The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27 April 2024, 04:20 AM   #1
kstevens7236
"TRF" Member

thoughts/support on rolex 5512 meters first

Hello rolexforums,

I recently picked up a rolex submariner 5512. This is not my first vintage watch. However, I'm not as familiar with submariners from the period. I have mostly owned watches from the 1970s/1980s. I am seeking some insight on this 5512. If the watch is correct for the period? Any support from members of the forum who are experienced with late 1960's matte dial Rolex watches would be appreciated.

The watch serial number starts with 186. I believe that dates the watch to 1968. The patina has aged to a pumpkin color. The hands have some age and minor cracking. The hands and dial match in color.

I am curious to get thoughts on the dial and hands. The hour makers have a waffle like texture. When exposed to a UV light in a dark room, the hands and hour markers do not react at all. When the UV light is turned off, the hands and dial do not continue to glow. I know some mid to late 60's watches will glow for a little while due to a zinc sulfide mixture. This one does not glow after being exposed to a UV light. The pearl does. Which I believe is a replacement.

It's difficult to describe the lume under UV light. It does not react. I can see little sparkly specks on the hands/hour marks. The lume looks slightly dirty under UV light. But I'm not sure if this is due to age. I will try to attach some pictures of the watch. Admittedly, it is difficult to capture the lume under UV light.

I'm also curious to know if this bezel insert is correct for this watch?

The bracelet is a USA C&I bracelet that says 1-70. Caseback has 5513/IV.67 inside.

I think a lot of the value of this watch is in the dial, so I want to make sure everything is correct. I would love to hear from people who have owned or have experience with these watches. What are your thoughts on the dial and watch in general? I recognize that this is challenging to check over the internet. But any help is appreciated.

If more pictures are helpful, I can try to provide more. I will mention that I am in my return period for the watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5512 pic 1.jpg (149.3 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg 5512 pic 3.jpg (104.2 KB, 485 views)
File Type: jpg 5512 pic 6.jpg (107.5 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg 5512 pic 7.jpg (81.1 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg 5512 pic 8.jpg (87.6 KB, 477 views)
kstevens7236 is offline   Reply With Quote