The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 May 2016, 08:21 AM   #1
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Guidance on a pre-owned Aquanaut

Have the opportunity to acquire a 2011 Aquanaut, model 5167 18-001, the so called jumbo. Pic below, not mine but I believe this photo is the model. Tried it on at AD, great condition, watch has had a Patek servicing, comes with original owner papers, highly reputable dealer in NJ, so I'm confident in the transaction. Price is just under $15k. Good deal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (189.5 KB, 497 views)
Old 29 May 2016, 08:40 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Sounds good if you like the Aquanaut with the metal bracelet. They are more popular with the tropical rubber strap, but some people do prefer the metal bracelet.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 09:12 AM   #3
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Personally I prefer the rubber strap version as the bracelet for this piece just seems odd to me but that is just my opinion.
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 09:20 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Sounds good if you like the Aquanaut with the metal bracelet. They are more popular with the tropical rubber strap, but some people do prefer the metal bracelet.
Just what I was thinking. I'd get it on rubber and save some cash.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 09:23 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
i don't know that the aquanaut has ever been accurately referred to as the jumbo?

and

i understand early models originally with bracelet do not accommodate the composite strap, that feature came sometime later, 2011 may be the transitional year?

of course only important if you are considering putting it on a composite strap… as many other posts will agree the composite is generally preferred, so flipping down the road would be easier… again only if you think that may be a possibility for you?
Old 29 May 2016, 09:27 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I believe the 5165 was a bit smaller at 38mm and some people referred to the 5167 at 40mm as the jumbo, when Patek had both the 5165 and 5167 in production. I believe they discontinued the 5165 shortly after its release and the term jumbo has not been used since.

Here is an old thread where a forum members talks about some historical Aquanaut watches:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=36306
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 10:32 AM   #7
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Excellent watch and sounds like a good price
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 12:36 PM   #8
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Expected price, not great but decent.
Old 29 May 2016, 02:29 PM   #9
KarlS
Banned

I think the price is ok as long as you love it on a bracelet versus tropical. And to be honest if you love it does $ 500 really matter either way? Enjoy it
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 03:42 PM   #10
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
x2. I just can't see the Aquanaut on anything other than rubber.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 05:11 PM   #11
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Wait, seems to me that even on tropical this is a great price, and AFAIK, you can switch from bracelet to strap on the Aqua, which is not the case for the Nautilus, so if it seems good I would go for it, but would get the tropical strap with clasp, for me it is a must have on this watch
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 05:17 PM   #12
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i like the bracelet ,, from memory it may be the later ones with the curved rubber strap that cant be swapped out as the strap has two metal pins in its ends that locate into holes in the case , but i seem to remember that the holes are not in the case if its supplied on a metal bracelet , but i dont know when the change came about , but well worth checking .
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 08:32 PM   #13
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Just what I was thinking. I'd get it on rubber and save some cash.
Have you ever seen a pre owned with bracelet for 15k$??

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Expected price, not great but decent.
I have never seen or expected a bracelet version for 15k$
Excellent price

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post
x2. I just can't see the Aquanaut on anything other than rubber.
Me neither. Tropical is the way to go.
The bracelet retail is close enough to the nautilus retail and for that price difference most people would prefer the nautilus.

However, if ever you decide to go tropical, the tropical strap plus clasp is still cheaper to purchase than purchasing a bracelet. Meaning, if you initally bought the tropical and wanted to switch to bracelet, in the end this usually costs more.

I would probably never consider the 5167 on bracelet but I would expect to pay that kind of money (15k$) for a version with tropical strap, not bracelet (which usually carries a premium over the tropcial onyl versions).

Again, I think its an excellent deal if at some point you want to wear it on a bracelet.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 08:41 PM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
Have you ever seen a pre owned with bracelet for 15k$??

I have never seen or expected a bracelet version for 15k$
Excellent price

Me neither. Tropical is the way to go.
The bracelet retail is close enough to the nautilus retail and for that price difference most people would prefer the nautilus.

However, if ever you decide to go tropical, the tropical strap plus clasp is still cheaper to purchase than purchasing a bracelet. Meaning, if you initally bought the tropical and wanted to switch to bracelet, in the end this usually costs more.

I would probably never consider the 5167 on bracelet but I would expect to pay that kind of money (15k$) for a version with tropical strap, not bracelet (which usually carries a premium over the tropcial onyl versions).

Again, I think its an excellent deal if at some point you want to wear it on a bracelet.
True that is a good price for the bracelet, still think you can get a better price on a 2011 on tropical, otherwise I'd just buy new.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 08:47 PM   #15
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True that is a good price for the bracelet, still think you can get a better price on a 2011 on tropical, otherwise I'd just buy new.
I fully agree. I would most likeley (never say never) never wear a 5167 on bracelet myself. As such I would do the same as you and go for the tropical right off the bat. At current pre owned price levels for that one it makes no sense to go pre owned imo.

Purchase smart, look in uk, germany, switzerland or anywhere else where you get a good amount of vat refund.
Places like hk might seem attractive on account of the many stories about getting 10-20% discount, but often in those places the retail is already at a higher level compard to EU/Swiss retail prices.
Old 29 May 2016, 09:49 PM   #16
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
If you can!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 11:17 PM   #17
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your comments, will check on adaptability to the strap. And yes, availability of the piece, new or pre-owned, strap or bracelet, is limited, at least around me.
Old 29 May 2016, 11:31 PM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Price sounds good for me. I got 14500 for mine in tropical on trade. It was out of warranty 2013/14 purchase decent shape
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 08:47 AM   #19
de66
"TRF" Member

Btw,.when you say you tried it on at AD, was this AD selling on consignment?
Or was this AD selling it directly?

I am asking because again, for a bracelet its an excellent price thats hard to best imo.
Prices vary but bear in mind that dalers usually have overhead that needs to be covered, purchasing from a private seller might give you a couple of hundred bucks more advantage (dont expect much more - 5167 and 5711 prices are rock solid)

Have you enquired about availability abroad?
Old 30 May 2016, 09:45 AM   #20
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
$15k is a good price.

Just note, the composite bracelet is amazingly comfortable.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 10:06 AM   #21
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Btw,.when you say you tried it on at AD, was this AD selling on consignment?
Or was this AD selling it directly?

I am asking because again, for a bracelet its an excellent price thats hard to best imo.
Prices vary but bear in mind that dalers usually have overhead that needs to be covered, purchasing from a private seller might give you a couple of hundred bucks more advantage (dont expect much more - 5167 and 5711 prices are rock solid)

Have you enquired about availability abroad?
Not sure the arrangement with the prior owner, but I understand it is a long term customer of this fine jeweler/AD, he's providing all original documentation. I know the strap is preferable to the bracelet, but the piece seems to be scarce, thought I'd get one while I can. I looked it over quite closely first time around, I purchased my Reverso from this sales woman, been treated fairly in the past. Going in tomorrow to finalize.
Old 30 May 2016, 10:38 AM   #22
christianj
Banned

IMHO the price is very reasonable and if you like the bracelet I would go for it. I recently looked at a preowned bracelet one at an AD near me and they were asking around $18k. Bracelet wasn't for me so luckily I found one on a rubber strap about a month later from my regular AD.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 06:36 PM   #23
Garybaldi
"TRF" Member

I am looking at the same model, same year but in the UK. Price is £12,950 from a PP AD, all papers and box etc. Price new here is around £14,400, but contacted a couple of AD's and no sign of one coming in soon. The price you have been quoted looks very reasonable! I would also want to switch between bracelet and strap so intrested to hear more.

Good luck with your decision!
Garybaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 10:15 PM   #24
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Not sure the arrangement with the prior owner, but I understand it is a long term customer of this fine jeweler/AD, he's providing all original documentation. I know the strap is preferable to the bracelet, but the piece seems to be scarce, thought I'd get one while I can. I looked it over quite closely first time around, I purchased my Reverso from this sales woman, been treated fairly in the past. Going in tomorrow to finalize.
Great! I think you got a good deal on the bracelet version
And congrats!!
Old 31 May 2016, 03:36 AM   #25
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great! I think you got a good deal on the bracelet version
And congrats!!
I agree :thumbs:

Once again I am left frustrate, on how much cheaper buying a Patek is in the USA:banged:

I say, "Go for it"
Old 31 May 2016, 03:58 AM   #26
josephvman
Banned

That's a great price for an Aquanaut on a bracelet, or a strap for that matter, so congrats! It's interesting, but I'm not sure the bracelet model sells for more than the strap model on the secondhand market, which is great if you favor the bracelet.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2016, 11:15 AM   #27
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Done deal, all in for 14k even. The watch is a beauty, all docs were in order, certified appraisal, sized perfectly. And a beautiful box. The case will accept the Tropical strap, which along with the beautiful polished deployment clasp, is only $1,260 ! Maybe for a birthday present. Thanks for your comments.
Of course, my wife looks at it and say "uhh, kind of looks like your other watches"
Old 2 June 2016, 11:19 AM   #28
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Nice job.
Old 2 June 2016, 11:24 AM   #29
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Oh, and the way it sits on my wrist, lower than my Explorer, even with a date complication, is fantastic. Conforms to the shape of my wrist, not Piaget flat, but it is very comfortable.
Old 2 June 2016, 11:32 AM   #30
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Congrats! And nice price!
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote