The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 20 September 2010, 02:08 PM   #1
fc3s2k
"TRF" Member

Watch: OFFICINE PANERAI
Panerai Ferrari??

are they the TUDOR of ROLEX?
is it worth getting?
what do you guys think?
fc3s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
No I don't think they're like the tudor of rolex. They re just as expensive and have a completely different DNA. Albeit some may say they're similar to the original marinas.

However, they're just a different line, joint with ferrarri to create a watch. Just like breitling for Bentley, or iwc for amg.

But honestly, they're not my cup of tea..
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 02:51 PM   #3
fc3s2k
"TRF" Member

Watch: OFFICINE PANERAI
thanks norman i've been reading post here and there and never heard people discussing the line. I personally don't like it and some of them are very expensive, unless i have a ferrari, i will never buy one.
fc3s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 10:16 PM   #4
brainbizz

My favorite "panerai" is actually a ferrari watch. It just appeals to me but I also have a large collection and am tired of the typical PAMs. Also the ones I typically want are most likely out of reach for my AD and I really do not care to buy from elsewhere. I think they are sending their SEs to their shops and not letting the smaller ADs receive any. Therefore I am looking at other brands and the ferrari line is solid and can be had for a great deal right now. Its a shame Panerai does not take better care of their better customers but that is a separate topic.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2010, 01:10 AM   #5
mfer
"TRF" Member

IMHO Ferrari just likes to put they symbol on EVERYTHING. Just google Ferrari branding. You'll get lcd monitor, shoes, phones, pens, laptops, watches, etc.

I like the shape of the cases, not crazy about the wild colors and the Ferrari logo. I'd feel like a chump wearing a Ferrari watch without the car.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2010, 01:17 AM   #6
destrow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
IMHO Ferrari just likes to put they symbol on EVERYTHING. Just google Ferrari branding. You'll get lcd monitor, shoes, phones, pens, laptops, watches, etc.

I like the shape of the cases, not crazy about the wild colors and the Ferrari logo. I'd feel like a chump wearing a Ferrari watch without the car.
those two paragraphs say it all.
destrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2010, 01:17 AM   #7
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post

So true!

Whatever exclusivity their brand has built up on cars, they water down with their indiscriminate branding.

FWIW I'd feel awkward wearing the watch to anywhere but a Formula 1 race. And then you have to wear all red to pull it off.
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2010, 01:31 AM   #8
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

They aren't for me..
Old 21 September 2010, 01:47 AM   #9
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
so... since Ferrari is not teaming up with panerai anymore... who are they with now?

(i was reading an article about this not too long ago, but can remember the company name..)
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2010, 05:56 AM   #10
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
so... since Ferrari is not teaming up with panerai anymore... who are they with now?

(i was reading an article about this not too long ago, but can remember the company name..)
Panerai dropped the association. Fact is that I can think of no other watch brand that tries to protect it's margins more (besides Rolex) than panerai. By giving ADs little wiggle room through thin margins, they have kept the resale and exclusivity of their brand high. I doubt one sees breitling like discounts on this brand. However, the ferrari line completely undercut this. While panerai ADs gave no discounts, Ferrari dealerships were selling the exact same watches at 40% off to anybody that set foot in their showrooms. Thus panerai had to cut them loose to protect their brand.
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2010, 06:52 AM   #11
Wisconsin Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Homme View Post
While panerai ADs gave no discounts,.... .
Completely false statement. Discounts on the regular Panerai line have always been attainable, even when the economy was good.
Wisconsin Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2010, 07:37 AM   #12
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin Proud View Post
Completely false statement. Discounts on the regular Panerai line have always been attainable, even when the economy was good.
Of course, I got a discount myself. However these were more often to the tune of 10 or 20% (again like rolex) unlike the 40% to 50% that can happen with other brands....
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote