sure which Boxter model but he says the Boxter is more fun as you can push it harder without it biting back. The only issue he found was thinking that people bought one because he couldn't afford a 911. Probably no different to some people's reaction to thinking a NDS was the cheaper option.
mapalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2016, 11:01 PM   #4
nick h
Banned

thanks for comments guys

i deliberately did not ask on car forums as the 'fan boys/girls' never give an objective reply
Old 17 December 2016, 11:04 PM   #5
nick h
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soly20 View Post
I have a 991 Turbo, its the later model but still I think the model that you're after would be as fun to drive. However, I am not sure of the interior comfort and tech level of the 997 since the 991 had a significant update to the interior.

Basically, I love my Porsche.

Good luck with your decision.
thank you very much

the UK price for the car is £84K - how does that compare to US prices?

do you think i should buy a later car as i can afford it?

i was looking for 'value' but as cars are not my area of expertise i do not want to make an expensive mistake
Old 17 December 2016, 11:06 PM   #6
texex91
"TRF" Member

The newer ones are great cars and wicked fast. I had a GT3 and absolutely loved it. Have/had several friends with new TTS one sold it because it became too 'boring' looks wise for him (his words). Have another friend who uses his all the time, but also has 4-5 other cars, so never gets bored.

Can't speak for a 2010, but if it's what sings to you and great price go for it!

texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2016, 11:40 PM   #7
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Having owned a 996 and having kept up on the newer models, if it were me I would buy the best 991 model I could afford. Even if it were just a non-turbo S model. 991 was significant improvement over 997 IMO.

Oh, and we always need pics, right. Note the sign over my head.

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 12:09 AM   #8
tvad
"TRF" Member

I own a 991S and I love it. I previously owned a Cayman 987.2S and Cayman 981S. The Cayman 981S was a tremendous car. The 991S is more substantial. I love(d) them all.

Those experienced with the 997 and 991 mostly agree the 991 is a significant upgrade.

You will likely love a Porsche Turbo S, but which model is open to debate.
tvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 02:20 AM   #9
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick h View Post
thank you very much

the UK price for the car is £84K - how does that compare to US prices?

do you think i should buy a later car as i can afford it?

i was looking for 'value' but as cars are not my area of expertise i do not want to make an expensive mistake
I think you should go for the 991 if you can afford it. Go for a test drive, I am sure you will know exactly what you want right after you drive it.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 02:30 AM   #10
tvad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Porsche cars are expensive to maintain. I'm not sure an out-of-warranty Porsche is a good value proposition. I think you'll find many of the Porsche owners on the car forums keep their cars until the warranty expires, and then sell them or trade them for a newer in-warranty car.

Check this out:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-porsche-cayman-s-inline6-photo-666685-s-original.jpg (83.8 KB, 231 views)
Old 18 December 2016, 02:34 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I had a 991 and it was a fantastic car. I miss it and will probably get another. That said, the 997 is legendary. I think a 997.2 turbo is an excellent car to buy. Still super quick and very sharp exterior.

If I could have any new Porsche it would be gt3rs folllowed by gt3 though. Those NA screamers make me smile. (Aside from the unicorn 911r)
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 03:40 AM   #12
jw0n
"TRF" Member

2010 Turbo S, so 997.2; manual or auto? If auto, the PDK box is much better than the Tiptronic box from older 997.1 - hated the rubberband gear changes. The 997 Turbo S is okay to drive, but given the price point, I would strongly consider a 991 C2S; much improved interior and kit, and really fantastic to drive.

That, or any 993 within the price range (as long as its a manual).

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 04:06 AM   #13
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
I've been a Porsche fan for as long as I could understand them; and I convinced family members and friends buy them when their times had come. As others have said, there is an affinity toward the 991 so try and get in that and see how it feels. There's a reason for the hype. It's a great brand and if you enjoy the driving part of driving, you will be hard pressed to find a better example than Porsche. Happy Hunting!

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 04:07 AM   #14
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I have the newest model, and it is the finest car I have ever driven. It is docile when it needs to be and a terror when you want it to be. It is much more balanced in the corners as Porsches were in the past. It is almost idiot proof until you reach your limits as a driver; the car is much more capable then most drivers could ever dare.
As far as fit and finish, it's pretty complete; add-ons quickly drive the base price up some $25,000.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 05:51 AM   #15
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Having owned a 996 and having kept up on the newer models, if it were me I would buy the best 991 model I could afford. Even if it were just a non-turbo S model. 991 was significant improvement over 997 IMO...
Agree, just as the 997 was much improved over the 996, so the 991 is the next step in the evolutionary scale, except the fact that once past the "s" it's not available in a manual transmission. But overall it should be a better car given the sticker price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I had a 991 and it was a fantastic car. I miss it and will probably get another. That said, the 997 is legendary. I think a 997.2 turbo is an excellent car to buy. Still super quick and very sharp exterior.

If I could have any new Porsche it would be gt3rs folllowed by gt3 though. Those NA screamers make me smile. (Aside from the unicorn 911r)
LOL! Yep, sadly it appears most of the 911R's will pretty much just stay parked in the garage next to the equally rarely seen 918 of its owner.
Old 18 December 2016, 06:43 AM   #16
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Another vote for the 991. I had a 13' C2S. Looking forward to my next one.

I had driven a 997.1 Turbo and while it was faster, there is no question the 991 is a better overall automobile.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 07:07 AM   #17
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I would go the GT3 routs for the same money. The GT3 is a car that ticks all the boxes for me, more involved when you drive and makes your hair stand, the sound of that motor is insane.I have friends who got quickly bored of the turbo S as it has much less soul than the NA motors. Have fun shopping.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 07:18 PM   #18
nick h
Banned

many thanks for all your comments - very much appreciated

a few more details about the car

a) 18K miles
b) Ruby Red Metallic
c) 2 years Porsche warranty

a few friends in the UK say it MAY be an investment given the very rare colour and low mileage?

it would only be used as a summer 'toy' probably only about 3K miles per year as i have a Range Rover L405 as my daily drive

i have had brand new Carrera 2 and 4 on weekend loan from the dealership and whilst they are great cars i walked away not wanting to buy one

i have previously driven a Turbo S and loved it but did not buy as the miles were high and it was white

i have asked for full details/history/spec/more photographs from the dealership before i travel 300 miles to test drive/view
Old 19 December 2016, 01:09 AM   #19
Dyim
"TRF" Member

IMO, modern non GT Porsche is not really an investment. Unicorn like 991 R would be an investment. Even the prices are softening in the 991 RS market.

I think special color such as signal yellow, viper green, slate grey....only add value to GT cars, not the non GT.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't think there is any thing special with 997 turbo. You have a low mileage, unique color car.

If you have a 991.1 GTS, or any GT cars, that is different.

Most of the time, you don't make $ driving a Porsche. You just lose less depending on what you are driving. 997 RS, GT 2, air cooled models are exceptions.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2016, 01:49 AM   #20
tvad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i have had brand new Carrera 2 and 4 on weekend loan from the dealership and whilst they are great cars i walked away not wanting to buy one
I would ask yourself why these cars were not for you.

While the Turbo will drive differently, it may not matter if you're driving normally on public roads. If you plan to track the car, then the experience would be different.

The interior and seat comfort will be similar...if not identical...to the cars you drove (depending on the model year of the Carrera 2 and 4).

If the Carrera 2 and 4 did not make a good enough impression on you to make a purchase, then the Turbo might not be worth the high cost to acquire.
Old 19 December 2016, 12:46 PM   #21
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Go hard core and get a 930 or a GT2 somethings scary..... They are all good anyways
zama is offline   Reply With Quote