The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 March 2023, 12:42 AM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
What are your thoughts on Sinn watches?

I've suddently developed an interest in Sinn watches. I'm considering picking up a 103 Ti Diapal. I'm pretty amazed at how many functions are packed into this one watch (chrono, date, rotating bezel timer, water resistance) and I really love how the dual timezone feature is presented.

Any thoughts or experiences with this brand anyone can comment on? Does anyone have this particular model? They seem like a neat brand but it's not easy to find good information about them and it doesn't look like they have too many places to buy in the U.S.

Any comments are appeciated, positive or negative

samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 02:56 AM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I don't own one but recall a few members of a different forum who had nothing but good things to say. They're very well built and offer some neat options like you've pointed out above, especially for Chronograph watches.

For any brand that doesn't have much of a local presence, I would look into independent watch makers locally who have the ability to get parts. Either that or at least a service centre in the US.

One of my favourite brands once had a Canadian service centre, but no longer does. It was painful in this instance to have it serviced, as none of the locals could find the parts. Will that be the case here? Not necessarily, but it doesn't hurt to be aware of the possibility.

If you did end up getting one I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 03:11 AM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

It’s a value for money brand but like everything else pricing starting to creep up. The fact you can only buy from watchbuys means secondary does marginally better as everyone paid msrp
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 04:17 AM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
It’s a value for money brand but like everything else pricing starting to creep up. The fact you can only buy from watchbuys means secondary does marginally better as everyone paid msrp
That's a good point. This particular watch has been out of stock for a long time on that site for some reason. Not many out there in the secondary market in the U.S.
Old 10 March 2023, 04:18 AM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I don't own one but recall a few members of a different forum who had nothing but good things to say. They're very well built and offer some neat options like you've pointed out above, especially for Chronograph watches.

For any brand that doesn't have much of a local presence, I would look into independent watch makers locally who have the ability to get parts. Either that or at least a service centre in the US.

One of my favourite brands once had a Canadian service centre, but no longer does. It was painful in this instance to have it serviced, as none of the locals could find the parts. Will that be the case here? Not necessarily, but it doesn't hurt to be aware of the possibility.

If you did end up getting one I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years.
I hear ya. Strange that Sinn doesn't really have a presense in this country other than that one website. I have no idea where it would need to be sent for service.
Old 10 March 2023, 04:26 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Sinn are fairly common here in Germany. Buddy has been the happy owner of a Sinn chrono for many years and also did a factory tour in Frankfurt am Main. In my eyes many Sinn watches are a better value version of IWC pilot and tool watches. The current owner Lothar Schmidt is an engineer who was involved in case making at IWC in their 1990s prime before he bought Sinn some 25 years ago.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 04:45 AM   #7
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
LOVE my Sinn. Bought it 2nd hand on Helmut Sinn's 100th birthday. There is no other watch in my collection that does more at one time than this [sadly discontinued] 757 UTC. The independent UTC hand is great for travel, or can be hidden behind the 12 hour hand if you prefer.

Very cool technology w/ the tegiment steel, copper sulphate capsule, Faraday cage movement protection, & 200 meter WR. Super easy to read as well. The Diapal tech takes it to another level.

Mine had an issue w/ the chrono second hand not returning to zero. Sent it to RGM [Pennsylvania] and it was fixed for free [still under warranty] even though I was the second owner and shipped back within weeks.

Plus, it's a strap monster.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_P1270857_1024.jpg (226.2 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg MN TRF.JPG (273.7 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 10th TRF.JPG (281.4 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4731 copy.JPG (279.2 KB, 292 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 05:56 AM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
LOVE my Sinn. Bought it 2nd hand on Helmut Sinn's 100th birthday. There is no other watch in my collection that does more at one time than this [sadly discontinued] 757 UTC. The independent UTC hand is great for travel, or can be hidden behind the 12 hour hand if you prefer.

Very cool technology w/ the tegiment steel, copper sulphate capsule, Faraday cage movement protection, & 200 meter WR. Super easy to read as well. The Diapal tech takes it to another level.

Mine had an issue w/ the chrono second hand not returning to zero. Sent it to RGM [Pennsylvania] and it was fixed for free [still under warranty] even though I was the second owner and shipped back within weeks.

Plus, it's a strap monster.
dP
Thanks for replying Dan. That watch is the one that always gets my attention in the WRUW threads. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for one of those secondhand. For the one I posted above, I found exactly ONE for sale on Chrono in the U.S. Tough watch to get!
Old 10 March 2023, 05:59 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I wish I could see them in person, that is my thought
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 06:01 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Honest opinion Mike, they look a bit too busy to my eye.

Obviously I’d need to see one and handle it to know for sure.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 06:07 AM   #11
MCV
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GO Sport Evo
Love my Arktis

Here's a link to my review of the Arktis from 11 years ago:

http://watchreviewsbymcv.blogspot.co...automatic.html

Cheers,

-Marc
MCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 06:15 AM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Thanks for replying Dan. That watch is the one that always gets my attention in the WRUW threads. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for one of those secondhand. For the one I posted above, I found exactly ONE for sale on Chrono in the U.S. Tough watch to get!
Thanks, Mike!

You don't see many in the 2nd hand market much. I think that 103 is a stunner. Don't think you'd be disappointed.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 10 March 2023, 07:45 AM   #13
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I've owned a couple 356 models. Built like tanks.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 08:18 AM   #14
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Have owned several, still own a U1 Blue. Great watches for the money.

With regard to service, in the US, under warranty Watchbuys will take care of you and your watch will go to RGM Watches in PA for service. After warranty, you can send direct to RGM Watches in PA for service. They did a full service on an out of warranty U212 I owned and it was very reasonably priced and they did a great job.

Post pics if you get one!
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 08:35 AM   #15
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

RGM in Pennsylvania is the authorized Sinn service center.

I had the 856 UTC. It checks a lot of boxes...but it just felt boring. Which is typically fine with me, but for some reason, I sold it off.

The U1 with MOP dial still does it for me. Just couldn't justify the cost.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 10:17 AM   #16
Moose500
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I have a 104. Great watch for the money, but finishing is just ok. It doesn’t get much wrist time.
Moose500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 10:31 AM   #17
lab rat
"TRF" Member

Bought 836 for the oldest son. Great watch. They have very interesting limited editions, but somehow I always miss them.

The most famous ones are EZMs, thanks to Tim Mosso, but two others also have a special place in my heart: Navitimer and Bundeswehr 1550 sg.

During the quartz crisis Helmut Sinn allegedly bought original machines for those two models from Heuer and Breitling. If you want proper originals of those classic watches, these days they are Sinn branded. The story seems is too good to be truth, but I did a little researching and now I believe its true for Bundeswehr 1550sg. Sinn was in charge of repairs of this model even when Heuer made it, so it’s not really strange for those machines to end in their possession considering all the circumstances. As for Navitimer, I am not as sure about this, but I wouldn’tbe susprised if that’s true also.

Great watches, interesting story behind them. Will probably buy at least one for myself. Maybe U diver, they are made from U-boat steel. Proper tool watches.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 10:37 AM   #18
lab rat
"TRF" Member

Bundeswehr is such a beauty. This one is reedition for Revolution watch, thus the star and faux patina. Usually it’s without those things, the way I prefer it.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 01:55 PM   #19
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

I recently took possession of a Sinn U50 Professional. So far — just a few weeks in — I’m loving it. Great size, well built, and sturdy. It’s not the answer for a one watch collection (too utilitarian IMHO) but it’s great in rotation. And as Dan stated, most Sinn’s are strap monsters.

WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 02:50 PM   #20
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

My dad has an OG bell & ross x Sinn chrono. Cool watch!
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 12:43 AM   #21
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV View Post
Here's a link to my review of the Arktis from 11 years ago:

http://watchreviewsbymcv.blogspot.co...automatic.html

Cheers,

-Marc
Cool, there's one of those for sale currenly on this forum. Nice looking watch!
Old 11 March 2023, 12:45 AM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Appreciate the feedback. These strike me as real tool watches with a little less visual flair than some of the Swiss watches. Not saying that's a bad thing keep in mind. These looks like watches for the watch nerd in all of us.
Old 11 March 2023, 01:42 AM   #23
Matteo E
"TRF" Member

I’m a big fan, have a 556a on bracelet from 2011 with the ETA movement and an R500 1/300.

They are both my travel/beach watches, the R500 is perfect for summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matteo E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 01:52 AM   #24
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Appreciate the feedback. These strike me as real tool watches with a little less visual flair than some of the Swiss watches. Not saying that's a bad thing keep in mind. These looks like watches for the watch nerd in all of us.
It's the perfect brand to wear in the company of watch nerds. Even the most jaded of collectors give props to Sinn's approach to the tool watch concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo E View Post
I’m a big fan, have a 556a on bracelet from 2011 with the ETA movement and an R500 1/300.

They are both my travel/beach watches, the R500 is perfect for summer.

Love that R500!

All this talk of Sinning has me enjoying this today.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th TRF.JPG (272.2 KB, 168 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 12 April 2023, 10:46 AM   #25
DD58
"TRF" Member

I’ve been looking at the 556 A RS love it and it has a date function. That makes it great. Have to pull the trigger soon maybe my by bday in a month.

DD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 12:04 PM   #26
army scope jockey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Eterna IDF Super K
EZM1 left hand crown for sale those GSG9 door kickers.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
army scope jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 02:20 PM   #27
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
103 Ti Diapal is an amazing Sinn. Looks fantastic, great size and the 12 hour second time zone is slick. It is packed with complications and is rated to 200m, but it’s thick as a result. The domed crystal helps keep the thicker Sinn’s wearable. Sinn’s display case backs are much nicer than one would expect at this price point. That movement is quite pretty.

Chrono24 has some good Sinn dealers who ship to the USA. There available at Frankfurt airport if you happen to fly through. Always a nice selection at A gates. I bought a 857 UTC there in 2019.

This is my Sinn 30-06. Like the 103 Diapal, it’s a powerful complication machine, and one of my favorite watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 210BB1E4-F260-48FB-A299-30E45775AC40.jpeg (139.6 KB, 86 views)
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote