The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 14 February 2016, 03:50 PM   #1
Fjweld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 1601,
Thoughts on Detroit Michigan....

Watch maker Shinola???? I've heard great things about this stateside watch company doing great things for the community while making a solid watch. Anyone have one? Thoughts on the product? Would it be a good dress watch? Thanks!!!
Fjweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 04:32 PM   #2
denvercenturion
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
I own 2 Shinola watches and I think they are fantastic. As far as being a dress watch they should do just fine. They do a lot of great stuff for the community and by hiring a lot of people stateside. That said the watch is not 100% US made as far as I know but still a solid timepiece nonetheless.
denvercenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2016, 11:11 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Just do a Google search of the company and you will see all the good and a bit of bad about the company. I like the concept for the company and applaud them for the work in Detroit, which at best is a challenge. The watches are carried by a local AD and I have handled them before and came away saying that they are cool but easily twice the cost of where they should be.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 04:20 AM   #4
Fjweld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 1601,
Thanks for the heads up all... I do a lot of business in Mich and think my next trip up will be "paying it forward" by owning a piece of this company on my wrist. It's only $$$ right
Fjweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 06:44 AM   #5
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I like some of their designs and appreciate the work they are doing in America, but some of their branding is a bit dubious.

As I understand it, Shinola watches are assembled in Detroit with parts mainly from Switzerland and some from Thailand.

They use the "Built in Detroit" slogan on all their watches. Some might consider that a bit misleading.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 06:52 AM   #6
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Shinola has some nice designs. The movements are sourced from Ronda in Switzerland. IIRC, the case, sapphire and dial comes from China and the straps come from Florida. Everything is assembled in Detroit.

IMO, Shinola is more of a lifestyle brand since they sell more than just watches (leather goods, bicycles, etc...). That may/may not be a good thing depending on who you ask.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 05:57 AM   #7
bigjon
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC TT, Sub C
You might also look at the Detroit watch company. Detroitwatchco.com
I haven't seen one in person but they look nice on the website. I own one of the early Shinola watches and it is a nice, fun, casual watch. The Detoit Watch company has some models that look a little dressier.
bigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 06:39 AM   #8
Runfar
"TRF" Member

I like the SHINOLAS_ I have two and I too read the bad press- the whole Made in USA vs not stuff and connection tot he cheesy brothers watch company- but they are creating jobs in Detroit- they are creating a lifestyle brand that focuses on quality at an affordable price it seems and the designs are fresh and classy IMO-
Runfar is offline   Reply With Quote